Brand New Ideas for Programs | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i like the idea of the Cranberries medley, but Zombie and Dreams don't sound good together, maybe zombie and promises, or promises and salvation

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i like the idea of the Cranberries medley, but Zombie and Dreams don't sound good together, maybe zombie and promises, or promises and salvation

You know I'm such a fool for you.
You've got me wrapped around your finger...

Hi Elektra! :)

It's true, you know. ;)

"Zombies" would make such a fun programme on it's own. I can totally imagine somebody skating to it. Lots of arm action, but not in the way we are used to! :laugh:

And I agree that it wouldn't go well with "Dreams".

Maybe Dreams and Linger?

I am trying to imagine how they could be edited together and, if I am totally honest, I am not sure they would work.

But, I do think both those songs would make good programmes on their own.

i like it. anyway my favourite Cranberries song is Daffodil Lament, but i can't see a program on it (Daffodil Lament and No Need to Argue...the funeral party :biggrin:)

Nothing wrong with skating to funeral music. How many great programmes have we seen to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" or Chopin's "Prelude in C minor, Opus 28, Number 20" (or, as I like to call it, "Could It Be Magic - The Funeral Mix"! :laugh: )?

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know those two songs. But, I would love to see somebody skating to The Cranberries. Delores had such a strong and such a distinctive voice. She is badly missed, and it would be nice to hear her regularly at skating competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
Nothing wrong with skating to funeral music. How many great programmes have we seen to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" or Chopin's "Prelude in C minor, Opus 28, Number 20" (or, as I like to call it, "Could It Be Magic - The Funeral Mix"! :laugh: )?

Or Elton John's Funeral for a Friend, which I seem to recall a number of skaters using in the 1980s and early 90s, but not quite elite enough to have been televised.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
You know I'm such a fool for you.
You've got me wrapped around your finger...

Hi Elektra! :)

It's true, you know. ;)

"Zombies" would make such a fun programme on it's own. I can totally imagine somebody skating to it. Lots of arm action, but not in the way we are used to! :laugh:

And I agree that it wouldn't go well with "Dreams".

I am trying to imagine how they could be edited together and, if I am totally honest, I am not sure they would work.

But, I do think both those songs would make good programmes on their own.

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know those two songs. But, I would love to see somebody skating to The Cranberries. Delores had such a strong and such a distinctive voice. She is badly missed, and it would be nice to hear her regularly at skating competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

hi CLF :biggrin: i think Cranberries are to niche for figure skating and not a classic

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just heard this song for the first time:

The Shangri-Las - "Past, Present And Future"

Absolutely beautiful. And so haunting.

I may be biased because I love the original version of "Moonlight Sonata", and generally enjoy programmes done to it. But, I do think this version would make for an interesting alternative.

If it was interpreted right, it would be a masterpiece.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or Elton John's Funeral for a Friend, which I seem to recall a number of skaters using in the 1980s and early 90s, but not quite elite enough to have been televised.
One of my favorite small group programs from SOI was Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend"/In My Life (sung by Bette Midler). It was performed in the 1994 tour, commemorating the 10th anniversary of the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics. There were five skaters in it - skaters who competed @ those Olympics - Scott Hamilton, Brian Orser, Roz Sumners, Kitty & Peter Carruthers. Each skater wore a costume rpresenting one of the colors of the Olympic rings.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Just heard this song for the first time:

The Shangri-Las - "Past, Present And Future"

Absolutely beautiful. And so haunting.

I may be biased because I love the original version of "Moonlight Sonata", and generally enjoy programmes done to it. But, I do think this version would make for an interesting alternative.

If it was interpreted right, it would be a masterpiece.

CaroLiza_fan
I think it would call more attention to the words than to the music or the skating.

Could work for a show program where the skater focuses on interpreting the words.

But not for a competitive program.

lappo

Final Flight
I would love to see someone tackle "Black swan" by BTS for an exhibition...I think Yuzuru would do amazing with it.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
this year there's a serius overflow of star crossed lovers in basically any discipline. instead of the usual Romeo and Juliet skaters should try other tragic lovers, like Manon or Marguerite and Armand. i realize both main female characters might not be appropriate to young girls, but in the end they skate to big spender without any problem.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Speaking of mature themes, if any senior skaters are looking for something edgy and modern, they should check out some of Ryuichi Sakamoto's other music outside of Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and The Last Emperor, such as the score for Love Is The Devil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyn9MXC0qE

In the way of a more traditional sweeping but eerie sound, I suggest the theme from The Devil's Backbone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7An_RsLdg

And to break my "films with devil in the title" theme I remain surprised we haven't seen programs using The Shape of Water's beautiful score. I hope that's because someone's saving a very special program for the Olympic season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA8dDFFvOUw

NAOTMAA

Medalist
When you look at the world of dance and music it's amazing just how many different types of things there are. The history goes way back and they are continuing to add to it. And even when you stick to a certain style/genre the catalogue is so deep and endless it could easily supply something fresh for skating chorographers forever. Why they all seem to recycle the same things over and over I will never understand.

readernick

Medalist
Speaking of mature themes, if any senior skaters are looking for something edgy and modern, they should check out some of Ryuichi Sakamoto's other music outside of Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and The Last Emperor, such as the score for Love Is The Devil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyn9MXC0qE

In the way of a more traditional sweeping but eerie sound, I suggest the theme from The Devil's Backbone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7An_RsLdg

And to break my "films with devil in the title" theme I remain surprised we haven't seen programs using The Shape of Water's beautiful score. I hope that's because someone's saving a very special program for the Olympic season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA8dDFFvOUw
I love your first two ideas especially the theme from, "The Devil's Backbone." That would be an awesome program. I feel it might work for Rika Kihira who has an interesting mixture of the traditional, with added sharpness, and power to her style.

I feel like the Shape of Water is absolutely stunning music, but lacks some of the build that tends to work well in skating. Who do you think could make it work?

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I love your first two ideas especially the theme from, "The Devil's Backbone." That would be an awesome program. I feel it might work for Rika Kihira who has an interesting mixture of the traditional, with added sharpness, and power to her style.

I feel like the Shape of Water is absolutely stunning music, but lacks some of the build that tends to work well in skating. Who do you think could make it work?

For The Shape of Water, my first thought was a dance team with a strong connection like Fornier-Beaudry/Sorensen, possibly Gilles/Poirier, maybe even Carreira/Ponomarenko. But I could also see it working well for someone like Aliona Kostornaia or Satoko Miyahara.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

the devil backbone is one of Del Toro's best movies ever, the music is just as amazing as the film. in fs it would need somebody who can give justice to the claustrophobic sense of doom and hopelessness of the movie, but i'm afraid someone, in the attempt to be original, might try to skate as...the bomb in the garden :LOL:

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
the devil backbone is one of Del Toro's best movies ever, the music is just as amazing as the film. in fs it would need somebody who can give justice to the claustrophobic sense of doom and hopelessness of the movie, but i'm afraid someone, in the attempt to be original, might try to skate as...the bomb in the garden :LOL:
The next big thing in junior ladies! :dbana: