Dorothy Hamill on Joan Rivers Show on Decades channel

LiamForeman

Medalist
What a fun interview. I love Dorothy. She's so real. She's sporting a hairdo that is more like my "Mom Special" bowl cut I had growing up! lol

LiamForeman

Medalist
Dorothy talked about her first marriage to Dean Paul Martin. Too Hollywood, not what she was used to, having lived in an ice rink her whole childhood and having everyone do everything for her. She was on her second husband who she said was a sports medicine doctor, and Joan was like that's perfect for you!! EEK. What I have always liked about Dorothy is that she has this innocence and vulnerability, yet you see she has this amazing ability to do her thing even if it defies any accountant's warnings. You could almost see the bankruptcy in slow motion. She was way too kind and trusting.

ssffww

On the Ice
Love Dorothy Hamill. I met her in a bar in NYC shortly after the 2002 Olympics and we drank and talked skating for hours. She said she rarely ran into anyone who wanted to talk figure skating.

Mathman

Record Breaker
It's funny how different people have different personalities when it comes to spontaneous interactions with fans. Some are happy to be recognized and are appreciative that fans still remember them with fondness.

Others, you get the feeling that you are just annoying them.

My all-time favorite figure skating encounter was with Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto back in the day.

No -- my very favorite was one time I had a long conversation with Jenny Kirk's sister off to the side while Jenny was holding court with the press. (Big Sis was chaperoning teenage Jenny on the skating circuit.)

Last edited: