Crossover help | Golden Skate

Crossover help

homericdanger

Rinkside
Hi everyone!

I have a bit of an embarrassing question, but I hope someone might be able to help.

I used to be a lot smaller and I could do crossovers back then. Injury forced me to sit out for a year and I've gained a lot of weight. I now feel like I can't do crossovers anymore because my legs have grown so big. It's hard to explain, but when I do the cross step, it feels like I don't have space to put down the crossing leg because I don't have space between my legs like I used to. I can still get on the outside edge and all that, it's just the crossing that's not working as it should.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much!

Elija

On the Ice
My best guess is bend your knees more. Then bend them more again lol. If your knees are properly bent you should be able to cross, even with larger thighs. Do you have a coach? It’s hard for people on the internet to give advice without knowing what exactly you’re doing, so it would best to get lessons and ask their advice if you aren’t already.

homericdanger

Rinkside
My best guess is bend your knees more. Then bend them more again lol. If your knees are properly bent you should be able to cross, even with larger thighs. Do you have a coach? It’s hard for people on the internet to give advice without knowing what exactly you’re doing, so it would best to get lessons and ask their advice if you aren’t already.
My coach says it's all in my head and she sees no reason why it shouldn't work because I'm doing it correctly. Maybe she's right, but I'll definitely try bending even more! Thank you so much!

LokiPoki

Rinkside
Forward crossovers are the bane of my existence right now. I think I need to get a tattoo of 'bend your knees' and 'don't get up',

I am slightly worried that I look like I'm crabwalking haha, but my coach says not and to keep bending.

Good luck!

homericdanger

Rinkside
Forward crossovers are the bane of my existence right now. I think I need to get a tattoo of 'bend your knees' and 'don't get up',

I am slightly worried that I look like I'm crabwalking haha, but my coach says not and to keep bending.

Good luck!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Maybe we need a line of pants with 'bend' on the knees, haha.

mskater93

Record Breaker
@homericdanger, I can tell you if you have major body changes, it sometimes messes with your internal perception of elements. I have lost a major amount of weight quickly and my body image is messed up on some things. My one coach will say sweep your free leg closely past your skating leg and then she'll tell me it needs to be closer to my current body, not my previous body. Slowly it gets there and starts to straighten itself out. When you are "larger" than you were, you are going to really need to lean in to the edge to feel comfortable on those crossovers.

homericdanger

Rinkside
@homericdanger, I can tell you if you have major body changes, it sometimes messes with your internal perception of elements. I have lost a major amount of weight quickly and my body image is messed up on some things. My one coach will say sweep your free leg closely past your skating leg and then she'll tell me it needs to be closer to my current body, not my previous body. Slowly it gets there and starts to straighten itself out. When you are "larger" than you were, you are going to really need to lean in to the edge to feel comfortable on those crossovers.
It's so interesting to hear this. Maybe my coach is right and it's just going to take a while to get used to my new dimensions. Thank you so much!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's the knee bend. Bend your knees until you feel like a gorilla and that your knuckles are almost dragging on the ice. Then bend more. Seriously. The more knee bend you have, the more space there is between your feet and legs.

homericdanger

Rinkside
It's the knee bend. Bend your knees until you feel like a gorilla and that your knuckles are almost dragging on the ice. Then bend more. Seriously. The more knee bend you have, the more space there is between your feet and legs.

Thank you so much for this mental image! That really helped! My crossovers aren't back to how they used to be, but I can now cross! :D Thank you!!