Downgrading blades | Golden Skate

Downgrading blades

VilmaK

Spectator
Hi all,
I’m hoping someone here will have some insight into how changing to a lower level blade would potentially affect my skating. I’m a returning adult skater, I have my old Pattern99s left over from my active skating days but now I need to buy new boots and blades. I’m really reluctant to spend the $$$ on new P99s because my current skating level wouldn’t normally warrant such a high level blade but unsure how I’d go going back to Coronation Ace for example. Should I just splurge on the P99s as that’s what I’m used to or can anyone recommend something cheaper that might work? I used to have all my double combos and 2A but no more, I’ll be happy if I can get my single axel and a couple of doubles back. Pretty much have my heart set on RF3 Pros for boots as I’ve always had Risports.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I asked your question to an AI language model, it said:

Yes, there are other figure skating blades that are similar to the John Wilson Pattern 99 in terms of design and performance. Some examples include:

1. MK Phantom: The MK Phantom is a popular blade among high-level skaters and is known for its stability and control. It features a parallel-sided blade design with a cross-cut toe pick, similar to the Pattern 99.
  2. Ultima Elite: The Ultima Elite is another high-quality blade that is similar in design to the Pattern 99. It has a parallel-sided blade with a slightly shorter tail and a cross-cut toe pick.
  3. Paramount 1085: The Paramount 1085 is a blade that is often used by elite-level pairs skaters. It features a parallel-sided blade design with a cross-cut toe pick and is known for its exceptional durability and performance.
Ultimately, the best blade for a particular skater will depend on their individual needs, preferences, and skill level. Skaters should work with their coaches and blade technicians to determine which blade is right for them.

Do you have any personal experience to offer the OP, other than using a ChatBot? :)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I am also a recently returned adult skater, although I was only doing single jumps/axel when I quit. How long have you been away from skating? And what’s your goal? If you’re just hoping to casually skate for fun, I wouldn’t spend the money on the P99s. I am on old Legacy 8s a s am planning to switch to CA when I buy new skates this summer, if that helps. I’ve also noticed that after so many years off the ice, my old skates don’t fit the same, so I imagine there will be quite the curve for the first few days I am in my new skates!

VilmaK

Spectator
I am also a recently returned adult skater, although I was only doing single jumps/axel when I quit. How long have you been away from skating? And what’s your goal? If you’re just hoping to casually skate for fun, I wouldn’t spend the money on the P99s. I am on old Legacy 8s a s am planning to switch to CA when I buy new skates this summer, if that helps. I’ve also noticed that after so many years off the ice, my old skates don’t fit the same, so I imagine there will be quite the curve for the first few days I am in my new skates!
I have been away from active skating for about 20 years! In that time I had a few episodes where I skated a few times but have not been on the ice at all for about 5 years until 2 months ago. At first I was thinking to just skate for fun haha but now I’m getting a bit more keen and thinking I might like to do some competitions as well. But I can only skate about twice a week so I don’t have super ambitious goals. So for my level I definitely wouldn’t need P99s, it’s just more about not wanting to go to another blade with a completely different feel. My coach said she tried to downgrade after her active career but had to go back to her advanced blades. So she thinks I might not be ok with CA but that financially it’s obviously better.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have been away from active skating for about 20 years! In that time I had a few episodes where I skated a few times but have not been on the ice at all for about 5 years until 2 months ago. At first I was thinking to just skate for fun haha but now I’m getting a bit more keen and thinking I might like to do some competitions as well. But I can only skate about twice a week so I don’t have super ambitious goals. So for my level I definitely wouldn’t need P99s, it’s just more about not wanting to go to another blade with a completely different feel. My coach said she tried to downgrade after her active career but had to go back to her advanced blades. So she thinks I might not be ok with CA but that financially it’s obviously better.
Ooh, I feel this. I stopped training 17/18 years ago, and hadn’t been on the ice in nearly 11 years when I got back into it last fall. Not sure if I want to compete but I miss programs and performing.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I hear there is an extreme shortage of Coronation Aces, depends on your size though. Even with that, honestly I would just get P99s again.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I asked your question to an AI language model, it said:

Yes, there are other figure skating blades that are similar to the John Wilson Pattern 99 in terms of design and performance. Some examples include:

1. MK Phantom: The MK Phantom is a popular blade among high-level skaters and is known for its stability and control. It features a parallel-sided blade design with a cross-cut toe pick, similar to the Pattern 99.
  2. Ultima Elite: The Ultima Elite is another high-quality blade that is similar in design to the Pattern 99. It has a parallel-sided blade with a slightly shorter tail and a cross-cut toe pick.
  3. Paramount 1085: The Paramount 1085 is a blade that is often used by elite-level pairs skaters. It features a parallel-sided blade design with a cross-cut toe pick and is known for its exceptional durability and performance.
Ultimately, the best blade for a particular skater will depend on their individual needs, preferences, and skill level. Skaters should work with their coaches and blade technicians to determine which blade is right for them.
Please stop using chat bots, someone taking this advice without knowing any better is going to get seriously injured.
Let the many here that have the experience help those asking questions.
For instance, none of the blades the "chat bot" suggested are fitting for what the OP is asking for. MK Phantom is equal level to Pattern 99, so that's NOT a downgrade by any means.
The other two blades are not ones that should even be considered by OP.

