Do you (personally) divide jumps by toe/edge or leg-switch/no-leg-switch? | Golden Skate

Do you (personally) divide jumps by toe/edge or leg-switch/no-leg-switch?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm a no leg switch girl at heart. My preference order for doubles (when I have all the jumps) is 2F, 2Lo, 2Z, 1A, 2S, 2T.

I don't have a preference for toe/edge as apparent above. How do you divide them? I'm not interested in the best way to coach or learn them, just how you personally divide the jumps based on how they feel to you.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Nope. Never, ever felt the need to divide them into groups. I obviously know the difference between edge and toe jumps, but leg switch/no leg switch never even crossed my mind. I always thought of them as "jumps I have to learn, no matter how much I may hate some of them" and that was that!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nope. Never, ever felt the need to divide them into groups. I obviously know the difference between edge and toe jumps, but leg switch/no leg switch never even crossed my mind. I always thought of them as "jumps I have to learn, no matter how much I may hate some of them" and that was that!
Do you have ones that you are better at or did you find that mindset helped you be more consistent?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
For me:
3T, 3S, 3F are the jumps I like the most in that order.
3Lo next.
XLz, XA dislike the most in that order.

When I just learning single axel/ doubles:
1A, 2F (favourites).
2S, 2LZ, 2Lo in that order.
2T (least favourite)

With Toe (any rotation) I always hate it right up to the second I land it, then it quickly becomes one of my favourite jumps.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I had more of an affinity for edge jumps, but I also hated the axel. In order of preference 2S, 2Lo, 2F, 2Lz, 1A, 2T. I'd say I don't like weight transfer jumps since the axel and the toe are my least favourites, but I love the salchow. I could do it on fumes.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
This is really interesting and I never thought to divide jumps like this before. I always would have divided it as toe vs edge, but I never really quite fit in as I love loop and axel (Even if my axel is only off ice at the moment) My favourite would have to be Flip and then Lutz, Toeloop and Loop are all interchangable for second place, depends on the day. I love them all fairly equally even though they're pretty different jumps, and since Toe is a switch leg jump I guess I don't really fit into a switch or no switch category. The dreaded salchow is miles behind in last place. It's just so hard to control for me. Many skaters at my rink are boggled by my love for Toeloop and hatred for salchow. (Two of the coaches at my rink have a real problem with teaching toe waltzes and toe axels, which I suspect is part of the problem with all this local toeloop hate)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love edge jumps Loop and Axel. But then I also love Flip. ;)

The rest just fall in line after that. Lutz, Toe Loop, Sal

I know, I'm confusing LOL I love edge jumps and one toe assisted!:laugh:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I love edge jumps Loop and Axel. But then I also love Flip. ;)

The rest just fall in line after that. Lutz, Toe Loop, Sal

I know, I'm confusing LOL I love edge jumps and one toe assisted!:laugh:
Generally a strong loop can lead to a strong flip/lutz, lutz being harder for many due to edge taking concentration. If your loop was very strong I'd suggest this is probably a reason.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Generally a strong loop can lead to a strong flip/lutz, lutz being harder for many due to edge taking concentration. If your loop was very strong I'd suggest this is probably a reason.
Well, of course, I know this lol! My axel is very strong too though. ;)

Emily98

Rinkside
I tend to prefer jumps with no leg switch, they feel more natural as I am directly in the correct position in the air. My favorites are the flip and loop, the lutz is a bit harder with the outside edge. Learning the Axel was a challenge because of the leg switch, it took me time to master the weight transfer and stop two-footing the landing. I don't have a particular preference between salchow and toeloop, they are both "neutral" for me.

This order might change now that I'm learning doubles though. I recently taught myself 2S and 2T off-ice and they feel great now; however, while I really like the 1L, I'm struggling to get the extra rotation for a 2L, but maybe that's just because of the lack of speed off-ice. I haven't tried 2F and 2Z yet. Can't wait to try them on ice once the rinks open!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This order might change now that I'm learning doubles though. I recently taught myself 2S and 2T off-ice and they feel great now; however, while I really like the 1L, I'm struggling to get the extra rotation for a 2L, but maybe that's just because of the lack of speed off-ice. I haven't tried 2F and 2Z yet. Can't wait to try them on ice once the rinks open!
(Personally) I find 2Lo is really hard off ice whereas 2F and 2Z are really easy off ice for me. The shape of the blade really does help you pop up into the air and initiate rotation.

Emily98

Rinkside
(Personally) I find 2Lo is really hard off ice whereas 2F and 2Z are really easy off ice for me. The shape of the blade really does help you pop up into the air and initiate rotation.
That makes sense. You can only rely on leg strength and rotation speed to get a decent off-ice 2Lo, while the blade motion on ice makes it more natural. I'll try the 2F and 2Z soon then!

Knebli

Rinkside
All I know is I have utmost respect for those with strong triple loops and quad loops! Wow! So courageous on the take off edge. How many types did I slip off the takeoff edge into the boards ...... and kill the tailbone? Nightmares......lol..... Mr Slipchuk has personal memories of this - it ended up great though - Junior Champ that year. :) How exciting a moment that was!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I tend to think of jumps as just toe or edge instead of right leg or left leg. I definitely prefer toe jumps because I love the feeling of vaulting a huge jump whereas edge jumps are more of a "spinning a jump".

In terms of my personal preference of jumps: lutz / flip / salchow / toe / axel / loop

Funny about loops - they were the first double and triple I ever landed, but I'm still not a fan of loops at all (still not!) because of the possibility to mess up the takeoff if you don't have the right timing/pressure on the blade (this has happened to me more times that I would care to count, lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJzwgesGKwE). But then I started to realize that loops are integral to ensuring proper backspin position in the other jumps, so I (begrudgingly) trained them more and it improved the rest of my jumps. Definitely during off ice training you want to be practicing loops to develop a controlled air position and because they are essentially just a hop into a backspin, they're good for identifying and correcting timing/axis issues. When I got my double axel, in my mind, I pictured it being a waltz jump + double loop, and sometimes breaking it down like that makes it easier/less daunting.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
this has happened to me more times that I would care to count, lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJzwgesGKwE
This is always the most painful fall for me.

When I got my double axel, in my mind, I pictured it being a waltz jump + double loop, and sometimes breaking it down like that makes it easier/less daunting.
This is interesting. I just imagined a normal axel + pulling in tighter and landed it (<) 4th try when I first got it. The first time I ever landed it was before I landed my 2Z. My single was very strong.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is always the most painful fall for me.

This is interesting. I just imagined a normal axel + pulling in tighter and landed it (<) 4th try when I first got it. The first time I ever landed it was before I landed my 2Z. My single was very strong.
What I hate about that fall is that your mind and body aren't prepared for it. Generally if you mis-time the other jumps and have to bail, you know you're in trouble, but a skid on the loop can just wind you and just leave you disoriented (and embarrassed, lol). And a sign you might need a skate sharpening!

And that's awesome that you got your 2A before your 2Z!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Generally if you mis-time the other jumps and have to bail, you know you're in trouble, but a skid on the loop can just wind you and just leave you disoriented (and embarrassed, lol)
Like Roman Sadovsky always says, it hurts your ego more than it actually hurt (or something along those lines haha).

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
tbh I just like jumping in general...

2A and sal are my favorites currently, but that's just because 3S is easy for me to do by accident (jumping too high + pulling in too much for a double--I make this mistake often WHICH I am working to stop haha), and even easier when I try, haha

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
tbh I just like jumping in general...

2A and sal are my favorites currently, but that's just because 3S is easy for me to do by accident (jumping too high + pulling in too much for a double--I make this mistake often WHICH I am working to stop haha), and even easier when I try, haha
Not a bad mistake. You never need to do 2S if you can do 3S ;).