Does Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker's height difference matter? | Golden Skate

Does Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker's height difference matter?

Skategmt

On the Ice
After watching US Nationals this weekend, I really enjoyed Kaitlin and Jean-Luke's programs. I have watched them before, but I never saw them skate that well. Tara and Johnny brought up (at least three times) the height difference between the two. I don't have a problem with the height difference, but I think the judges do/might.

My questions are...

Is Kaitlin going to Grow more? And if she does, will the two break up?
Is Jean Luke going to grow more?
Is there a way to make Jean-Luke look taller on the ice (like put insterts in his skates or something)?

I know that the last question is a little bit weird, but its just an idea.

jcoates

Medalist
Jen-Luc's height is really only relevant to that of his partner, not so much to that of female skaters on other teams. Assuming their listed heights are still accurate, that 14 cm (5.5 inch) difference is about the same as Davis and White and bigger than the 3 inch difference between Virtue and Moir. When Meryl and Charlie moved up to seniors, they were also cited as being shorter than the typical dance teams at the time. In particular, there was concern about the Meryl not having long enough leg lines. V/M's height difference used to be very much the standard in dance before difficult lifts became so integral to dance.

I think what makes them appear smaller to some observers are two things. First, Jen-Luc has a comparatively slight frame. It makes him appear to be close to the same size as Kaitlin. Second, the US teams ahead of them have very noticeable height differences. C/B- 12 inches, Shibs- 9 inches, 8 inches. When all of them are in the same competition, a difference like that can stand out.

elif

Medalist
Jen-Luc's height is really only relevant to that of his partner, not so much to that of female skaters on other teams. Assuming their listed heights are still accurate
Do you think his height is accurate?:rolleye:

jcoates

Medalist

Not as much as in past eras of dance. (Don't understand the snark BTW to an honest answer based on factual data. :confused:) They've been received well internationally this season, with their scores going up with each competition. They already passed former training mates, Aldridge and Eaton, domestically and internationally. They were very close to Hubbell and Donohue this weekend.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
More revealing of USFSA's support of Jean-Luc and Kaitlyn is the fact that they were assigned the 4C's over Hubbell & Donohue. The kids had a stellar senior debut season, which included a GP bronze medal at one event.

elif

Medalist
14 cm height difference data is wrong, that is why...:rolleye: Usually ISU profiles doesn't show skaters real heights, they are often less than real, because ISU don't update after junior years. This is first time actually I see ''higher than real'' wrong data. I can understand their coaches and federations of course. If someone ask a question about their height you can show them ISU page to shut them up. Of course after that point, this will be their ''true height'' no matter what you see in TV or in pictures. Clever, very clever... :laugh:

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
Considering how strong of a lifter Jean Luc is, I don't think it's a problem. Especially if he does bulk up a little more in the future.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their height really doesn't matter when you see them skating together: you become totally engaged with their performance. They have a brilliant future, but there will always be detractors who will bring up non-issues like height. The same thing happened with Tessa Virtue and her 'weight' :rolleye:.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I thought they talked about how diminutive the team is as a whole, and not specifically about the height difference. It is true that they are small. Jean-Luc has always been relatively small compared to other skaters, but they've always packed a punch in presentation, and given that Kaitlin is probably done growing, they should be fine.

humbaba

Final Flight
Hawayek and Baker look very close in height to me. At their ages, I don't think either will grow much taller, although they may fill out some. To my eye, height is not an issue in their skating. They look beautiful together. Their lifts are wonderfully smooth and appear very secure. I think Baker is one of those wiry little guys who is a lot stronger than his slight build might lead one to believe.

I especially love the way H/B don't belabor the preparation for their lifts. For example, in those lifts where the girl stands on the guys thigh. With most teams you can see those coming from a mile away, because they make a production of getting the girls foot in the right spot and so on. H/B do one of those lifts near the end of their FD dance where Kaitlyn steps right onto Bakers thigh and BOOM, they're into the lift in the blink of an eye. Love that.

Hawayek/Baker may not be able to do some of the more acrobatic lifts that teams such as Chock and Bates or Davis and White do. However, I don't think that is at all an issue. H/B's lifts are wonderful and impressive in a different way.

meteorlight8

Rinkside

FWIW, I could almost swear his isu bio used to (last year) say 170cm for his height - def. it wasn't 174 (I remember thinking ohh he's pretty short, and I wouldn't have thought that if it was 174). I looked this up b/c I was curious about their height difference too at the time.

Anyway, just wanted to share. He seems to be a strong lifter, so the height doesn't seem to be much of a disadvantage for them. I actually find it interesting how solid H/B's lifts are given his slight and shorter frame ... while on the flip side, you have much bigger guys in teams with more of a height difference struggling on the lifts ...

Skategmt

On the Ice
I don't see a problem in height, but would the judges in the future see it as a problem? ( I'm somewhat new to following figure skating, sorry for the "beginner" questions)

slider11

Medalist
Of all the US Nationals dance teams, Hawayek and Baker's FD is the one I went back to watch - several times. They are VERY good and really capture the dance with their light, engaged style. Their size was not relevant to me as an observer. I was totally mesmerized.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I don't see a problem in height, but would the judges in the future see it as a problem? ( I'm somewhat new to following figure skating, sorry for the "beginner" questions)

Given that they won the world junior championships last year and earned the bronze medal at NHK this year, I would say the judges don't mind their height.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Denkova/Staviiski were also a very small couple, and it didn't prevent them from becoming World champions.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It is a disadvantage only for lifts. They're going to have to be very creative about them. And that might turn out to be a plus. Sometimes a potential liability turns out to be the source of great creativity.

They have two advantages. The similarity in height used to be the norm for ice dancing, because it can make for a very visually pleasing line. And they've got great speed--and it keeps getting better. It's almost scary to see just how much speed they've gained in only a year (go back and watch some performances of Amelie and you'll see what I mean).

And, as Tanith noted, they skate big. They have terrific ice coverage and presence.

padme21

On the Ice
I absolutly love Hawayek/Baker! Besides the Shib Sibs they are my new favorites. They remind me of Davis\White. I hope to see them have the same success in seniors as they
did juniors. About the hight deference I dont think it really matters ive seen in pair the woman was taller than her male partner.

sses1

On the Ice
I don't think its the height difference that makes lifts difficult, but rather the build of the skater. V/M had the most difficult lifts ever and they were so similar in height but their builds were athletic and sleek, in particular Tessa was very agile. A team like H/D have problems with lifts because they're more stocky and closer in height. H/B have been doing okay so far in the lift department but I would like them to change it up for next season. That curve lift has gotten old.

whatif

Medalist
I think it's actually endearing to see the male partner so tiny, yet so well matched? And as others mentioned they skate really big on TV screen. I have never seen them live so can not compare , which I suspect is very obvious particularly in comparison to other teams, but on TV it's not that noticeable.