@VilmaK Your best bets if you want to go down a level of blades is Coronation Ace or MK Pro. You could also try one of the Matrix, but with those you have to make sure the tech that sharpens your blades knows what they are doing with those and has the special jig required. Good luck! :)

VilmaK

Spectator
I hear there is an extreme shortage of Coronation Aces, depends on your size though. Even with that, honestly I would just get P99s again.
The shop I’m looking at seems to have stock so all good in that regard, but I’m starting to think I’m better off just spending the money onP99 so I don’t have to relearn everything

VilmaK

Spectator
Please stop using chat bots, someone taking this advice without knowing any better is going to get seriously injured.
Let the many here that have the experience help those asking questions.
For instance, none of the blades the "chat bot" suggested are fitting for what the OP is asking for. MK Phantom is equal level to Pattern 99, so that's NOT a downgrade by any means.
The other two blades are not ones that should even be considered by OP.

@VilmaK Your best bets if you want to go down a level of blades is Coronation Ace or MK Pro. You could also try one of the Matrix, but with those you have to make sure the tech that sharpens your blades knows what they are doing with those and has the special jig required. Good luck! :)
Thank you, I would not trust the local skate tech with any special blades haha, best to stick with the more common ones! I had CAs before I got the P99 but I am hesitant to go back to a 7ft rocker as I do enjoy a bit of a flatter blade. On the other hand I’m struggling a bit with my spins and half thinking whether CA might help with this? I think I’m starting to lean more towards P99s after all, firstly because the new blades will already be more curved than my old worn down ones and secondly I don’t want to get CA just to find out I hate them and then have to go back and buy P99 anyway …🤷‍♀️

VilmaK

Spectator
Ooh, I feel this. I stopped training 17/18 years ago, and hadn’t been on the ice in nearly 11 years when I got back into it last fall. Not sure if I want to compete but I miss programs and performing.
I’m also looking forward to having a program again! It sort of gives you a focus and something to work on. I wish I could keep my old skates to save the hassle of breaking in new equipment but they’re no good anymore :(

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you, I would not trust the local skate tech with any special blades haha, best to stick with the more common ones! I had CAs before I got the P99 but I am hesitant to go back to a 7ft rocker as I do enjoy a bit of a flatter blade. On the other hand I’m struggling a bit with my spins and half thinking whether CA might help with this? I think I’m starting to lean more towards P99s after all, firstly because the new blades will already be more curved than my old worn down ones and secondly I don’t want to get CA just to find out I hate them and then have to go back and buy P99 anyway …🤷‍♀️
If P99 is what you are used to and would feel most comfortable on, then by all means get them. That is what I've worn for decades LOL!

VilmaK

Spectator
If P99 is what you are used to and would feel most comfortable on, then by all means get them. That is what I've worn for decades LOL!
That’s what I’ll probably end up doing now, I just had my hopes up someone here would convince me it’s ok to get CA haha, but what’s $300 in the world of figure skating 🙄

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd stick with the P99s. The problem I found with lower level blades was the slowness. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but whether you actually want to is another matter...

VilmaK

Spectator
I'd stick with the P99s. The problem I found with lower level blades was the slowness. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but whether you actually want to is another matter...
That’s useful to know, I probably don’t want to because I like to skate fast haha

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s what I’ll probably end up doing now, I just had my hopes up someone here would convince me it’s ok to get CA haha, but what’s $300 in the world of figure skating 🙄
Like I said in my first post to you upthread, you would be fine going down to CA or MK Pro.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I’m also looking forward to having a program again! It sort of gives you a focus and something to work on. I wish I could keep my old skates to save the hassle of breaking in new equipment but they’re no good anymore :(
Mine were ok for this winter, but I am planning to replace them in the next few months. They were ok to start, but won’t last much longer.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
This is very interesting. Can you explain what you mean with slowness?
Lower level blades tend to run slower. Less distance for push. Edea Rotation are possibly the slowest figure skating blades on the planet, MK Dance the fastest.

I swapped skates with one of my skaters a few years ago. She had been in Overtures with Rotation blades and switched up to my Grafs with MK Phantoms. She had no problems with the toe pick (I taught her well) but could not believe the slickness of the blades. I stepped onto the ice in her boots, felt the stickiness of the Rotations and pretty much just got off again. Her next blades were Coronation Ace and she was a happy bunny.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello! I do agree with @Ic3Rabbit that if you did want to downgrade then Coronation Ace or MK Pro would be the best bet. You could also go with a Jackson Legacy or Protégé. Even still, unless you're in the mood for learning a new blade, if you have the money to treat yourself to a P99 and it's what you're most comfortable with then I would say stick to what you know. :)