Do you get nervous for your skaters?

katymay

Medalist
I get very nervous with Trusova, and in fact I say a quick prayer. I always suspect she will try to do the impossible.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
I've been a fan of Yuzu since 2012. That guy was so gung-ho with his well-being even as a kid that one would have thought that his older fans have developed a much stronger nerve. But NO, almost every competition he's in gives me some sort of PTSD! So glad that he's gone mellow now somewhat.
At least my other fave, Rika Kihira, is not as dramatic. I can relax whenever she's competing.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Depends on the skater(s). I wasn't nervous whenever I watched Michelle Kwan skated, as she usually skated her best, And like iluvtodd, I can watch Nathan Chen without a quiver. But for the pairs skaters and and dance teams I favor, it can be nerve wracking.
But not at this upcoming US Nationals. Because of real life events, all I want is for the event to happen safely. If my preferred skaters mess up, I won't whine or get upset for more than three seconds. There are more important things to be very concerned about this week.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get nervous like "OMG I hope my favorite wins" because that's a waste of time.

I get nervous when a pair team is obviously having a bad day, and still has lifts and throws remaining in the program, but that's because I understand how dangerous those are.

I sometimes get mildy anxious when a skater (any skater) is having a great performance and the excitement builds as th program goes on, but that's because I want them to have that "moment" for themselves. That must be so satisfying.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I get nervous for so many skaters, especially my absolute faves like Yuzu, Shoma, Jason, Gracie, Evgenia, Alysa, Aliona, Sasha T, and almost every Japanese lady :ROFLMAO: The night before any of them compete, I get super nervous, so you are definitely not alone there (the week where there’s Japanese AND Russian Nationals gets me so excited but also very nervous haha)!

Last edited:

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Really depends on the skaters.

For Yuzu, I get nervous from the moment that the media shows him entering the venue. I can't eat anything until he has skated, or else I will throw up. I get nervous even when he is in open practice as I am worried about his ankles.

For my other faves, I get nervous when they step onto the ice, especially before the big jumps.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whenever Zhenya is competing I think I am about to have a heart failure, I get so anxious for my favorites. Like Arriba I also often forget what happend during the live program due to nerves and have to rewatch it again. 🙈
Me too. The funniest experience for me was 2019 Worlds. I was fairly calm for the Short program. The long program, I muted the tv, went into the kitchen,set the timer for 4 minutes. I walked back into the living room just as she roared. I knew she did well. :laugh2:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Me too. The funniest experience for me was 2019 Worlds. I was fairly calm for the Short program. The long program, I muted the tv, went into the kitchen,set the timer for 4 minutes. I walked back into the living room just as she roared. I knew she did well. :laugh2:
That was me during the Russian Cup Final in 2019. Watched her SP live and before her FS started I threw my phone on my bed and went into the kitchen to get myself a cup of coffee, came back 5 minutes later :laugh:

CrazyKittenLady

My cat jumps better Axels than me.
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
In the olden days :wink: (I started following FS with a passion in 2004) I was awfully nervous for my faves. I remember in the two weeks leading up to the 2006 Olympics I could barely sleep. All of the skaters I loved and supported back then were among the favourites for the medals in their respective disciplines, so the stakes were really high. The skaters I've followed closely since then were/are by and large much more inconsistent, and weirdly, that makes me less anxious. If the expectation is not for "my" skater to win the gold medal, it is a much more joyful experience when they actually manage to reach the podium.
(Tbh, after all this big talk, deep down I'm just waiting for the next skater who will give me sleepless nights before big competitions :ROFLMAO: ).

