COC cancelled - Italy will host | Page 3 | Golden Skate

COC cancelled - Italy will host

mrrice

Record Breaker
With respect to Canada and foreign travellers - updated information here. Canada allows fully vaccinated foreign nationals with an acceptable vaccine to enter without quarantine (rule change for Americans was August 9; rule change for rest of the world tentatively September 7). Acceptable vaccines at this point are Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca and Jaansen/Johnson & Johnson.
I agree. Also, if they hold it in Toronto, they will have the draw of New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio. If I lived in any of those states, I would definitely make the trip.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree. Also, if they hold it in Toronto, they will have the draw of New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio. If I lived in any of those states, I would definitely make the trip.
skate canada is on the west coast mr rice... close enough to you ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I can't say I'm all that surprised. Anyone who thought we were going to get a "normal" season this year has rocks in their head.
I think it was more about "Hope" With the Vaccine available world wide, I was hoping that things would be back to normal by the fall but, there are so many people who are refusing to take it that who knows when we'll back to "Normal"

Amei

Record Breaker
Outside of Finland what are some other options for the GP event? Germany, Sweden, Italy came to mind. Any word on who else has put their name in the hat to host the event?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Outside of Finland what are some other options for the GP event? Germany, Sweden, Italy came to mind. Any word on who else has put their name in the hat to host the event?
Having just attended the Cranberry Cup, I vote for Skating Club of Boston! Beautiful facility, perfectly sized for a Grand Prix. I would be so ready to return there, especially if I could see Han Yan, Sui/Han, and Peng/Jin!

Amei

Record Breaker
Having just attended the Cranberry Cup, I vote for Skating Club of Boston! Beautiful facility, perfectly sized for a Grand Prix. I would be so ready to return there, especially if I could see Han Yan, Sui/Han, and Peng/Jin!

In the RLT there is discussion that there are limitations currently with visas for the Russians. Given that there are already limitations on them for IDF and possibly Canada, I think it would be extremely inappropriate to award an event to another country that will potentially exclude 1 of the big Feds for the ISU,

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And thank you so much for your reports.

That rink looked bee-yoo-ti-ful. I could not think of anyplace more appropriate to hold it. And from what I could see, the audience did a wonderful job being respectful of rules :clap:

SCOB for the Grand Prix:biggrin:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
In the RLT there is discussion that there are limitations currently with visas for the Russians. Given that there are already limitations on them for IDF and possibly Canada, I think it would be extremely inappropriate to award an event to another country that will potentially exclude 1 of the big Feds for the ISU,
I vividly remember seeing a couple of Russians compete in Boston just yesterday! Accompanied by their coach, who also happens to coach a few well-known Russian ladies.

I suppose different skaters may have different types of visas, however :)

Amei

Record Breaker
I vividly remember seeing a couple of Russians compete in Boston just yesterday! Accompanied by their coach, who also happens to coach a few well-known Russian ladies.

Here are some posts referencing some of the visa issues, I think there was also a Junior Grand Prix event in the US a couple years ago and the Russians were short a spot because the skater initially chosen had to WD and the backup skater could not get a visa.

I had some lingering hope, that it might all work out… but yeah, seems like GP series are dead.
Trankov said that he (along with 1/2 coaches and skaters scheduled for SkAM) don’t have American visas, and that it’s looking like a problem.
Two olympic gold medalists(Pavlyuchenkova in mixed doubles tennis, Lasickene in high jump) from the Tokyo games can't get a visa to compete in the US. At this point, it's best to reallocate any Skate America spots to anyone who can travel to the US and not depend on the good will of those granting the visa applications.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Since clearly it is possible for Russian skaters to get visas, the location of Grand Prix's can't be "held hostage", IMO, by individual skaters' issues with visas.

Otherwise I would have boycotted many a GP when my man Misha Ge was not let in. ;)

I still say Boston sounds great. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think there is a problem for athletes in Canada.. the elite of tennis came to the Canadian open, including Russians. There was a bubble set up for them. Canada's has allowed some international events (curling comes to mind), all of which were controlled by a hotel bubble for the athletes, no matter where they came from. I could be wrong, we don't know what will be happening in the next few weeks, but at this place in time last year, it was clear that there would not be international skating events in Canada, JGP was cancelled but not the senior event... So i am thinking SCI will happen in Vancouver.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the issues with finding a new host is that the spots have already been allocated so for, e.g., Finland, would they be expected to take up hosting duties without getting any host spots? Or do some of the Chinese skaters get bumped to make room?
They got host spots last time they did it. About the Chinese skaters I do not know. But if it is not held somewhere no one will be skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since clearly it is possible for Russian skaters to get visas, the location of Grand Prix's can't be "held hostage", IMO, by individual skaters' issues with visas.

Otherwise I would have boycotted many a GP when my man Misha Ge was not let in. ;)

I still say Boston sounds great. :biggrin:
Oh Lordy. If they have it in Boston I don’t know what I’ll do.

St Louis sounds great!!!😂😂😂

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh Lordy. If they have it in Boston I don’t know what I’ll do.

St Louis sounds great!!!😂😂😂

Well, for me Boston sounds great, but Allentown sounds better.I always love to play "My backyard"😂.

And actually, SA one year was in Reading, Pa which is 35 miles from me, back when I was "fallen away" from FS. Geez, I'd think I died and gone to heaven if that happened again.

But I can't imagine anyone actually staying overnight in Reading????

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, for me Boston sounds great, but Allentown sounds better.I always love to play "My backyard"😂.

And actually, SA one year was in Reading, Pa which is 35 miles from me, back when I was "fallen away" from FS. Geez, I'd think I died and gone to heaven if that happened again.

But I can't imagine anyone actually staying overnight in Reading????
Is it dangerous? It’s not like I do anything but go from the hotel to the rink and back. The hotel I stayed at this weekend had a beautiful salt water pool which I never had time to get in. I mean I could be anywhere.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They got host spots last time they did it.
Yes, but last time the Grand Prix was moved before assignments were made, not after.

Now, I don’t think China can really object to some of its skaters getting uninvited, but it undeniably is awkward.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the women skaters from China are the ones at risk of being uninvited if it goes to Finland... but the men, pairs and perhaps even dance could be relatively safe...