COC cancelled - Italy will host | Golden Skate

COC cancelled - Italy will host

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The following message by the ISU was received today, the 16th of August

The ISU was informed of the cancellation of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Cup of China, that was scheduled to take place from November 4-7, 2021 in Chongqing (CHN).

Unfortunately, in view of the very limited international flights in all inbound cities in China and the relevant prevention restrictions in COVID-19, the concept of a "competition bubble" can not be realized. The ISU regrets that the hosting of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Cup of China is no longer viable and thanks the Chinese Figure Skating Association for their continued effort and support.

In order to maintain the 6 Events of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, leading to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, which will take place in Osaka (JPN), on December 9-12, 2021, the ISU invited ISU Members who would be interested in hosting this event on the originally planned date (November 4-7, 2021), to apply for the event.

Further information will be provided in due course.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think the gp series is dead they just aren't publicly saying it. China has canceled their event, France isn't going to let certain people in, I doubt Canada is going to be all that open.
I had some lingering hope, that it might all work out… but yeah, seems like GP series are dead.
Trankov said that he (along with 1/2 coaches and skaters scheduled for SkAM) don’t have American visas, and that it’s looking like a problem.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
When can we have all the international events back?
No news about Asian Open yet but if AO got cancelled then the OG might move to 2023

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
They should have decided that much earlier. In this situation it is hard to get a country do a replacement event. And honestly, if one event doesn't happen the whole series makes no sense.

Amei

Record Breaker
They should have decided that much earlier. In this situation it is hard to get a country do a replacement event. And honestly, if one event doesn't happen the whole series makes no sense.

Its not just China not happening, in France at least some skaters won't be able to go based on their country's status.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
I was expecting Canada to fold first, tbh. Fingers crossed Finland can host…
With respect to Canada and foreign travellers - updated information here. Canada allows fully vaccinated foreign nationals with an acceptable vaccine to enter without quarantine (rule change for Americans was August 9; rule change for rest of the world tentatively September 7). Acceptable vaccines at this point are Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca and Jaansen/Johnson & Johnson.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
With respect to Canada and foreign travellers - updated information here. Canada allows fully vaccinated foreign nationals with an acceptable vaccine to enter without quarantine (rule change for Americans was August 9; rule change for rest of the world tentatively September 7). Acceptable vaccines at this point are Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca and Jaansen/Johnson & Johnson.
That still precludes Russian skaters, for example. The ISU will need to figure something out because the French travel affecting the jgp rules will affect Russian skaters attending Idf, too, won't it?
Edit: It's not just Russia either. There are other countries without widespread vaccination. And what about Americans/Canadians/Europeans who choose not to get it

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I hope the series can be salvaged, somehow :( But it sure must suck to be a Chinese or Russian skater at this point; not sure what they'll figure out for them regarding senior GP in Canada and France :( There should be exemptions from the pandemic requirements for athletes I think, as they get monitored and tested all the time (if the host country really wants to), unlike common holiday travelers...

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I hope the series can be salvaged, somehow :( But it sure must suck to be a Chinese or Russian skater at this point; not sure what they'll figure out for them regarding senior GP in Canada and France :( There should be exemptions from the pandemic requirements for athletes I think, as they get monitored and tested all the time (if the host country really wants to), unlike common holiday travelers...
Actually, I think Canada has an exemption:
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/c...nal-single-sport-travel-authorization.html#a2
But I don't understand it :laugh: