Donovan Carrillo | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An new interview with Donovan in IFS magazine::clap:

highlights:

Donovan will be trying a quad in the short and ETA: two in the free.

He has a new choreographer for the SP (maybe Benoit?)

And this wonderful quote:

“I am very excited, not only for me but also for the next generations. When I was younger, and I told people that my dream was to reach the Olympics, many times they took it as a joke. Someone who achieved big things in this sport once told me at my first Junior Grand Prix that because we are Mexicans we cannot achieve anything better than last place at internationals, and that it was crazy to imagine another result. The good news is that I didn’t listen to that crazy comment. I don’t believe in that and I don’t want this mentality in the next generations in my country.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for the double post, but more selfishly for me (and maybe a few others here ;).)

Donovan was planning on going to the Philly International again

*If* it is held, which sadly looks doubtful😥

But he is not retiring, so again selfishly, I may still have more chances to see him. :dance3:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An new interview with Donovan in IFS magazine::clap:

highlights:

Donovan will be trying a quad in the short and the free. ...

"Nuñez said the technical content for his student′s programs next season has been decided: one quad in the short and two in the free."

Maybe el henry is referring to only one particular competition? Although I did not see such a reference in this long and enjoyable article?

[I am confused that the IFS article says that Donovan has no corporate sponsorships?
I don't understand Spanish, but some of his social media content has promoted certain brands, and I always happily believed that he was getting sponsorship (on some level) from these brands. I'm referring to mainstream, non-skating-specific brands (including Crest? Colgate 🦷🪥), as well as sports-related and skating-related brands.
I am sad that perhaps I had been too optimistic.]

If(?) Donovan still is interested in a U.S.-hosted international, he could think about Cranberry Cup International and/or U.S. International Classic ....

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@ice coverage is right about the quads, I wrote too quickly, and will correct my post. I also commend the entire article to anyone interested in our boy. :)

I know Sylvia suggested Cranberry as a substitute on Twitter (and kindly confirmed my query about ETA: Philly International being only the club comp) so all of our friends in Boston may yet get a chance to see Donovan skate(y)

Last edited:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
[I am confused that the IFS article says that Donovan has no corporate sponsorships?
I don't understand Spanish, but some of his social media content has promoted certain brands, and I always happily believed that he was getting sponsorship (on some level) from these brands. I'm referring to mainstream, non-skating-specific brands (including Crest? Colgate 🦷🪥), as well as sports-related and skating-related brands.
I am sad that perhaps I had been too optimistic.]
I'm confused too. He has promoted a lot of brands on his insta, but maybe it's a kind of deal where they pay him per post/story and not an official sponsorship. He also appeared in a Colgate commercial recently 🤔

Well, even if he doesn't have sponsors, I'm glad that he does have a lot of brands who are interested in working with him.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Great interview! Lots of exciting news.
I'm happy that he'll get to work with a new choreographer and that he's getting to train with all these foreign coaches.

Also, the quads and the new costume!!

And it's so good to know that he's planning to compete after the Olympics. There's so much room for growth and it looks like he's just getting started. 😁

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Great SP from Donovan! I hope he has a fabulous season

.... but as a side note

Has anyone seen the Mexican Gymnast Start Your Impossible Toyota ad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik82joBCD6Y

Does anyone else feel we need to start a campaign for Toyota to sponsor Donovan with a follow up commercial? Maybe the road could get slick/slippery instead of steep? I feel like he kinda fits the same theme and idea. Heck figure skating might even be more popular/marketable in Japan, so it could even be more successful for them.

Anyway... dare to dream and hope right? I think it would be a great follow up for them.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan's SP at the Cranberry Cup (and yes, the stream was spotty)

I love this costume, I love that Donovan brings the bling to go with his personality:party2:

with a certain someone waving a huge Mexican flag in appreciation after the skate. Goldenskaters represent!:)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He looked great. :dance3:He is one point out of third after the SP.

He tried the quad sal, and stumbled out of it, but didn't fall. His speed increases with every comp, I swear. And of course the usual Donovan swagger.

And that costume is the perfect amount of Donovan bling!

Video of Donovan's SP from Russian social media, so hopefully it will stay up:

Last edited: