Dutch Figure Skating 2021-2022 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating 2021-2022

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dutch representation at Finlandia Trophy (Oct 7-10)

I am pleased to note that their will be 5 Dutch skaters at Finlandia trophy.

In the Women's discipline Lindsay van Zundert will show her skills. Like at Lombardia there is a big field (29 skaters as of today).

In the Pairs discipline there are 2 Dutch couples registered, but a mistake has been made. Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen are an ID couple, not a Pair. I presume their names will be transferred to the ID discipline list. In that case there will be 17 pairs. Nika Osipova and Dmitry Epstein will represent the Netherlands.

There are currently 20 ID couples registered, but I expect that to become 21 once Chelsea and Sherim will be transferred to this list.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
In the Pairs discipline there are 2 Dutch couples registered, but a mistake has been made. Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen are an ID couple, not a Pair.
Chelsea and Sherim are already removed from the pairs list without being added to the ice-dance one.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thanks @gordana. What a pity. They often train in Finland, so I had really expected them to be here. They will be at Nebelhorn at least.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A small note: Dani Loonstra is currently in 12th place (after the SP) at Krasnojarsk JGP. Well done!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dani Loonstra managed to maintain her 12th place at Krasnojarsk, although she was 13th in the FS. Funnily, she was not so satisfied by her FS, but her coach was (https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...behoudt-twaalfde-plaats-op-junior-grand-prix/ ). As it happens there is one more event where a young Dutch woman can skate at the JGP: in Linz. Of the three Dutch women taking part, it was decided that the one that had the best results at their JGP, would get a second assignment. It turns out to be Dani, as she scored the highest in points (I believe all women ended around 12th place). Good luck to her!

Edit: I got that wrong. It turned out to be Julia van Dijk. Good luck to her in Linz!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
To my great joy, Chelsea and Sherim are back on the list for Finlandia, now in the right category: Ice Dance!

More recentely an article about their troubles with finding the right music for the rhythm dance (in their own words: we're not really hiphop and streetdance skaters) was published on the Dutch website with skating news. However, they are now into full swing and looking forward to their first competition of the season at Nebelhorn. It's a longshot for them to qualify for the OWG, but they will be pleased if they improve further.
Source (in Dutch): https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/2021/september/ijsdansduo-heeft-ritme-van-streetdance-al-te-pakken/.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
To my great regret I wasn't able to watch the Pairs SP at Nebelhorn (taking place during working hours), although I did manage to read some of the comments in the competition thread. Daria and Michel did not do too badly. They are currently in 8th place. Having said that, they are in 6th place with regard to the couples aiming for qualification at the OWG 2022, and the distance between the couple right in front of them is very small. While the distance with the next one can be overcome if they have a good skate tomorrow. The distance between the nrs. one,. two and three of the qualifiers probably is too big, but even so I think they are having a good try. Good luck tomorrow at the FS.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Watched the Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs SP, and my position remains the same although I am even more proud of Daria and Michel than before. They've got connection, they're mates! Less easy to put into points, but definitely makes a programme more pleasing to watch. I hope they do well in the FS (whether they get the qualification or not).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Daria and Michel did not really have 'their day' in the FS, and dropped one placement to end as 9th. Nothing to be ashamed of, nobody had expected them to qualify an Olympic spot, but of course their closeness to the numbers 4 and 5 on the qualifier list did bring hopes up a bit. I still think they have improved a lot since Worlds, and will continue to grow.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
When we may see Nikky Worries skating this season?
I wish I knew. She has stated to want to try and be the one going to the Olympics, but so far it's only her rival (Lindsay van Zundert) who captured the OG spot for The Netherlands at Worlds last year who is actually competing. And therefore the woman to fill the spot she 'won' in the first place. I haven't seen Niki anywhere yet as an entree at a Challenger or senior B. She will need to fulfill certain requirements in points but they are doable. I believe she has to achieve app. 185 points twice at a competition chosen by the National Skating Federation to surpass Lindsay on getting to compete at the Olympics. I hope she will give it a go, but until now I have not seen her registered anywhere as an entrant.

• Sad
Reactions: ana

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Chelsea and Sherim had a bit of a let down at Nebelhorn. They got low scores for the RD (lower than expected), and had some problems with the FD. Not that they had expected anything with regard to the OWG. But they had hoped to leave more than one other couple behind them. I'm sure they will be in full training mode in Finland now.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
An almost complete Dutch team at Finlandia:

Women: Lindsay van Zundert
Pair: Nika Osipova/Dmitry Epstein
Dance: Chelsea Verhaegh/Sherim van Geffen

And another Dutch woman at the Denis Ten Memorial: Niki Wories.

There aren't any men (sorry Thomas of you're still competing but I don't think so) but there's still an ID team missing. What's happened to Hannah Jakucs and Alessio Galli? They were so happy a year ago to be able to represent The Netherlands. But..since Hannah got Covid, we haven't heard anything from them. Worrying, I hope she healed. I would love to see them again. I like a bit of rivalry. No OWG for either of the two teams (but that wasn't expected) but still. There's a whole new Quad coming up soon.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Olympic Games judges talk
There will be judges from the Netherlands in the judging panels in the Women's and the Pairs event. The team event will also have Dutch judges in the Pairs and in the Women. As yet it is not yet known who are going.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It is with great joy on my side to be able to tell all of you that Hanna Jakucs and Alessio Galli will be competing at the Mezzaluna cup (15-17 October). This means that the whole senior Dutch team is back in business this season.

Lindsay van Zundert already competed at Lombardia (7th).
Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba competed at Lombardia and at Nebelhorn (resp. 8th and 9th).
Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen also competed at Nebelhorn (19th).

Coming up:
Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen, Nika Osipova and Dmitry Epstein as well as Lindsay van Zundert are at Finlandia.
Niki Wories will compete at the Denis Ten Memorial.
Hanna Jakucs and Alessio Galli are set for Mezzaluna

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
SP at Finlandia: Nika and Dmitry didn't do so badly (although they are 12th out of 15). It is their first outing of the season, and they only had one outing during last season). I hope they improve in the FS. That was their achilles heel last season (in that one outing) as they kind of 'lost each other'. Also, it's pretty obvious Nika is the better skater (even if she didn't land the throw), and they should build on that.

Still, nice programme, and they ended just below Annika Hocke and Robert Kunkel which is not a shame at all. Continue!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Next report from Finlandia
Nika and Dmitry had a rather disastrous FS and ended up being last (15th). This is what I wrote about their skate in the Competition thread:

That was a bit heartbreaking...Nika and Dmitry did not skate well. Two falls, a botched lift, and a programme that could be beautiful but doesn't really fit them. A pity.

I hope this bad result and bad skate doesn't knock them down, and that they continue skating together. They looked so promising at Challenge Cup last season. I'm sure they'll be able to improve on this.

Edit: I just posted an article in their FanFest with some background, and Dmitry was still recovering from Lung-Covid. They definitely are not knocked down by the results, and we can hope to see them again at NRW trophy in November.

Last edited: