Coronavirus and the new season | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

Country
Norway
Do they even know if OG will be next year? I just realized in about 2 weeks there is only 1 year left. That is crazy close!!

Apple1078

Final Flight
Do they even know if OG will be next year? I just realized in about 2 weeks there is only 1 year left. That is crazy close!!
I guess if Tokyo happens, Beijing will happen, too. Last thing I heard was that Japan is adamant that Tokyo will happen. I'm just not sure how without a massive effort to get everyone vaccinated and I'm not even sure if that's possible. We'll see.

But you're absolutely right; it's crazy close!!

1111bm

Final Flight
I think it will be difficult pushing worlds to Autumn, especially in an Olympic season, because skaters would have to peak twice within a couple of months, first worlds and then in Beijing.
And what about new programs, they would need competitions before Worlds to get some mileage with those.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess if Tokyo happens, Beijing will happen, too. Last thing I heard was that Japan is adamant that Tokyo will happen. I'm just not sure how without a massive effort to get everyone vaccinated and I'm not even sure if that's possible. We'll see.

But you're absolutely right; it's crazy close!!
I’m not sure either. I had mentioned in another thread that there’s been a suggestion the UN make the call.
But it is only a suggestion.
Tokyo is in a bad spot. If they actually want to have an Olympics, with paying spectators (I’m sure they could give away tickets and get the impression of crowded venues), they might be better served to wait. I’d expect it to be a very small Olympics, with few countries participating, if they were to have it as scheduled. Just my opinion though. I could be 110% wrong.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I’m not sure either. I had mentioned in another thread that there’s been a suggestion the UN make the call.
But it is only a suggestion.
Tokyo is in a bad spot. If they actually want to have an Olympics, with paying spectators (I’m sure they could give away tickets and get the impression of crowded venues), they might be better served to wait. I’d expect it to be a very small Olympics, with few countries participating, if they were to have it as scheduled. Just my opinion though. I could be 110% wrong.

More politicians involved, nothing can go wrong there! :rofl:

1111bm

Final Flight
Based on current projected timelines for vaccination in the countries that would realistically be competing at the Winter Olympics, I think the Beijing Games are fine.
But that doesn't take into account the time the athletes need to get ready and gather competition experience in the season leading up to the Olympics, plus qualifying events. I don't know anything about the other winter sports, but for skating it is pretty clear that the season needs to start in the late summer (never mind that with those few opportunities to compete, this season is already pretty much 'lost' and many didn't get the chance to built momentum, gain experience, slowly building up to new elements etc.).

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Japanese government seems to have shifted its position rather, according to this article (mostly behind a paywall, but the first two paragraphs cover the main points anyway).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
"Japan's government has privately concluded the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus, The Times reported on Friday, citing an unnamed senior member of the ruling coalition."

another report. Seems like there are some differences and people are still debating

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Don’t scare me like that! I swear my heart stopped for a second. The 2021 Olympics hasn’t been cancelled. .....yet.

If it does, my heart goes out to the athletes. Especially the runners. That will truly be devastating.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

Apparently WCs are to proceed as planned, though not yet official.

IF official, then I agree this is a good plan:

Philip Hersh said:
@olyphil

The only way @ISU_Figure can try to have the World Championships safely is a one-strike-and-you-are-out policy for every country about masking and social distancing regulations. That means an entire nation’s athletes go home if there is a violation by an athlete or coach.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Apparently WCs are to proceed as planned, though not yet official.

IF official, then I agree this is a good plan:

I agree with Phil except I would take it further.

No strikes. You're out for a first offence. Because all it would take is one screw-up and suddenly COVID is being spread through Worlds.

The other thing is that if the ISU had such a policy, it would need to have the balls to enforce it when Russia breaks it on Day 1.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
No strikes. You're out for a first offence. Because all it would take is one screw-up and suddenly COVID is being spread through Worlds.
I think that *is* what he means? One strike = first offence, if I read it correctly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think that *is* what he means? One strike = first offence, if I read it correctly.
No, Hersh's proposal is that teams get one warning and on the second offence they get thrown out. I am advocating for something harsher - no warnings at all, straight ejection for a first offence.

I mean, maybe at this point they should just circumvent that not invite Russia at all.