Canada's Border Reopens Tomorrow - Welcome Back USA | Golden Skate

Canada's Border Reopens Tomorrow - Welcome Back USA

Amei

Record Breaker
I think they had to, Alaskan towns that depend on the summer cruise season leaned hard and got a provision through the US government allowing cruises to not have to go to a foreign port to sail out of Alaska and there was a big fuss from Canada getting concerned this could pave the way for Canada to see less cruise ships than they were getting prior to the pandemic.

Ziotic

Medalist
I think they had to, Alaskan towns that depend on the summer cruise season leaned hard and got a provision through the US government allowing cruises to not have to go to a foreign port to sail out of Alaska and there was a big fuss from Canada getting concerned this could pave the way for Canada to see less cruise ships than they were getting prior to the pandemic.
Where did this information even come from? I hardly doubt a couple ports in one province would sway the reopening of the entire country…

Amei

Record Breaker
Where did this information even come from? I hardly doubt a couple ports in one province would sway the reopening of the entire country…

A few different articles for you, estimates are that the cruise lines generate over $2 billion to Canada. So while it may just be a few ports in 1 province, it carries big dollars. And per my original post I said 'i think' so this isn't some insider information, just someone that pays attention to the cruise industry so upon hearing that the Canadian borders are reopening made me think of it.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alaska-cruise-ship-bc-canada-stop-exemption
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-ship-to-bypass-bc-economic-impact-1.6035738
https://cruiseradio.net/new-bill-would-allow-u-s-cruise-ships-permanently-bypass-canada-pvsa/

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And these articles were very interesting, as a long time/ frequent cruiser I had no idea that the Jones Act/PSVA was under review or subject to amendment because of the virus. Then again, I have not been keeping current because I won't be boarding another ship for a long time yet, nope, not me
:biggrin:

I have no doubt that BC is happy that the Canadian ports are open again, but I'm not sure that any "pressure" regarding cruise ships in particular made a difference to the Canadian government's decision. Plus TBH didn't even think of BC, when I think of Canadian ports, I think of the Maritimes, since those have been my ports of call, although I'm sure the BC ports see more traffic,

However, I have no doubt that many other businesses dependent on daily cross border traffic have been hoping that circumstances would permit greater travel.

And I'm happy Jason can cross the border more easily:)

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
And these articles were very interesting, as a long time/ frequent cruiser I had no idea that the Jones Act/PSVA was under review or subject to amendment because of the virus. Then again, I have not been keeping current because I won't be boarding another ship for a long time yet, nope, not me
:biggrin:

Nice to see a fellow cruiser, though I am sailing soon (got 2 cruises booked this year actually). It did take a literal act of congress to get it, and I'm glad they did it - the cruise lines got going again and the businesses around the ports that rely heavily on the cruises will get some positive impact.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice to see a fellow cruiser, though I am sailing soon (got 2 cruises booked this year actually). It did take a literal act of congress to get it, and I'm glad they did it - the cruise lines got going again and the businesses around the ports that rely heavily on the cruises will get some positive impact.

The industry has taken a hit, and family members are doing their bit to get it going again, but I will wait. :)

In fact, I got started with Internet forums with CruiseCritic, and little social Suzy that I am, was always organizing the Meet and Mingles or other lines' Roll Call meetups. Haven't been on CC in years now, again, wait and see. Maybe if NCL stays successful in its litigation....

Happy cruising!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Opening the borders is across Canada not just here in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan don't have any cruise ship ports. BC does have a huge cruise ship business, but it does not depend on cruise ships for all our tourists industry. Our tourist industry and local businesses were suffering huge losses with the border closing. Also families who were separated due to the Covid restrictions are glad to see the border open. Our cruise ships won't be back until Nov. 1st.