Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia

So alarming.
But maybe they just move it to Tallin :p

Updated to reflect decision by the ISU on 2 Dec.

The ISU was informed by the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) that the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2021, scheduled to take place from December 9 – 12, 2021 in Osaka (JPN) cannot be held as planned.

Unfortunately, considering the complicated epidemic situation involving travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, safety concerns and logistical challenges, the organization of the event was extremely challenging. The Japan Skating Federation and the Local Organizing Committee tried their best to find solutions but ultimately concluded that, regrettably, they are unable to organize and hold the event as planned.

The ISU regrets that the hosting of the event is no longer possible in Osaka in December. The ISU will evaluate a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and will take a decision as soon as possible. The ISU thanks the Japan Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You know, for the past few days I have been thinking of figure skating whenever news of travel restrictions becasue of the Omicron varient came through. But, it was in relation to the competition that I was watching over the past few days. And particularly in relation to one skater.

The girl who finished third in Advanced Novice Ladies at the Open d'Andorra, Ella HAWKES, is from South Africa. And a lot of countries are putting South Africa on their travel red lists.

So, will Ella be able to get home? Or is she stuck in Europe for the foreseeable future?

YES!!! The Estonian competitions are always very well-run.

In all seriousness, I would say that the GP Final will end up being cancelled.

Going ahead with the Summer Olympics was not at all popular in Japan, so the powers that be will not want to make the same mistake with a figure skating event.

It is too late to arrange an alternative host for the planned dates. And it can't be arranged for later dates because this is an Olympic season and the calendar between now and the Olympics is already chock-a-block with all the National Championships, Euros, Four Continents and Senior B's.

Unless, of course, it is held towards the end of the season. But, who knows what may happen between now and then.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
And the month time limit covers also Japan Nationals... Rika and Satoko are in Ontario and the province is on the list of additional restrictions. Koshiro is in Switzerland, still outside the list, but it can be changed soon...

I think the OP article just mentions foreigners though? But their coaches won't be able to come for sure... :(
I hope a solution is found for GPF and JGPF :pray:

discode

Final Flight
Probably going to end up being canceled? Unless there's some special exemption for skaters. Not sure they can be rescheduled and they aren't that important in an Olympic season, where I'm sure everyone wants to stay healthy and not take risks. I'm not sure the logistics behind moving them to another country and visas and all that. Cup of China was cancelled well in advance, not a little over a week before skaters should start arriving.

Seems JSF has no idea what's going to happen either atm.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

So alarming.
Oh, that would be unfortunate, but understandable, if they cancel the final. I don’t know if there will be enough energy left to move it. They will probably prefer to focus on Eu/4CC and Olympics if they go ahead.

Country
Norway
Well i´m starting to doubting EC will happen at this point, but there is still time and maybe until then we have more data about Omicron and maybe it isn´t that bad. But either way, without the Omicron the situation has started to look very severe in Europe now and i´m not sure how long one could hold on with trying to normalize thing. Even in Norway hospitals are struggling now even though we have a high vaccinate rate. I really hope the vaccine has affect on Omicron on the severeness.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
JapanIce on FSU (aka journalist Jack Gallagher) thinks the final will go ahead as planned bc Japanese companies have too much invested for them to cancel it.
I'm thinking the same as far as the Winter Olympics and it's own sponsors. Unless the powers that be decide to reschedule the Winter Games like they did the 2020 Summer Olympics. Hopefully this thing will be in relative control by then and the Winter Olympics won't have to be canceled. 🤞

Vemvane

On the Ice
Well i´m starting to doubting EC will happen at this point, but there is still time and maybe until then we have more data about Omicron and maybe it isn´t that bad. But either way, without the Omicron the situation has started to look very severe in Europe now and i´m not sure how long one could hold on with trying to normalize thing. Even in Norway hospitals are struggling now even though we have a high vaccinate rate. I really hope the vaccine has affect on Omicron on the severeness.

An update on what we know about omicron's effects so far:

https://www.reuters.com/world/afric...n-variant-have-very-mild-symptoms-2021-11-28/

Would be unsurprised if the GPF goes ahead; would be unsurprised if it is canceled. At this point, with the identification and spread of a new variant, the situation changes from day to day.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm thinking the same as far as the Winter Olympics and it's own sponsors. Unless the powers that be decide to reschedule the Winter Games like they did the 2020 Summer Olympics. Hopefully this thing will be in relative control by then and the Winter Olympics won't have to be canceled. 🤞

I hope so too, but of course there are no guarantees. 🙁 Maybe some of our Japanese posters will weigh in, but I think Japan had only recently reduced restrictions, meaning that when they offered to host the GPF they must have been contemplating some kind of bubble/restrictions anyway. Whether that makes it more likely the GPF will go ahead now these new restrictions have been announced, I guess only time will tell.

Country
Norway
An update on what we know about omicron's effects so far:

https://www.reuters.com/world/afric...n-variant-have-very-mild-symptoms-2021-11-28/

Would be unsurprised if the GPF goes ahead; would be unsurprised if it is canceled. At this point, with the identification and spread of a new variant, the situation changes from day to day.
All though I want to believe what this doctor say is true, I would not rely on one doctors statement in a country where the President ask for countries to not close the borders to South-Africa. But hopefully soon we will have data from several countries so that we can confirm the doctors impression about Omicron.

Vemvane

On the Ice
All though I want to believe what this doctor say is true, I would not rely on one doctors statement in a country where the President ask for countries to not close the borders to South-Africa. But hopefully soon we will have data from several countries so that we can confirm the doctors impression about Omicron.
Yeah, obviously we need more information from affected patients around the world, but it currently sounds quite promising. South African medicine is very good, and the country has top-class virologists, and plenty of experience dealing with epidemics, so there's no reason to disbelieve the doctor's statement that currently, symptoms in the patients she has seen appear to be mild. Notably, and of concern for athletes, is the fact that people under 40 are apparently more susceptible to omicron, but that may also be due to the fact that South Africa only opened up vaccination for people under 50 a matter of months ago, so there is overlap between people under 40 and people who aren't vaccinated. So, on the one hand, omicron may not be as big a deal as it has been made out to be, but on the other hand, we should proceed with caution. However, the apparent mildness of the symptoms may play a rôle in how countries respond to restrictions etc and hosting international events over the next few weeks; and in the case of the GPF it may mean that the risk is considered low enough that the competition can still go ahead, in a bubble.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Will it ever be over or the world is destined to be stuck in the endless cycle of new waves & variants? By the way anyone knows why they 'skipped' so many letters in the Greek alphabet between Delta and Omicron?
Poor skaters, as worrying & disappointing it is for us it must be million times worse for them. Hoping against hope the Final will still go ahead :pray:

silveruskate

On the Ice
Will it ever be over or the world is destined to be stuck in the endless cycle of new waves & variants? By the way anyone knows why they 'skipped' so many letters in the Greek alphabet between Delta and Omicron?
Poor skaters, as worrying & disappointing it is for us it must be million times worse for them. Hoping against hope the Final will still go ahead :pray:
Nu because New and Xi because Xi Jinping

icetug

Medalist
By the way anyone knows why they 'skipped' so many letters in the Greek alphabet between Delta and Omicron?
Seems there were only two letters skipped:

The nomenclature of the successive variants of the coronavirus was taken from the Greek alphabet to facilitate following the pathogen's evolution in a systematic way. Hence the names of the variants are successively Alpha, Beta, Gamma or Delta.

The last coronavirus strain discovered was the Mu variant. For this reason, it seemed logical that the most recent variant B.1.1.529 discovered in Africa would be called the Nu variant. This is also how it was initially described by the media. So why ultimately it turned out that we are dealing with the Omikron variant? Certain formal issues stood in the way of their use. As reported by the representative of the World Health Organization, Tarik Jasarevic, the term Nu could have too much connotation with the English "new". Meanwhile, the next letter, Xi, is a common Chinese surname, among others of the current chairman of the People's Republic of China - Xi Jinping.

Last edited: