Coronavirus and the new season | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but I just listened to the latest TSL and they said Papadakis/Cizeron had COVID over the summer. Did we already know this? I can't find any more info. That might explain why they were so winded during the IAM Live event. Hope they're both healing ok and not pushing too hard if true!

Have we heard about any other skaters getting it?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but I just listened to the latest TSL and they said Papadakis/Cizeron had COVID over the summer. Did we already know this? I can't find any more info. That might explain why they were so winded during the IAM Live event. Hope they're both healing ok and not pushing too hard if true!

Have we heard about any other skaters getting it?

I haven't heard a single thing from P/C or anyone else about either of them having had COVID-19 over the off-season. Tiffany Zagorski, on the other hand, apparently did have a mild case after leaving her training camp in Russia.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good for them to try and find a solution that will allow skaters to compete as safely as possible.
Seeing many maskless fans filling the stands in some other sports makes me shake my head. No wonder the virus is on the rise in Europe if this is how seriously some people take it. However, skating fans in general are more disciplined, so we'll see if strict rules prevent trouble at ice rinks. I hope they do.

After seeing the fans and coaches at Russian Test Skates, it would be hard to say that skating fans are more disciplined..... :(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am in the same boat, also reserved a non refundable hotel in Jan. to, I thought, save a few bucks.

I have all event tickets for nats.
As far as I know, no tickets were offered for SkateAmerica

I expect one of two things to happen at Nationals. Fans or no fans
If there is no event for fans, the promoter BETTER issue refunds....non refundable tickets in America only mean if there IS an event.
If the USFS decides to go ahead with a nats without fans, it will probably be at the Broadmoor in Colorado springs. Why do you need an arena? They dont have the money to pay for it without fans.....
Sleep well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It's a question with at least two parts. And over four months before 2021 Nats, it is understandable that nothing is written in stone one way or the other.
As is true of just about everything else in life during this pandemic, the caveat of "subject to change" applies. :ghug:

Part 1: Will 2021 U.S. Nats be held at all?

What we know is that two weeks ago, USFS announced its new Championship Series, which is the revamped qualifying structure just for 2021 Nats.
The new series includes eight competitions in November and early December. (Some of the pages for individual competitions say, "A tentative schedule will be available in early October," or something similar.)
As of now, I think it is fair to say that USFS is very actively working toward holding Nats.

(Without COVID, this season's original schedule for the normal qualifying season would have started at the very end of September.)​

Part 2: If 2021 U.S. Nats can be held, will spectators be allowed?

Who knows???

Nats would be an entirely different kettle of fish, but strictly FWIW, an excerpt from the FAQ for the Championship Series -- which does not include Nats:
Q: Will spectators be allowed?
A: At this time, it is safe to assume no spectators will be allowed. However, if an operation and safety plan can include spectators, you will be made aware. Information will be posted on the competition website.​

But again, a decision regarding spectators at Nats would entail more and different considerations.
I think the reality is that we have to just wait and see.​

I agree with you. The USFS wont tell me anything but I think you can kiss off spectators at Skate America. If I am correct, you dont need an arena but I suppose it COULD still be held in Vegas.
As far as nats, that is different. The promoters are expecting to sell tickets and make money in many ways.(Like Vegas would like to) If no spectators, by law, they will have to refund the money to the buyers. And the deal to hold the event is off.
Nats could be held at the Broadmoor or World arena secondary rinks or both. You dont need an arena without spectators.
Selfishly, I want them to Hold both SA Vegas one year later and Nats San Jose in 2022 and do what they think they have to in 2021.
Its a hot mess no matter what. Good luck to the powers that be in making decisions.:pray:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Nats could be held at the Broadmoor or World arena secondary rinks or both. You dont need an arena without spectators. ...

FWIW, if 2021 U.S. Nats does not have spectators, a possible scenario that I have heard is that Solar4America Ice (four sheets) would become the competition venue.
As of now, Solar once again is set to be a practice venue for Nats in San Jose. Also the venue for the juvenile-thru-novice National High Performance Development Team Camp, immediately after Nats.

... Selfishly, I want them to Hold both SA Vegas one year later and Nats San Jose in 2022 and do what they think they have to in 2021. ...

Just my opinion, but I do not think Scott Hamilton would give up 2022 Nats in Nashville lightly.
If it is not possible to hold a full-blown version of 2021 Nats in San Jose, my guess is that San Jose's next chance would not be until at least 2023 Nats.

FWIW, here's what happened with U.S. Adult Nationals:
2020 Adult Nationals originally were scheduled for April 14-18 in Newark, Delaware.
On Mar 13, they had to be cancelled.
The host for 2021 Adult Nationals already had been announced on Feb 5, 2020.
On April 15, Newark was announced as the host of 2022 Adult Nationals.​
(I get that "regular" Nats has much higher marquee value than Adult Nationals, but still ...)

... Its a hot mess no matter what. Good luck to the powers that be in making decisions.:pray:

Agree.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Exactly. Very concerning. Hopefully everyone will be OK..

Hopefully this doesnt turn into a super spreader event in the world of figure skating.
If it does not, perhaps some events can go forward with enforced intelligent social distancing and real/correct mask wearing.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
May i ask, why you/we all use a term 'social distancing'? I guess it is the term we get from the media and the news about COVID, but it is a wrong term to use even in the epidemiology way of thinking. The right term to use is a 'physical distancing'. Physical distance (required in COVID pandemic) can prevent some social activities, but social distance is a term which means much more than that. Or there is no difference in anglo-saxon languages between those two terms?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
May i ask, why you/we all use a term 'social distancing'?

