Coronavirus and the new season | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

according to this article, all Moscow FS schools are closing due to coronavirus, including Sambo-70, Moskvich and Megasport (big arena, where events typically are held). Only team Russia members will be allowed to train.
I'd say, a very big chance events will be cancelled or held without viewers.

IDK how non-national team members training in Moscow will get to the Russian Cup 2 event being held in Moscow this weekend or Cup 3 (3 weeks from now) if they are not allowed to train again until the 19th (2 weeks "vacation"). Like Volchkova said, that "vacation" could be extended....

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
IDK how non-national team members training in Moscow will get to the Russian Cup 2 event being held in Moscow this weekend or Cup 3 (3 weeks from now) if they are not allowed to train again until the 19th (2 weeks "vacation"). Like Volchkova said, that "vacation" could be extended....
I think we both know the answer to that... :(

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we both know the answer to that... :(
It was speculated for at least a week that this would happen. Moscow covid numbers has risen a lot, the country numbers are on the rise too. Other countries numbers are also rising and we are barely into fall. What does this look like in winter? :( I don't want to be a pessimist but trying to be realistic.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, I don't think it's all the schools in Moscow, it doesn't say that just schools under the jurisdiction of Moskomsport. Plushenko has a private school and may not be affected. I don't know about CSKA.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Living in complete isolation is no guarantee and these are healthy, young and strong athletes.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
There is a mutation of the virus now that is circulation in parts of Norway now and also reported in Europe. This mutation is much more contagious and you develop symptoms much faster. There is no reports about it that you get sicker, but there is also no reports that you necessary would have a milder case.

This is very much concerning, especially as we are moving towards winter and also flu season.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just writing a post for another thread, and found a couple of developments that I thought should be posted in here.

Thank you so much for finding the calendar PDF, Harriet. :thank: :clap: :points: I realise the vast majority of events won't go ahead as originally planned, but it is still helpful to have a print-out of the planned calendar.

Also, I didn't realise until I looked at it that there is supposed to be a Universiade this season. I say "supposed to be", as I would expect it to be one of the first things that get the chop if a vaccine isn't widely available in the near future. Because, how on Earth can you hold a big multi-sports event if you are in the middle of a pandemic and there is no way yet of tackling it?!

Although it is not on the calendar PDF, I just had a thought and checked if there was due to be an EYOF this season. And there is: in Vuokatti, Finland, starting a week after the Universiade finishes. As another multi-sport event, I would expect it to be in line for the chop too. I can't remember if EYOF's are normally included in the PDF. But if it is, it's absence from this season's PDF could be a sign that the ISU doesn't expect it to go ahead.

CaroLiza_fan

The Winter Universiade, including the skating event, will not be going ahead on 21-31 January 2021 as planned. The decision was made based on the current epidemiological situation and the fact that current (and foreseeable future) entry restrictions in Switzerland would prevent over 40% of the field from accessing the competition.

The organising committee has halted preparations for the event, but is investigating options for postponement rather than cancellation.

The EYOF and the Universiade have both been re-scheduled for the same week in December 2021.

EYOF: 11th - 18th December 2021 (Source)
Universiade: 11th - 21st December 2021 (Source)

Next season is going to be VERY busy!

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Bavarian Open, scheduled for 25-31 January 2021, has been cancelled. Germany is on the verge of going into stronger lockdown measures, so NRW Autumn Trophy may not happen either.

Sabine

On the Ice
The Bavarian Open, scheduled for 25-31 January 2021, has been cancelled. Germany is on the verge of going into stronger lockdown measures, so NRW Autumn Trophy may not happen either.
NRW autumn trophy has just been approved by the authorities. So I dont think it will be cancelled. Bavarian Open probably does not happen because there will be World Nordic Skiing Championships in Oberstdorf in february and thats more important than Bavarian Open which collides with Europeans anyway.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NRW autumn trophy has just been approved by the authorities. So I dont think it will be cancelled. Bavarian Open probably does not happen because there will be World Nordic Skiing Championships in Oberstdorf in february and thats more important than Bavarian Open which collides with Europeans anyway.
I know NRW is good to go under the current rules, but if the changes to restrictions that are being proposed go through, it might affect their ability to go ahead. We’ll have to wait and see!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I know NRW is good to go under the current rules, but if the changes to restrictions that are being proposed go through, it might affect their ability to go ahead. We’ll have to wait and see!
Fingers crossed....Bavarian Open is usually popular among Dutch Figure Skaters, so it would be a real pity if NRW gets cancelled too (a lot of Dutchies planning to go). However, health and safety before anything else. We'll see.

macy

Record Breaker
I expect Swedish Worlds to be cancelled.

Just a matter of when the announcement is going to come in. The numbers don't look promising at all.
it's way, way too early to make a decision on worlds. it's still 4 months out. if they can take a similar approach to worlds how USFSA did to skate america with the bubble concept, i think it's possible, and i think the ISU will probably do everything in its power to not have to cancel worlds 2 years in a row.

Amei

Record Breaker
It will not be in the hands of the ISU.

If the ISU wants worlds to go ahead, they might have to change location, or go virtual. But I do not expect Sweden to continue with it.
Perhaps Sochi? I remember around the time of the Olympics it was mentioned that Sochi was a bit out there in terms of location, plus I would bet there are some Olympic accommodations that could be utilized to be a bubble. And Russia has done some decent things like the digital support to have fan interaction without fans physically being at the event.

Sabine

On the Ice
It will not be in the hands of the ISU.

If the ISU wants worlds to go ahead, they might have to change location, or go virtual. But I do not expect Sweden to continue with it.
He is talking about a time frame of 4 weeks, possibly til Christmas. Worlds will be in march. You can not predict now what the situation will be then. So why cancel Worlds? By the way the situation in Russia is not better. They just go ahead with sports competitions (and most of us are really happy about that). So why should n't the Swedes do World Championships?