Canada might not compete at world figure skating championships — if they happen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Canada might not compete at world figure skating championships — if they happen

Xorasy

Rinkside
"Canada's COVID-19 protocols that require a 14-day quarantine once returning home would be an issue

"How ready can athletes be if they have to miss two weeks of training? Is that realistic?" Slipchuk said."

Can someone explain how Canada's quarantine rules will effect the athletes' training before worlds? They will have to quarantine when they get back right? Or is he talking about some other important competition that is held after worlds? Or is there some reason why the athletes would leave Canada a few weeks before worlds and then come back to Canada, stay in quarantine, and then go to Sweden?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canada is expecting 3 million doses before March.. I don't see how Pfizer which is apparently based in NYC would have a harder time sending vaccines to Montreal or Toronto than Los Angeles or Chicago?? Priority will be given to population at risk of course... but world team athletes as well as TOKYO 2020 Olympians may get them as well. I doubt vaccines is an issue here, and I think that's what Ic3Rabbit was referring to : the only issue would be if HEALTH CANADA doesn't not approve the vaccine... Well the article posted clearly mentions that Health Canada is about to do so.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
"Canada's COVID-19 protocols that require a 14-day quarantine once returning home would be an issue

"How ready can athletes be if they have to miss two weeks of training? Is that realistic?" Slipchuk said."

Can someone explain how Canada's quarantine rules will effect the athletes' training before worlds? They will have to quarantine when they get back right? Or is he talking about some other important competition that is held after worlds? Or is there some reason why the athletes would leave the Canada a few weeks before worlds and then come back to Canada, stay in quarantine, and then go to Sweden?
exactly... that's silly... it makes no sense at all. This quote puzzled me... it seems taken out of context... as if it came from earlier when GPs were discussed... but now, Canadians are competing virtually... getting filmed at their home rink and judging happens later...

The real problem is that rinks are closed in Toronto for instance and were shut down for a long time in the spring all over the place.

Xorasy

Rinkside
exactly... that's silly... it makes no sense at all. This quote puzzled me... it seems taken out of context... as if it came from earlier when GPs were discussed... but now, Canadians are competing virtually... getting filmed at their home rink and judging happens later...

The real problem is that rinks are closed in Toronto for instance and were shut down for a long time in the spring all over the place.
Yeah maybe it's taken out of context, I really don't understand that reasoning. For sure closed rinks would effect the training possibilities more!

Sabine

On the Ice
just look it up and you will get answers to your questions : some NCAA athletes have been diagnosed with a condition called myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart due to complications of COVID19... some had very weak symptoms of the disease, no co-mobirdities, perfectly healthy young elite athletes, but it has been shown that the virus isn't simply a respiratory illness but attacks the cardiovascular system in some cases, causing long term damage. I do not need to explain to you the repercussions of such a condition on a figure skater flying on the ice for 2--4 minutes executing spins, jumps and steps, throws and lifts... CAREER ENDING condition

I am nice... here is a link https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid19-coronavirus-heart-injury-college-athletes-sports
A lot of viruses can cause problems you are describing. It is sad if this happens to an athlete, because it can end his career, but it has happened before and is not a special problem of THIS virus. And don't forget the Epstein-Barr virus that has put a lot of athletes careers into hold for a long time, because recovery took so long. Some had to finish their sports. This is a risk in life you have always had and is no reason to stop everything.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Or is he talking about some other important competition that is held after worlds?
The only major competition I can think of that is scheduled for after Worlds is World Team Trophy which is scheduled for 15 Apr 2021 – 18 Apr 2021, but, with no offense to WTT or all the skaters that enjoy competing there, I would assume that the World Championships would be considerably higher priority than WTT?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
The only major competition I can think of that is scheduled for after Worlds is World Team Trophy which is scheduled for 15 Apr 2021 – 18 Apr 2021, but, with no offense to WTT or all the skaters that enjoy competing there, I would assume that the World Championships would be considerably higher priority than WTT?
WTT is nice and relaxed, but it's not even on the level of the challenger series competitions. It's more about the skating community than seriously important. Also gives young people a chance if they sent somebody else more experienced to world's .

