Cat Idioms | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cat Idioms

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
"Purplecat" has to add to a cat thread! Another idiom: "Looking like the cat that ate the canary". I'm bad at describing meanings so I looked up a definition online: Refers to a person whose appearance and behavior suggest guilt mixed with other qualities, such as satisfaction or feigned nonchalance... or a person who appears self-satisfied or smug, especially while concealing something mischievous, prohibited, or private.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOT to talk about the actual news (we have active threads for that ;) )but this a good example of how North American English speakers may use "let the cat out of the bag" from Jackie Wong:

"The cat is out of the bag. New pair: Vanessa James / Eric Radford for Canada"

I thought of this thread when I read this particular tweet on the subject:biggrin:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
"Purplecat" has to add to a cat thread! Another idiom: "Looking like the cat that ate the canary". I'm bad at describing meanings so I looked up a definition online: Refers to a person whose appearance and behavior suggest guilt mixed with other qualities, such as satisfaction or feigned nonchalance... or a person who appears self-satisfied or smug, especially while concealing something mischievous, prohibited, or private.
I think we would say 'the cat that swallowed the canary' but the meaning is the same!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NOT to talk about the actual news (we have active threads for that ;) )but this a good example of how North American English speakers may use "let the cat out of the bag" from Jackie Wong:

"The cat is out of the bag. New pair: Vanessa James / Eric Radford for Canada"

I thought of this thread when I read this particular tweet on the subject:biggrin:
It's also managed to throw the cat amongst the pigeons!

And very awkward since the Canadian Figure skating world is too small to swing a cat ;)

Finally, sadly...this is gonna make TSL act even more like the cat that ate the cream for breaking the story :p