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
SO nervous! I was a wreck whenever Alaine Chartrand competed. I have definitely shouted “Nooo!” at my screen when someone misses a jump or falls or cursed when a Dance team doesn’t get a key point or level. Though I’m a lot more quietly anxious when I’m at the event haha.

moonvine

Record Breaker
Depends on the skater(s). I wasn't nervous whenever I watched Michelle Kwan skated, as she usually skated her best, And like iluvtodd, I can watch Nathan Chen without a quiver. But for the pairs skaters and and dance teams I favor, it can be nerve wracking.
But not at this upcoming US Nationals. Because of real life events, all I want is for the event to happen safely. If my preferred skaters mess up, I won't whine or get upset for more than three seconds. There are more important things to be very concerned about this week.
There are more important things and I’m desperately trying to put aside all I have been obsessed with for the past week and dive into a skating bubble. I do not know if it will work but I am going to try.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
During my Michelle Kwan days I would get so nervous I couldn't watch. As a matter of fact I didn't watch her performance in 2002 at SLC in real time (good thing too 😭). I am the same way with the Los Angeles Lakers. Back when Kobe played (I still can't believe he's gone) I literally couldn't eat or sit down or anything. When I fan, I fan hard!

When Michelle competed she was the only skater I cheered for so it was an "all eggs in one basket" situation for me. If she didn't win I had nothing to be happy about. Thankfully, despite my nerves, she was a skater who delivered 95% of the time so there really wasn't a reason for me to be as nervous as I was.

Nowadays I don't really get nervous for skaters that much. I think it's because I'm not as invested in any of them the way I was with Michelle. I like a lot of different skaters and the one I love I've made peace with the fact that she sometimes has issues--Satoko. The last time I got nervous for someone was Mariah at nationals last year. I think it's because I really do love her skating and I wanted to see her do well. Prior to that...hmm...maybe for Ashley in 2016 at worlds.

figureskatingandrainbows

A good knee bend soothes my soul
Final Flight
When my faves are on I'll typically turn off the livestream and just refresh the results page. I don't think I could physically handle watching them skate live. I have no clue what I'm going to do during Worlds this year if they happen... especially if Jason gets to go.

moonvine

Record Breaker
I don't get nervous like "OMG I hope my favorite wins" because that's a waste of time.

I get nervous when a pair team is obviously having a bad day, and still has lifts and throws remaining in the program, but that's because I understand how dangerous those are.

I sometimes get mildy anxious when a skater (any skater) is having a great performance and the excitement builds as th program goes on, but that's because I want them to have that "moment" for themselves. That must be so satisfying.
I was absolutely gutted and very worried (for their physical safety) when Chris and Alexa’s first lift (or was it their twist - how I miss that glorious twist) did not go up because I immediately knew it had to be an injury and of course it was. That was very very difficult to watch.

moonvine

Record Breaker
There are more important things and I’m desperately trying to put aside all I have been obsessed with for the past week and dive into a skating bubble. I do not know if it will work but I am going to try.
It is working y’all! I can’t control other things that are going on in the world (nor can I control this) but this is a LOT more fun to obsess over.

moonvine

Record Breaker
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Half the time I "watch" Jason with my hands over my eyes. But when I'm at the comp, I manage to watch the whole thing.

Not just figure skating though: way back in the day when I was a Flyers fan and actually had tickets, I would go out to the concourse when I got too nervous. Luckily the tickets were in the last row:biggrin:
Yes ma’am! I always watched Chris and Alexa with my hands over my eyes. People used to ask me “how does that work?” Glad someone understands!
I once missed an iconic Crimson Tide game winning field goal kick (in 1985) now known as “The Kick.” Had my hands completely over my eyes.
Must go to Philadelphia some time and see Jalen play. For some reason I’ve had trouble getting people to tell him I’m his future wife. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Skatefan15

On the Ice
That was me during the Russian Cup Final in 2019. Watched her SP live and before her FS started I threw my phone on my bed and went into the kitchen to get myself a cup of coffee, came back 5 minutes later :laugh:
Same here! I watched both at the Final but was actually more nervous for her short because of what happened at nationals 😭 For Worlds, I also watched both, but then I was more nervous for the free (and our girl delivered!!) She might be one of the skaters I get most nervous for!

4everchan

Observer
Record Breaker
I would get so nervous for Patrick that I would video his performances because I could never enjoy the live viewing. In 2011, I was so happy after his Take 5 SP, that I could breathe during his LP. :drama:
Patrick is the skater that got me the most nervous and also the happiest :) Josée.. i am still nervous about her skates... even if they were recorded 20 years ago... I was never nervous for Kaetlyn though...or for Jeff Buttle or Nathan ... Nathan is super calming... I would get nervous for Weapo but never for Piper and Paul