It's used, from what I understand, as a way to remind people that when you are in a social situation (ie around other people that you don't share your home with every day of your life) you must stay physically distant from each other.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It's used, from what I understand, as a way to remind people that when you are in a social situation (ie around other people that you don't share your home with every day of your life) you must stay physically distant from each other.

That was my point - you need to be physically distant (and wear a mask), but you can still have social situations with it, just not in a same way (and not in a same environment). Changing the social behavior to be more physically distant doesn't mean you need to be a socially distant, just to be social in a different way. From a psychology point of view it is also not the right term to use, because social distancing often means a psychological problem.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
The fact that the two phrases have been used interchangeably is in and of itself a problem. Depending on where you are, the guideline indeed is to "socially distance," ie, don't gather with people in social settings, aside from the people you live with. At some point, people began to reinterpret the words to mean "physical distance," ie, we can still socialize, if we remain 6 ft apart. In reality, at least in my state of California, social gatherings with people you don't live with are still not permitted at all, even if you are "physically distant." https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CI...-of-COVID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings.aspx

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Social Distancing" is the phrase that has been used by the American medical community since the 2000's to describe the necessity to remain at a distance, not gather in crowds, etc. Upon rewatching the movie "Contagion", they talk about social distancing, long before COVID-19. And yes, the guidance for us has been both to stay a certain distance apart, and to reduce crowd size no matter how far apart you are.

This editorial writer sets out the etymology, and agrees that it is confusing to the average person, who thinks of "social" as being friendly, rather setting oneself out in a society.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/04/who-invented-the-phrase-social-distancing/

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yes, social gathering (with more of 6 or 10 people involved) can be forbidden, but you are still involved in social situations even with it, for example go to buy a food, work in a controled settings, play a tennis match, watching a movie in the outdoor cinema etc etc But my point is that things used to fight against COVID-19 by medical science are defined as physical distance and wearing a mask or/and other safety equipment. Now if one society don't practice those two things, the other ones may be required. But that is not because COVID-19 itself is asking for different types of 'social distancing', but because society don't use physical distancing and safety equipment the way it should. So, social distancing or quarantine (which is in my opinion the closest term to social distancing) may be applied then.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice Theatre of New York was featured in tonight's edition of the daily coronavirus e-mail update from Gov. Cuomo of New York.

The e-mails always end with a "Deep Breath Moment" -- a bright spot.

Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": In the interim between seasons, the Ice Theater of New York would usually practice in indoor rinks, but with the pandemic shutting down rinks, the figure skaters have swapped their blades for wheels. The performing group continues to practice with inline skates, using public spaces like parks and playgrounds to glide until the winter freeze arrives and they can return to the ice.

Although the above is not about the new season of competitive figure skating, this thread seemed like the best place for a mention. :)

(Small aside: No big whoop, but the New York Times article linked in the e-mail had a misspelling in ITNY's name, and the e-mail therefore did too. ITNY itself uses the spelling of "Theatre.")

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Let me tell you a story. For the past few years, the motorbike racing scene in Ireland has been really struggling financially, largely due to rising insurance costs. Lots of the smaller races have fallen off the calendar as the organising clubs couldn't afford to hold them, and at the start of the year we heard that the club that runs one of the two biggest races in NI had gone bust.

When the magnitude of the pandemic was realised, the governing body announced that this year's season would be cancelled. And that the clubs would be able to concentrate on fundraising.

However, the club that is local to me then said that they would run their meeting on a re-scheduled date. The sport's governing body was enraged, and the Southern Ireland branch of it said that they wouldn't allow their riders to take part. But, in the end, quite a few Southern riders did come up and take part.

A whole pile of additional rules for the competitors were brought in by the club. For example, to enable social distancing within the paddock and on the grid, teams could only bring 1 van and each rider could only have 2 attendents (of which only 1 could go onto the grid). They also had to wear face masks and provide their own hand sanitiser.

The club also said that they would limit the number of spectators to 1,000 people, and that rather than standing where-ever they wanted around the circuit, they would be in specially designated socially distanced areas.

The race meeting was held 2 weeks ago today. And right enough, whereas the spectators would normally be standing 3 or 4 deep up against each other, there were now three distinct rows with fences in between for people to stand in. Good in theory. But in practice, what happened was that there was a single file crowd in the front row, while the other rows were deserted. :palmf:

And afterwards, lots of the people who were at the race came into the town to go on a pub crawl.

Now, two weeks on, there are quite a few outbreaks in my hometown.

We know of at least 7 local businesses in the town that have had to close in the past few days for deep cleaning after they had outbreaks. And guess what – this includes 3 pubs and 2 restaurants!

Quelle surprise!

I know a lot of people won’t like it, but the sooner we go back into a full lockdown the better!

CaroLiza_fan

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I am hoping to attend my first World Championships here in Stockholm in March. No tickets are available yet because of the situation.

As I understand it, the latest information is that there is second waves of cases going on in certain countries BUT the death rate is still decreasing. Which is strange. Some have theories that this virus is dying on its own. It's too early to tell though.

We'll see what happens.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
BUT the death rate is still decreasing. Which is strange. Some have theories that this virus is dying on its own.
Never heard of that theory, and I wouldn’t hold my breath. Seems far more likely to me that the reason the death rate is decreasing (if that’s even true), is because the elderly / people at risk, and homes for the elderly etc. are much more aware of the virus now, plus many places have strict health measures in place to avoid new outbreaks in such homes.
(Certainly where I live, statistics show it’s the younger generation who now is affected much more, as they will happily ignore the rules and go partying etc. Thus second wave but fewer deaths as they are generally healthier / less at risk of complications).

I had high hopes for attending Worlds 2021, too, but my head tells me to do the smart thing and just curl up on the sofa and watch from home.