Coronavirus and the new season | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

Country
Norway
I am hoping to attend my first World Championships here in Stockholm in March. No tickets are available yet because of the situation.

As I understand it, the latest information is that there is second waves of cases going on in certain countries BUT the death rate is still decreasing. Which is strange. Some have theories that this virus is dying on its own. It's too early to tell though.

We'll see what happens.

Yes and no. After the first wave, we had time to prepare, tested different treatments, and we know more about how to deal with the virus. More accurate measurements, more PPI for health workers to protect themselves are important factors. Virus load may also have something to say to how sick people get. If we get less virus due to measures, like face mask and distance, a lot may not be so sick.

On the other hand, there is still a lot of people being admitted to hospital and need for intensive care. More countries have the worst day now with new cases, compared to the first wave. Yes, there was probably a higher number of dark numbers earlier, as most countries have increased their testing capacity now, but the numbers are just continuing to increase. It is scary. Soon there is winter, we are more inside were it is easier to catch the virus. Flu season are also starting on top of it all. Intensive care unit several countries/regions are now starting to have capacity problem again, and we are back to the problems we had earlier - health system are kneeling again.

Another worrying thing is that more and more are not caring about the measures, about following quarantine, wearing face mask. It seems more people are less scared and obedient now compared to earlier - people are tired of this pandemic life. It is harder to deal with the virus now, because there is so much resistance.

Like everybody else I want to be done with this and I also have considered to buy tickets for WC in Stockholm. But right now I feel that is unlikely it will happen with todays situation going into the second wave.

I can not even see how it is going to work with skaters coming from all over the world, borders between the continents will probably be closed for a long time still and travel inside owns continent seems to be the most we can hope for now (but even crossing countries now in Europe are getting more and more difficult again).

Of course it is the vaccine coming, but we will not know how it will work.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I am hoping to attend my first World Championships here in Stockholm in March. No tickets are available yet because of the situation.

As I understand it, the latest information is that there is second waves of cases going on in certain countries BUT the death rate is still decreasing. Which is strange. Some have theories that this virus is dying on its own. It's too early to tell though.

We'll see what happens.
I heard that it’s due to lower viral load - mask wearing helps.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know I have been talking a lot about the situation on the island of Ireland, for the simple reason that I live there and so that is what I am most interested in.

But, over in Great Britain, cases are increasing as well. And quite a few regions have been put into localised lockdowns (to find out where, see this story). And one of these regions is the North-East of England. (If you want to know the retrictions in place there, see this story).

Which brings us to why I am bringing this up.

Just thought that I should share this story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54394199

That is the university that Aleksandra Golovkina goes to.

And I think she is in the Tyneside area at the moment, because 3 weeks ago she posted some photos of herself on the Millennium Bridge in Gateshead.

I hope Aleksandra and her friends are not affected.

CaroLiza_fan

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is new evidence that some people spread coronavirus much more than others. Here is one link https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1798746179554 I'm sure you can find others. If only they could predict who is likely to become a superspreader.

I don't know if they corrected for behaviour: I can predict without any research that people who socialize a lot and don't distance/wear masks are more likely to spread the virus than those who stay the blazes home, regardless of how much virus they shed.

readernick

Medalist
per IFS magazine on Twitter:
The rink in Grenoble that is set to host the French Grand Prix has been closed until further notice due to the spike of COVID-19 cases in France.
They might still be able to hold the event it will just need to be without an audience. The revenue for Skate America is closed. However, the event can go forward without an audience and with many measures (masks /testing / bubbles).

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Okay, the news about the closure appears to go back to March 23 (!). At least that’s what it says on the site the tweet links to.

Does anyone actually know what the *current* situation is at the rink? The news on the website is half a year old, lol. The news about the competition going ahead is much more recent, what with the fed actually replying to my question about the number of attendees allowed (i.e. max 1,000).

So I guess I’ll take this news with a grain of salt (sorry).

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The website for the Volvo Open Cup in Riga, Latvia has been updated and now hosts the Announcement and Entry Form for the 43rd Cup on 5-8 November 2020. I was starting to think they wouldn't be going ahead, as they're usually much more beforehand with the world regarding preparation than this, but under the current circumstances, it's probably understandable that they weren't just this once!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian Figure Skating Federation (FFKKR) currently cannot guarantee the holding of the Grand Prix stage in Moscow due to the unstable epidemiological situation. The general director of the federation, Alexander Kogan, announced this to journalists.
“It is premature to talk about forecasts for the Grand Prix stage, - said Kogan. - We are trying to save the season for our athletes, and so far we succeed. We hope that the stage in Moscow will be held in accordance with the schedule.”
Kogan also added that at present it is impossible to give guarantees that the second stage of the Russian Cup, which is scheduled for October 10-13 in Moscow, will be held with spectators.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here we go...starting to crumble already.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Here we go...starting to crumble already.
Or maybe the Russians (and others) are forced to implement precautions, figuring out how to "save the season" as they say - things like going for no-audience and finding different locations.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
About PoleSud in Grenoble, Chris Trevisan, the manager of Team Champery, says the venue has been closed since March for renovation.

It would be a more sensible option to move the venue to , relative neighbour of Champery and not too far from Grenoble, though it may be too short of a notice by now.
Courchevel is in a green zone and the rink is open from what I can find out; they might be able to hold I de F there instead. Villard-de-Lans, where the Masters de Patinage was just held, might be too small given that they'd have to get a decent sized TV crew in, but Vaujany (where Florent Amodio's school is) might be another option too.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

according to this article, all Moscow FS schools are closing due to coronavirus, including Sambo-70, Moskvich and Megasport (big arena, where events typically are held). Only team Russia members will be allowed to train.
I'd say, a very big chance events will be cancelled or held without viewers.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Courchevel is in a green zone and the rink is open from what I can find out; they might be able to hold I de F there instead. Villard-de-Lans, where the Masters de Patinage was just held, might be too small given that they'd have to get a decent sized TV crew in, but Vaujany (where Florent Amodio's school is) might be another option too.

The French Fed said arena is only closed until the 18th.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So..not to ring the alarm bell or anything but..

Ottawa is not doing well with Covid. We might be sent back to level 2 and if that happens I don't know if Skate Canada Int. would be allowed to happen.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ The Canadian Challenger is as good as cancelled then, right? I haven't seen an official announcement but I suppose there's no way it will overlap with SC (if there is a SC) or take place later. There's no point in that.
It's sad to see that even countries where people don't flaunt restrictions are now well into the second wave. I hope the ISU stipulates no audience for any GP that takes place.