Dark horse Olga Mikutina thrives in Feldkirch | Golden Skate

Dark horse Olga Mikutina thrives in Feldkirch

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Austrian, who describes herself as “well-balanced, hard-working, ambitious and positive,” sees her strengths as a skater in her interpretation and expression of emotions. “I think I can feel the music well and I enjoy expressing the music so that I process it through myself and can dance with my soul.” While she feels spins and jumps come easy to her, she admits that her weakness is her perfectionism. “I always want to do better.”

Interestingly enough, Mikutina says she has no idols. “Each person is an individual and interesting. You can learn from everyone,” she pointed out. “I don’t think it is right to copy someone. It is better to be a good original than a bad copy.”

I love that last sentence: " It is better to be a good original than a bad copy.”

What music do you think would be good for the new short program? What do you think are the chances of Stefanie Pesendorfer placing in the top six at ladies if she goes to Nebelhorn?

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Thank you so much for the article about Olga!!! :love2::love2::love2: Let's hope that her success brings a renaissance to Austrian figure skating.
And good luck and speedy recovery to Steffie. 💐 If she gets healthy in time for Nebelhorn I firmly believe she can grab that second spot for the Olympics!

Weathergal

Medalist
It's great to see European Ladies skating have some positive news and momentum. Of course there are the Russian Ladies, of which there are many and who are amazing! But the rest of Europe has had a pretty dry spell, and I keep hoping that skating - in all disciplines - will enjoy a renaissance there. I firmly believe that skating as a whole is better if it has stronger competition across the globe.

Loena Hendrickx and Olga Mikutina had a great Worlds and hopefully Alexia Paganini will rebound next season as well. Also Eva-Lotta Kiibus has had some good outings.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I'm rooting hard for Olga, she has so much potential. She and Loena could really present a challenge for the US, Japanese and Korean ladies. Manifesting a strong season for both of them 🙏.

(Also that Lutz has a difficult entry and lots of speed. Love it.)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She was one of the stories of 2021.

The only sad thing about all this attention is that she is not our little secret anymore @CrazyKittenLady @NaVi. But that’s from a selfish standpoint, I’m glad for her career she is getting this attention, at home and abroad.
Actually, I think @Jeanie19 was the first who predicted Olga's rise to fame when we watched Austrian Nationals back in December. :bow:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I enjoyed Mikutina's skating at the recent World championships (my first introduction to this athlete). She has a special feel for music, so I will be interested in seeing her future career progress.