Coaches' Corner | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Coaches' Corner

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Has anybody ever looked up into how the first East Asian coaching teams came up? I think it would be great to know, since they didn't "traditionally" figure skate. Where did the first skaters and coaches train and how?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Has anybody ever looked up into how the first East Asian coaching teams came up? I think it would be great to know, since they didn't "traditionally" figure skate. Where did the first skaters and coaches train and how?
In the bookThe Second Mark which looked at Shen and Hongbo (along with Anton and Elena and Jamie and David) it also covered their coach Yao Bin. He and his partner were the first to represent China in figure skating.

It's a very interesting story! Yao and his partner had only photographs to learn the pairs moves from. On their debut at the 1980s Worlds not only did they finish last, they could hear the audience laugh at them! 😱 They went to two more World Championships and the Olympics, but finished last there too.

After those embarrassments Yao Bin was determined to make Chinese pairs world class, which he succeeded with very well indeed. :biggrin:

Here's Yao Bin's Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Bin

Not sure about the other disciplines in China though.

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Plyushchenko upthread in his interviews discrediting the federation and judiciary, leaving with: " I think they heard me "

And then the leaked part of the same interview ...

Yes, the federation did hear, and gave a clear answer.

Federation probably knows lots more, and given how nervously and tense Plyushchenko behaved at the Rostelekom, might have had a talk with him before the event.

The event culminating in " Here, have an ice cream " ...

Lots of serious training, coaching and tuning of both Kostornaya and Trusova needs to be done.

Next stage with Kostornaya will already be indicative, before the National Championships of Russia.

But when Europeans and World get cancelled, there is no need to bother for the rest of the season?

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Nice interview with beginner coach and trainer Maksim Kovtun:

- Aleksandra Trusova is learning the triple Axel and cannot stabilize this jump yet. Tell us about your experience - what is the complexity of the Axel, why can there be problems with it?

-- I would say that she has already learned it and can consistently perform it in training, but at competitions she is not jumping it yet. Maybe she is somehow low on adrenaline.

When there is literally this small a misfire - a movement of the foot or hand that is not right - the element fails. I think it's a matter of time. She must continue to work on it. The girl jumps all quads! The triple Axel should be easy for her in the future.

Girls often have problems with the Axel - I don't know what it's connected with, it's just some kind of curse. For boys, it is a common element that they can easily jump in the second half of their program.

For girls - not, their Axel needs all the ice, an incredible intense desire. Although at the same time they easily jump this quadruple Lutz - the most difficult element that I, for example, did not perform. No one can tell for sure the reason for their mistakes, it is always individual.

- You are now working as a coach yourself. Do you think that the level of preparation of children has changed compared to what it was before when you were a child?

-- Now they are putting a lot of pressure on children that everything needs to be done faster. More jumping, more gliding, more learning of ultra-si. The level is serious.

Compared to what it was fifteen, even ten years ago, now it has become twice as difficult. But at the same time, the popularity of figure skating has increased three times. This is progress, it should not be feared, but supported.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Everyone except himself is to blame for the failure of Plyuschhenko's skaters.

The articles linked are also worth reading.

Trying to manage a whole team isn't easy.

Amei

Record Breaker

The article reads a little gossipy, but I do agree a bit on 1 point that was alluded to - he needs to lay off publicly making comments to "explain" why his skaters performed poorly or didn't perform well enough to win, even if they are actual valid reasons when there is always conveniently a reason it screams made up excuse, this annoyed me about another skater that after every time that skater performed poorly there was conveniently a 'reason' brought up to excuse the performance away and not only did it excuse their poor performance but it was some heroic deed that they still fought through and competed. It gets old quick.

I can't remember who said it on the Skate America broadcast this year about a skater being injured and I can't remember their exact words but basically they said regarding injury if you have stepped on that ice you are saying its not a problem for you to compete with it.

Saw this article underneath the 1 you posted, sigh - I understand while Lipnitskaia went to Plushenko, she skates in his shows and let's face it the guy has a ton of money and she's got a family to support, but I really wish she would have gone to like CSKA or gone to be a coach with Urmanov, the media and the drama seemed to be the worst thing for Lipnitskaia and Plushenko seems to revel in the media and the drama.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Is Yana Levkhina anyone in the figure skating world that I should know? I do not recognize the name, but I certainly don't know everyone in the Russian figure skating world:scratch2:

The Google translate says that "She worked at the Grand Prix stage in figure skating and ice shows. Collaborated with Russian online sports publications. She had her own blog about figure skating." So am I correct that this is an opinion piece (I see no "new" quotes) from a random blogger?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Plyushchenko's behaviour around Zhilina in the 5th stage almost suggests he doesn't even know her, since Veronika's mother Lyudmila Alfyorova is an experienced and fully qualified trainer, working daily with her daughters and having worked with other kids for years.
Plyushchenko didn't know the small personal details, little mannerisms, preferences of Veronika, just stood there leaning back while Veronika with a sore back and bleeding feet struggled to put the protectors on her blades after an exhausting free skate with painful falls.

AFAIK, neither Ilynikh nor Lipnitskaya are on the register of qualified trainers registered with Moscow sport.
Also, on the angelsofplushenko website they are not listed with their qualification, while for instance Lyudmila Alfyorova is.

One would expect, only qualified and proven trainers should work with high level athletes, even if only to satisfy liability requirements and insurance demands.

Plyushchenko is at least able to charge the wealthy parents extra for the privilige of having their child trained by multiple Olympic Champions.

But still there is no proof that Olympic Champions make olympic champion quality trainers, not even the combined three of them under the same roof.

So the actual value of Lipnitskaya on the roster might only be extra publicity and clientele?

Plyushchenko is now stretched thin with two rinks to attend to in person daily, for the paying nouveau riche clientele are only under the roof of his hangars because of him. While the chosen elites now train in the new hangar behind the Plyushchenko mansion in remote Odintsovo, far out of Moscow city and without convenient public transport.

lappo

Final Flight
Is it true that Rozanov doesn't work anymore with the Zhilina's sisters? I noticed that he wasn't with Veronika at her last competition and I read this somewhere else but I cannot find where anymore!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Mishin will also be remembered by this scandal that must not be forgotten:

The wrongs he did to Alisa Lozko's career cannot be forgiven.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Somebody needs to tell that genius that the "Swan Song" is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement (referring to the caption here: "Stanislava's swan song" in a post about Stasya taking part in the SL show).

50766.png

:palmf:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
One always wonders who does these clips from the Angels' hangar and writes the captions to these postings, not really thinking it fully through ...

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I believe there was Alisa's interview where she said that soon after she had decided to retire she received an offer from Georgian federation however she decided to not change her decision.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Somebody needs to tell that genius that the "Swan Song" is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement (referring to the caption here: "Stanislava's swan song" in a post about Stasya taking part in the SL show).

50766.png

:palmf:

I think the real mean of "Swan Song" is well known to everyone.
I see this week will be the Swan Song for many good skaters.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe there was Alisa's interview where she said that soon after she had decided to retire she received an offer from Georgian federation however she decided to not change her decision.
I'm sad that Alisa didn't skate for Georgia. It would mean that Georgia would have had a great chance for Olympic bronze in the Team event.