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A lot of viruses can cause problems you are describing. It is sad if this happens to an athlete, because it can end his career, but it has happened before and is not a special problem of THIS virus. And don't forget the Epstein-Barr virus that has put a lot of athletes careers into hold for a long time, because recovery took so long. Some had to finish their sports. This is a risk in life you have always had and is no reason to stop everything.
I don't think you got my point : what virus is going circles around the world right now? We are talking specifically about the risk of complications from Covid 19... a very dangerous and contagious virus ... Some people were arguing that it wouldn't affect young and healthy athletes, I replied with science showing that young athletes are at risk of developing serious heart problems. We are not here to identify all health risks that may impact an athlete's life... as a matter of fact, Canada did send athletes to India and Brazil during episodes of dengue and Zika, calculating that the risks were manageable... but with Coronavirus, it appears that Skate Canada is not willing to take such chance, due to the nature of the virus itself and of course, the international health crisis.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The thing is, no one really knows for sure regarding the vaccination. Also, skaters already have been quarantining into Canada this season on GP. Those that train in Canada (Gadbois ice dancers) that competed in Las Vegas at Skate America quarantined for 14 days and chronicled it on social media.
I'm not really sure if you read this article in it's entirety. The article clearly states that Canada will have to have the doses shipped to them, meaning they aren't manufacturing it themselves, which is precisely what Ladskater said. Additionally because they will not be manufacturing the vaccine themselves, it is likely that doses will be rationed at the beginning and given to the highest-risk populations, such as seniors as well as health-care and essential workers. The logistics of shipment and storage are still in the works.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'll believe it when I see it. There are 3 NFL teams based in California, 2 in Los Angeles and 1 in San Fran (technically Santa Clara), their games are being played as scheduled.

The teams use charter flights... except for Patriots who has their own private jets.
Yes, some teams have played but, it hasn't gone well for some of them..........

Denver Broncos close facility after player, two staffers test positive for coronavirus​

Amei

Record Breaker
Cancel Worlds, and have the existing "spots" be the spots given for 2022 Olympics.

Nothing's perfect, but that's the fairest of a lot of bad options.

This might be Skate Canada's goal, Canada was looking likely to lose some spots last year from worlds and I doubt they would fare a lot better this year.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This might be Skate Canada's goal, Canada was looking likely to lose some spots last year from worlds and I doubt they would fare a lot better this year.
If this is the track that's being pursued... wouldn't they only have one man and one woman? It couldn't get much worse than that.

A reasonable case might be made that it really doesn't matter with the ladies, but there are at least three very good men and a couple of good prospects who could spoil that group. I'd think they'd want to send a man this year and roll the dice he can get an additional Olympic spot. It certainly can't get much worse in this discipline - nothing to lose.

Maybe one of our smart Canadian friends can chime in.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If this is the track that's being pursued... wouldn't they only have one man and one woman? It couldn't get much worse than that.

A reasonable case might be made that it really doesn't matter with the ladies, but there are at least three very good men and a couple of good prospects who could spoil that group. I'd think they'd want to send a man this year and roll the dice he can get an additional Olympic spot. It certainly can't get much worse in this discipline - nothing to lose.

Canada definitely does not want to lose spots in dance and pairs. Ladies : Gabby is showing promise but she needs time and the rinks in Toronto have been closing and reopening (closed right now) and the youth needs time to grow... Men, you have mentioned it, there are about 5-6 men with good skating and quads who need consistency and training... Consistency is acquired by experience in competition, which is NOT happening for Canadians right now. Only Keegan got a chance to get out to GP. In other words, Skate Canada MAY, and I insist on the conditional tense here as I do not have insider information, think that they are at a greater disadvantage than most of the top countries, and doesn't want 1) worlds to happen and 2) spots to be decided there. If worlds are canceled, spots will either be the same one as before, which will be terrible for men, but okay for the rest... or they will be decided later, giving more time to the athletes to get ready. From having seen sectionals which were done virtually (so far, I have only seen Skate Ontario), skaters definitely need time learning new programs and getting their jumps in order... Even those who are usually steadier were below their usual level. So I can see this article, as I have mentioned in the other thread (sorry to repeat myself but we asked for a merger and it didn't happen) as a way to put some pressure on the ISU, letting them know that Canada may not send athletes.. and as a big skating nation, it is making waves, looking at this thread here.... some people are already saying it wouldn't be worlds without one of the big 4.

Amei

Record Breaker

Canada currently has 2 ladies, 2 pairs, 3 ice dance and 1 men's spot. They were certainly likely to lose 1 of those ladies spots if 2019 worlds had happened and if 2020 happens I'd put money on them losing it

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canada currently has 2 ladies, 2 pairs, 3 ice dance and 1 men's spot. They were certainly likely to lose 1 of those ladies spots if 2019 worlds had happened and if 2020 happens I'd put money on them losing it
Pep up Amei! People thought the same thing about the US. We've had a Non- Eligible (Due to age) Champion for 2 seasons and we still "Could" have gained a 3rd spot with Braide and Mariah skating the way they were heading into worlds. The chips will fall where they fall.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
are there other nations in the same situation that were thinking of not sending skaters to the world championships?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would expect that the ISU comes up with some way not to penalize federations who opt out of worlds. As far as Olympic spots, it may be best to allow federations to use their better result between 2019 and 2021 Worlds to assign them.
The issue with that is that it is unfair to the lower-ranked skaters who may then miss out on an Olympic spot altogether if big feds are allowed to pick their best result.

Remember, there are only 30 spots in singles, and even less in pairs and dance.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
World’s should just be cancelled. As much as I really want to see a worlds again, it doesn’t seem right to do it this year (in terms of safety and way uneven training time).