Channel One Cup: Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Channel One Cup: Short Program

brakes

On the Ice
What I really meant is: even if he imagines his approach of going hard, rude after those guys, mocking, belittling them is effective (I doubt it) - the position of live K&C assistant/commentator in a team figure skating show/tournament is not the place and time to apply it.

Do it as an audio commentator if you like, or most preferably as a coach, but do not spoil the whole event for the viewers, disrupting K&C atmosphere of mutual support and cherishing team spirit.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Y: I'm not slandering. I am only evaluating what our player has demonstrated now. Unfortunately, we saw the failure of the first, very difficult jump, 4F. There was a slight UR and this failure happened. And then... and then something happened that no one could have imagined - a fall on his favorite jump, 4T..
A: Come on, everything was great! Just.. go (Alina laugh and jokingly pushes Yagudin in the direction of K&C)
Y: For you, Alina, everything is always "great" for some reason.
A: All right...
Y: No, it wasn't "great" And now we will deal with what happened.
A: I say this because the athlete fought to the very end..
Y: So what! He still had no choice - even if he stopped skating, no one would let him out of the rink until the time was up (this is supposed to be joke)
This really made me roll my eyes. The grouch needs to get over himself. At least Zagitova slapped him out of the way at one point. https://twitter.com/birtuemoir/status/1358079154332327940

Gabby30

On the Ice
First, Yagudin didn't insulting "jokes" during Dima's program. He said "Просто скотина!" ( direct trnsl - "he's just animal!", literary transl - "oh, you're douche bag!", or "he's real prick!"). It's hard to call it a "joke".

Second, it's wrong to demand from Alina that she stop him at that moment - first of all, it is clear that all her attention is devoted to the Dima' skate. But the most important thing is their age difference - Alina said on the evening show that since she was brought up in a Muslim family, she has a very strong respect for age and it's even difficult for her to address Yagudin simply by his first name without adding a patronymic (in English analogue address with "sir"). Therefore, for Alina, it would be simply psychologically impossible to directly reprimand him. And you can't demand it from her.

Yagudin, of course, annoyed Alina too. Неre, when he bothers Mozalev, Alina tries to calm Yagudin down and gets up the courage to actually tell him "go away!", of course, trying to soften it with smiles and playfulness.

Y: I would like to stand up and shout " bravo!", but unfortunately we can't do it. Let's face reality..
A: Everything was great! Why are you... slandering him? (Alina, to soften the expressions, uses the older version of this word - "наговаривать" which is more literary and soft than "клеветать"/"slander", but my English is primitive and I don't know how to adequately translate this nuance)
Y: I'm not slandering. I am only evaluating what our player has demonstrated now. Unfortunately, we saw the failure of the first, very difficult jump, 4F. There was a slight UR and this failure happened. And then... and then something happened that no one could have imagined - a fall on his favorite jump, 4T..
A: Come on, everything was great! Just.. go (Alina laugh and jokingly pushes Yagudin in the direction of K&C)
Y: So what! He still had no choice - even if he stopped skating, no one would let him out of the rink until the time was up (this is supposed to be joke)

Alexey, of course, was unbearable here. For me, Yagudin is quite a normal guy who often says sensible things and behaves with dignity. But not here. He always measures everything by himself - everyone must heroically overcome and go to kill themselves against the wall if they are not the first. And problems with impropriety. And with childishness. Thank God that Ted Barton doesn't know Russian - I felt Spanish shame all the time from the thought "What if Ted understood what they were talking about here now?"

But you can't demand from 18-year-old Alina to calm down a 40-year-old man. Don't forget the cultural difference. This is not an American movie where teenagers are easily rude to their parents using the f-word.

First, Yagudin didn't insulting "jokes" during Dima's program. He said "Просто скотина!" ( direct trnsl - "he's just animal!", literary transl - "oh, you're douche bag!", or "he's real prick!"). It's hard to call it a "joke".

Second, it's wrong to demand from Alina that she stop him at that moment - first of all, it is clear that all her attention is devoted to the Dima' skate. But the most important thing is their age difference - Alina said on the evening show that since she was brought up in a Muslim family, she has a very strong respect for age and it's even difficult for her to address Yagudin simply by his first name without adding a patronymic (in English analogue address with "sir"). Therefore, for Alina, it would be simply psychologically impossible to directly reprimand him. And you can't demand it from her.

Yagudin, of course, annoyed Alina too. Неre, when he bothers Mozalev, Alina tries to calm Yagudin down and gets up the courage to actually tell him "go away!", of course, trying to soften it with smiles and playfulness.

Y: I would like to stand up and shout " bravo!", but unfortunately we can't do it. Let's face reality..
A: Everything was great! Why are you... slandering him? (Alina, to soften the expressions, uses the older version of this word - "наговаривать" which is more literary and soft than "клеветать"/"slander", but my English is primitive and I don't know how to adequately translate this nuance)

Alexey, of course, was unbearable here. For me, Yagudin is quite a normal guy who often says sensible things and behaves with dignity. But not here. He always measures everything by himself - everyone must heroically overcome and go to kill themselves against the wall if they are not the first. And problems with impropriety. And with childishness. Thank God that Ted Barton doesn't know Russian - I felt Spanish shame all the time from the thought "What if Ted understood what they were talking about here now?"

But you can't demand from 18-year-old Alina to calm down a 40-year-old man. Don't forget the cultural difference. This is not an American movie where teenagers are easily rude to their parents using the f-word.
I'm pretty sure everybody is being taught respect for age. It's not the first time that someone claims to have better values just bc they are "Muslim"- yet these values are pretty common everywhere on the planet :palmf:

Another point, i wonder what kind of movies you watch:unsure: It's just weird that you bring up something like that to compare cultures ( and make one look better that way) instead of something more realistically. People always come with the "culture" weapon when they don't have any other arguments:rolleye:

This whole Yagudin bullying is getting old. Different people have different views, deal with it :shrug:

zytolda

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure everybody is being taught respect for age. It's not the first time that someone claims to have better values just bc they are "Muslim"- yet these values are pretty common everywhere on the planet :palmf:

Another point, i wonder what kind of movies you watch:unsure: It's just weird that you bring up something like that to compare cultures ( and make one look better that way) instead of something more realistically. People always come with the "culture" weapon when they don't have any other arguments:rolleye:

This whole Yagudin bullying is getting old. Different people have different views, deal with it :shrug:
Alina never said that bc is Muslim she has better values. I think that she has certain background (place of birth, religion, cultural aspects, tradition,) that make her more reserve in interaction with older people.

Orlov

Medalist

Like most people on the planet I watch American movies and TV shows :) I can't remember the specific names of movies and TV shows right now. But I have seen more than once in these films how teenagers from well-off families communicate with their parents using obscene words.

Please, no offense, my comment wasn't about that. I'm not saying that this is definitely a bad/good or whatever thing. I was just reminding you that what is natural in one culture can be a rare act that requires inner courage and concentration in another culture. And by requiring a person to act in accordance with the codes adopted in your environment, you can demand the impossible from him.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Have you got protocols please?
As it was announced today no protocols would be officially published because this is more a show rather than a competition. But athletes and coaches will have a protocol of theirs like at the test skates.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yagudin has been known to be a rude bloke with somewhat primitive manners and language for years although putting down skaters he was suppposed to cheer for on a live TV show is quite another league. Still, it was not Alina's role to stop him, and that has nothing to do with her being Muslim or not, being polite or not, or even being young and shy or not. Kudos to her for trying but that was a clear role of the organizers who have employed him, put him at this place, allowed the whole embarassment to go on and are going to pay him for it. That's totally their responsibility, like it or not, Channel One. And they clearly did not live up to it, seems like maybe they liked it for a show...

Orlov

Medalist
Yagudin has been known to be a rude bloke with somewhat primitive manners and language for years although putting down skaters he was suppposed to cheer for on a live TV show is quite another league. Still, it was not Alina's role to stop him, and that has nothing to do with her being Muslim or not, being polite or not, or even being young and shy or not. Kudos to her for trying but that was a clear role of the organizers who have employed him, put him at this place, allowed the whole embarassment to go on and are going to pay him for it. That's totally their responsibility, like it or not, Channel One. And they clearly did not live up to it, seems like maybe they liked it for a show...
It's not that simple. Yagudin is not an unknown extra to manage at the click of a finger - he is the permanent host of the Ice Age on Channel One, he is easily recognizable "face of FS" on a Channel One. He'is Olympic champion, after all. And tbh, all these things that we are discussing are nuanced, sophisticated things. You do not call Konstantin Ernst (the head of the First Channel) and tell him " oh, here Alyosha Yagudin criticizes athletes after the skate, this is intolerant, fire him."

Here you can see a woman with blonde hair. As far as I know, she is the person who is the main one in the FS projects of the First Channel. And she says something carefully for a long time (there is no sound, it's ice recovery) to Alexey. There is no conflict, but the general impression is that Alexey listened to this without much enthusiasm. After the break, Alexey was already much sane. Although maybe because after the break there were only clean skates in his team:shrug::) But on the other hand after that he did a story on Instagram with the guys "For impressionable individuals, we have everything in fine, the guys do not take offense, they understand everything themselves, blah-blah-blah", Aliev and Mozalev make happy faces and wave their hands to the audience :biggrin:

Personally, I hope that today Alexey will be more adequate.

Dogo

On the Ice

Yeah I mostly agree. Although I think the translation makes it a bit hard for me to understand the tone of your comment. Probably the same happened when you read mine if you used a translator tool. Apologies for that.

Insulting jokes was meant to be a general description of what Yagudin was constantly saying. I wasn't talking about that specific offensive comment he threw at Dima. The translation of скотина is "animal, brute, beast, jerk, and son of a ***". My friend who speaks Russian saw the show with me and didn't like it. He explained a bit of the context to me and we agreed on Yagudin being an embarrassing clown.

Also, I think everyone (including me) is not "demanding" Alina to stop him. She shouldn't. She is there as a host and doing a great job at it. What I pointed out is that she did stop him. Meaning that anyone could see that she was annoyed and tried to divert the conversation. So, in other words, she put a stop on it regardless of what we think she can or can't do. Again, it could be that the tone of my paragraph gets distorted when using google translator.

I personally think Yagudin is far from being "normal guy who often says sensible things and behaves with dignity". He likes attention and for the wrong reasons. But in his attempt on causing disruption he unnecessarily belittles others (like in twitter with Adam Rippon, and on his stupid camel memes supporting anything against the school of Plushenko). Adam and Plushenko have big mouths and like drama, like many other prominent skating figures/coaches in this sport, but Yagudin's comments are just repulsive and out of place.

Anyhow! Back to what really matters which is Zhenya, Alina, Sasha Trusova, Kami and Anna!!