Changing Coaches | Golden Skate

Changing Coaches

avalerie696

Rinkside
After a long period of time from March-September 2020, I finally joined figure skating classes. I was brand new to the club and this was the only coach that there was at the time. So I started taking group classes with her. A month later another coach arrived. But I didn't know about this new coach as I wasn't familiar with the club.

So, two months into coaching, I noticed that my current coach wouldn't pay much attention to the class (as in she would look at her phone or elsewhere during the class). I wasn't sure if I was just noticing all the tiny details. Then in december, my current coach took two days of leave and I had the new coach as a substitute. This new coach was really friendly and there was this click and to be honest I loved that class because he gave me tips my current coach didn't give/comment on and even helped me with a new jump. The next week, most of the students in my same timing slot moved to other timings/I don't really know what happened to them. So it was just me with another kid and yes even if she does pay attention I feel like she doesn't really give a lot of advice that actually helps. When the other student doesn't arrive and it's just me I've noticed her mostly not paying attention/ occasionally correcting me.

(I'm not sure if this is a big detail or me over-analyzing things, but I've noticed that she wears hockey skates. So doesn't the fact that she doesn't want to buy another pair of figure skates mean she's not commited? (I don't know if I'm just being judgemental))

Most of my skater friends said the new coach teaches really well. But if I take group classes with him it will be with 4 other students. I don't know if it's better to stay with my current coach (as there's just one more student so I guess I'll get more attention) or if it's better to change. But I do know that I wouldn't have gotten my loop jump ( in such short time) without his help as my current coach kept teaching the same things and nothing new.

I don't want to hurt my current coach's feelings either. Sorry for the long post, but I don't know what to do.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Don't know what country you're in but for the USA, if classes are run under Learn to Skate, you get an evaluation after a certain amount of time. If you pass your level, you're moved to the next one. That may be what happened to the other skaters.
It's usually the skating director that assigns coaches to the group classes; not skaters choosing their group class coach.

If you want to take lessons from the "good coach" than maybe you can get some private lessons with him.

The other coach should not be doing other things while teaching a class. The type of skates she wears would not matter at low levels but would as your group classes begin to learn spins and jumps. I'd mention the lack of attention to the skating director - if there is one wherever you are.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's better to change. Your current coach pays no attention, the other coach might not have all their attention on you, but you will still be getting MORE attention from them than your current coach.

(I'm not sure if this is a big detail or me over-analyzing things, but I've noticed that she wears hockey skates. So doesn't the fact that she doesn't want to buy another pair of figure skates mean she's not commited? (I don't know if I'm just being judgemental))
I know plenty of coaches who coach in hockey skates and I skate at a well established club. They tend to be more comfortable and if jumps don't need to be demonstrated and the coach knows how to skate in them, then they will. It's not really a good way to judge whether they're a good coach or not. My coach even coaches mostly hockey kids (he has some in the NFL) but he also has had multiple figure skaters go to worlds in multiple disciplines, so yeah, many coaches do both and many coaches do both well.

Edit:
Don't know what country you're in but for the USA, if classes are run under Learn to Skate, you get an evaluation after a certain amount of time. If you pass your level, you're moved to the next one. That may be what happened to the other skaters.
It's usually the skating director that assigns coaches to the group classes; not skaters choosing their group class coach.
This is true if the other coach is coaching a different level. I assumed that they were the same level, oops!

avalerie696

Rinkside

If you want to take lessons from the "good coach" than maybe you can get some private lessons with him.

The other coach should not be doing other things while teaching a class. The type of skates she wears would not matter at low levels but would as your group classes begin to learn spins and jumps. I'd mention the lack of attention to the skating director - if there is one wherever you are.
I’m not in the US. From the two substitute classes that I got with the new coach, I like it so far. Tbh your system sounds so systematic and simple and problem free. Where I live you have to choose between either my current coach or the new one (there are only two coaches in my club).
I wouldn’t call my level super high, but I’m learning sit spins and working on my flip jump.

avalerie696

Rinkside
It's better to change. Your current coach pays no attention, the other coach might not have all their attention on you, but you will still be getting MORE attention from them than your current coach.

I know plenty of coaches who coach in hockey skates and I skate at a well established club. They tend to be more comfortable and if jumps don't need to be demonstrated and the coach knows how to skate in them, then they will. It's not really a good way to judge whether they're a good coach or not. My coach even coaches mostly hockey kids (he has some in the NFL) but he also has had multiple figure skaters go to worlds in multiple disciplines, so yeah, many coaches do both and many coaches do both well.

Edit:

This is true if the other coach is coaching a different level. I assumed that they were the same level, oops!
I used to have a coach that wore hockey skates back when I was learning crossovers and three turns and found no problem then. I just wasn’t sure with my current level because I’m learning spins/backspins and jumps (flips currently) so I wasn’t sure if my coach having hockey skates would allow her to show proper technique.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m not in the US. From the two substitute classes that I got with the new coach, I like it so far. Tbh your system sounds so systematic and simple and problem free. Where I live you have to choose between either my current coach or the new one (there are only two coaches in my club).
I wouldn’t call my level super high, but I’m learning sit spins and working on my flip jump.
Just go through the process to switch coaches if he will take you on as a student.

avalerie696

Rinkside
Just go through the process to switch coaches if he will take you on as a student.
Yes, he does take new students. Some of my friends recently changed to his classes. I just need to figure out a way to tell my current coach now...

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sometimes our LTS system is a little too systematic IMO. And it's definately not problem free!

Anyway, I don't think your current coach suits you and don't think her teaching in hockey skates is good practice for you learning spins and jumps.
So as the others have said, make the change. Coaches are used to this happening and nothing for you to stress over.
Good luck!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, he does take new students. Some of my friends recently changed to his classes. I just need to figure out a way to tell my current coach now...
Just tell them. They likely know the other coach is a better coach; if they don't know, then they're really not self aware in the slightest. Who can blame you for wanting a better coach. If that burns a bridge, so be it. A bridge with an unhelpful coach is not a bridge worth having.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
UGH! It is SO unprofessional when coaches spend lessons on their phones. I'd definitely continue looking into a new coach.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
You've already gotten some good advice, but I want to jump in on the question of the skates your coach is wearing. Basically, as others have said, that has no bearing on the quality of the coach. There are all kinds of reasons a figure skating coach might be in hockey skates. I wear both and I often coach freeskate in my hockey skates because I travel to multiple rinks and don't have a car. Hockey skates are lighter. Plus I coach outdoors, where I only wear hockey skates due to poor ice quality. There are many ways to get around not being able to demonstrate as a coach and it is possible to demonstrate spins and jumps in hockey skates if you know what you're doing. The issue here seems to be more that the coach just isn't particularly interested, not the skates she's wearing.

*Slightly random note, I even coach with someone who sometimes wears one hockey skate and one figure skate and he's partnering gold dances like that, so there are many options with the skate.