Canada might not compete at world figure skating championships — if they happen | Golden Skate

Canada might not compete at world figure skating championships — if they happen

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we need to accept here and now that even if Worlds (unwisely) goes ahead, it should not be used for Olympic spot determination.

What the answer then is I am not sure, perhaps a super-Nebelhorn, but it should not be Worlds - and Worlds should not go ahead in Sweden.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What’s the point of the worlds if it doesn’t give ratings and spots? If it goes ahead, it should count as Worlds. Otherwise, why should they even risk injuries and travel for it?

lappo

Final Flight
What’s the point of the worlds if it doesn’t give ratings and spots? If it goes ahead, it should count as Worlds. Otherwise, why should they even risk injuries and travel for it?
In a normal year I would agree with you. However, if things go on like that, I think it might be unwise to use Worlds as the Olympic qualifiers as there could be many nations who prevents athletes to travel abroad. It's a difficult situation, indeed.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In a normal year I would agree with you. However, if things go on like that, I think it might be unwise to use Worlds as the Olympic qualifiers as there could be many nations who prevents athletes to travel abroad. It's a difficult situation, indeed.
If they compete and win, they should open spots for their team-mates for more chances at medal standings in the follow up event. It’s how it always works. Penalizing those who chose to compete is wrong. If they can’t compete, they will work their way up from the next world.

readernick

Medalist
I think it might be best to delay the competition for a few months, because vaccination might be available for the participants later in the Spring. That way more countries could participate without quarantine.

lappo

Final Flight
If they compete and win, they should open spots for their team-mates for more chances at medal standings in the follow up event. It’s how it always works. Penalizing those who chose to compete is wrong. If they can’t compete, they will work their way up from the next worlds.
Fact is, this year it might not be the individual choice of the athlete to compete or not to compete at Worlds; authorities may deny visa to athletes coming from more at risk countries, the same countries of the athletes may deny them visa to go abroad if they deem it a non essential travel. It's more complicated, IMO, than just saying "if they want to compete they will be at Stockholm ready to fight".
I do agree that Worlds should be postponed at least at mid spring (we have seen a positive decrease of cases in that period due to better weather, less people staying inside) or we should find another qualifier for those who will miss Worlds because of causes outside their control.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What fundamentally makes the World Championships the World Championships is gathering the best in the world to compete. Things like spots are secondary features.
Without the full delegations it won’t be either. Like, cancel or postpone, if there is a better chance to have an event properly, but bleeding off the importance is just not good.

spots for Olympics do not feel like secondary thing fr me, given how obsessed the athletes/feds are about Olympics.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Canada is really strict with their covid regs (at least in my province) - It woudn’t surprise me at all if they don’t send our athletes for safety reasons.
They sent competitors to a Judo competition last week in Mexico for 2020 spots, and aren't we holding hockey world juniors in a bubble? I dont think its Covid safety, but maybe worry about injury from not training regularly?

Znowflake

On the Ice
They sent competitors to a Judo competition last week in Mexico for 2020 spots, and aren't we holding hockey world juniors in a bubble? I dont think its Covid safety, but maybe worry about injury from not training regularly?
Maybe I didn’t know about the Judo/Mexico comp.. interesting that they would announce this now then

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this was discussed in the Canadian figure skating thread... perhaps it would be best to check there when discussing Skate Canada or Canadian skaters instead of opening new threads.... now the info is split into two threads... Can the moderators merge this thread to the main one?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Exactly!! Either figure out a way for all to compete, or cancel it. The Olympics will have a HUGE Asterisk if all Feds are not included. Especially the Reigning Team Champions

Amei

Record Breaker
Exactly!! Either figure out a way for all to compete, or cancel it. The Olympics will have a HUGE Asterisk if all Feds are not included. Especially the Reigning Team Champions

Do you mean Worlds? Its a little early for them to panic refuse to send their skaters to the Beijing Olympics which are in 2022. If the decision about not sending skaters/athletes to the Olympics, countries should give athletes the option to go but let the athlete know that they will have to quarantine upon arrival back home. If a Fed takes the approach they won't send a delegation at all to the Olympics then I don't think there will be an asterisk next to the Games, it's not ground-breaking there have already been 2 other Olympics boycotted for political reasons.