Chop sticks. | Golden Skate

Chop sticks.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have a couple of experts trying to teach me chopsticks. Things are not going well. I have lost 5 lbs. :(
Has anyone mastered these later in life? I used to have lots of dexerity working on small complex mechanical systems but those days are over.
a chopsticks.jpg

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have tried to use them in several Chinese & Japanese restaurants. The wait staff has always been very patient with me, but I still have trouble using them.

One of the Korean families I taught English to invited us to several of their daughters' weddings. Being sensitive to the fact that we were having difficulty using chopsticks they always made sure there were forks & knives @ our table settings.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
FYI. If you are dining with someone who is traditional or superstitious, do not stick your chopsticks in your rice bowl vertically. This resembles the position of candles lit during funerals and is, thus, considered unlucky.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI. If you are dining with someone who is traditional or superstitious, do not stick your chopsticks in your rice bowl vertically. This resembles the position of candles lit during funerals and is, thus, considered unlucky.
Wow. Interesting bit of culture info. I think there must be travel books that tell people things like this so they may avoid offending people.

heyang

Record Breaker
Growing up in a Chinese household, I think I copied my elders and always rested my chopsticks along the edge of the bowl/plate. It wasn't until I went out to lunch with a group of coworkers - one of them is a Chinese person raised in a traditional household in India - he's very superstitious. Another person in our party had stuck her chopsticks vertically in her bowl of rice and he asked her to remove them with the explanation Otherwise, I wouldn't have known. My father's family is not as traditional as my mother's - so, our household wasn't traditional.