Do you read the "country/discipline" threads?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While popular, not everyone reads the national threads (i.e. 2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating). Many news items and tidbits get buried that are not otherwise posted in the Edge (i.e. partnerships, coaching switches, etc.).

We would like everyone to be happy so here is a chance for you to vote!

Your username will not be shown.

surimi

Happy 21st, Sota!
Record Breaker
I voted 'sometimes'. I always read new posts in both Japanese FS threads, often check on Russian ladies (the post count of which has lately slowed down to a convenient pace for me), and sometimes I check out the other threads, especially Chinese skating and US ladies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I voted 'sometimes'. I always read new posts in both Japanese FS threads, often check on Russian ladies (the post count of which has lately slowed down to a convenient pace for me), and sometimes I check out the other threads, especially Chinese skating and US ladies.
Just wait for the preolympic time, that will go faster than TGV :biggrin:

silveruskate

On the Ice
The main problem is where else can skaters be tracked and compared. At least in Russia, there are so many domestic competitions that shouldn't spam The Edge, but some people want to discuss them.

I understand about news being posted as its own thread but there is so much random news posted on the RLT for example. If it was all posted on The Edge it would become completely spammed by Russian news. So really someone needs to take the lead and decide which news is noteworthy for everyone to read and comment on.

For example I think there should be "Aliona moves to Eteri" and "Rika moves to Lambiel" threads, but not "Sasha was seen by Arutyunyan one day" or "Russian national team announced". And Aliona landing a step-out 3A was important for me, but is it important for everyone?

surimi

Happy 21st, Sota!
Record Breaker
For example I think there should be "Aliona moves to Eteri" and "Rika moves to Lambiel" threads, but not "Sasha was seen by Arutyunyan one day" or "Russian national team announced". And Aliona landing a step-out 3A was important for me, but is it important for everyone?

Come to think of it, I would actually welcome a thread that would list all national teams because this news is interesting to me :) Better to find it in a designated thread than buried in the depths of the Russian Ladies thread, or having to go through, say, Russian Men who I don't follow at all...

RobinA

On the Ice
I rarely read them because there is too much to wade through to find out if there is anything I might be interested in. I would prefer more specific thread names - "[Skater's name] leaves longtime coach." That way, if it's something I am interested in I can read it. Yes, it does cause me to miss things, probably a lot of things, but going through hundreds of posts is just not something I want to do.

amarjargal

Rinkside
While I check every new post on Japanese ladies and other smaller national threads, there are always way too many pages since I last visited in Russian ladies thread, so I'm not able to read all of them and of course I miss some of the topics I'm interested.

To solve this, how about subthreads inside the national threads? One subthread for the general discussion and people can open threads in other new topics. That way, Russian ladies news will not overflow Edge and we can get the updates in more accessible way.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I voted "never".

However, that is not totally accurate. Because I do regularly visit the British / Irish thread and the Dutch thread. And I do post in both of those threads. But, somehow I don't think that this poll is referring to the threads for small teams. ;)

I have been actively avoiding the national threads for the big teams for quite a few years. Any time I have ventured into any of them for a nosey, I have found there is too much arguing going on. And I can't be bothered with that.

The other problem is that they are too fast moving. If you want to come back and find something specific a few weeks after it has happened, it is next to impossible to find it.

So, I tend to go to other places on the forum.

• If I want to find out about retirements or changes to partnerships, I go the the "Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes" thread.

• If I want to find out about coaching changes, I go the the "Coaching Changes" thread.

• If I want to read about what happened at a specific event, or ask something about it, I go to it's thread / sub-forum in the competition forum.

• If I want to read about a specific skater, or ask something about them, I go to their Fan Fest.

Most of the skaters that people want to talk about already have their own Fan Fest threads. For those that don't, there are usually other appropriate places that can be found. For example, within the Fan Fest Forum, there is a "Teams and Coaches" sub-forum where there are threads dedicated to some of the smaller national teams, and threads dedicated to specific coaching teams.

If we were to move away from having national threads in The Edge, perhaps this area of the Forum could be built up. Having threads for more of the smaller national teams and for more coaching teams. To catch more of the skaters that don't have their own Fan Fests.

So, there are alternatives to these monster national threads in The Edge.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Come to think of it, I would actually welcome a thread that would list all national teams because this news is interesting to me :) Better to find it in a designated thread than buried in the depths of the Russian Ladies thread, or having to go through, say, Russian Men who I don't follow at all...
Agree, this is a very good idea!

Like Harriet listed the small federation National Championships. Kudos to her although the outcome was pretty depressing this season.

Cutting the ice

Spectator
WRT national threads, I usually only read my country's national thread, although it often gets hijacked with discussion about other countries' skaters. I do want a place to catch up with what is happening in my country, particularly regarding developing skaters. Our international-level skaters and what they are doing at international competitions could probably have their own threads (I rarely go to the fan fest page I admit) and leave the national-level information in the national thread. BTW - I never read the Russian ladies thread and would rather go to a non-national thread and not being inundated with posts about them. So please leave it for those posters.

Minz

Why not?
On the Ice
Country
United-States
One thing I like about the national threads is that it gives a place to discuss general news that doesn’t really require it‘s own thread. Big things like coaching changes can have their own thread, but some random video or post or layout question is good for the national threads because people can talk about it a bit, but having an individual thread for each thing is unnecessary.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I enjoy reading the Canadian FS thread (and I often tune in and post as well), because it covers all disciplines in that country, the same applies to some others which I always follow (British/Irish skaters for example) mostly about small federations, obviously the Dutch thread because I opened it, or even the Russian and American Pairs or Men's threads as those disciplines interest me the most and these countries have much to offer on those disciplines. But like @CaroLiza_fan, I look at other places to find out about splits and retirements (there's an excellent thread for that), competitions, specific skaters, Pair skating in general (there's a lovely thread about the divine sport of Pair skating), etc.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"not everyone reads the RLFS" - you mean the one with 4M views, that one? :)

No need for snark ;) I'm referring to all the country/disciplines in general.

Our concern is that there are no unique and creative threads as many folks think they may have to post news/tidbits into the respective country/discipline thread when that is not the case.