Edea 'e-guard' vs. Rockerz | Golden Skate

Edea 'e-guard' vs. Rockerz

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi! I've been seeing the new Edea guards get a good amount of spotlight lately, and many of my fellow skaters at the rink seem to have switched to them. I'm still using my trusty old Rockerz, but has anyone noticed a great difference? I'm interested if anyone has experience with the e-guards. Are they worth purchasing? Are they any better?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've been wondering that. I need new guards but don't know whether to go with the new Edea ones or not. I'm not a fan of Edea generally but I like the idea of not having to cut guards to size and then they're useless when I change blades again...

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater switched from Rockerz (which we'd been using for years - I still have them) to the E-guards. The biggest advantage I can see is that the E-guards allow for some condensation to run off the blade while the guard is on. In theory, you shouldn't have your guards on that long anyway, so the benefit may be ultimately be trivial. Also, the guards don't need to be cut to fit, so they will fit a wide range of blade sizes - handy if you want to pass along to a sibling, etc.. My skater likes them, but hard to know if that is because there is a practical difference or because they are "new and cool".

They are very, very expensive though. The "ombre" colors are even pricier than the solid colors. I only let my skater get the solid color as I couldn't justify the significant upcharge for the ombre. Personally, I am OK keeping my Rockerz and have no problem with them, but then I don't train 6 days/week and have to sit out 10 minute floods on back-to-back sessions from time to time.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater just dropped by my computer to inform me that they are lighter than Rockerz (maybe that's a "benefit" to some) and they are more flexible, which apparently may be more convenient when you are stuffing them in your skate bag.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Never heard of nor seen these so I looked them up. Wow, what a leap forward in guard technology! I may buy a pair even tho they are pricey.

Modus_vivendi

Spectator
I've got the e-guards, an impulse purchase simply cause I was fed up with having to cut the guards (which I seem to struggle with...). According to Edea, they should fit blade sizes between 8.75-11 but they're actually slightly too big for the 8.75s so have accidentally walked out of one, with resulting damage to the blade... So wouldn't really recommend them to anyone with a blade size less than 9 or 9.25. Other than that they're pretty neat. Very quiet when walking.

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Been wondering about these as well and love the look. But worried that it may be too soft. I tap the tail quite harshly when I wear my skates to get heel lock. Or probably just a habit. Do you guys think that it can handle a bit of a pounding?

Elija

On the Ice
Been wondering about these as well and love the look. But worried that it may be too soft. I tap the tail quite harshly when I wear my skates to get heel lock. Or probably just a habit. Do you guys think that it can handle a bit of a pounding?
They should be fine - I do this too and actually find the e-guards thicker in the back/front than my old ones (I only had cheap plastic ones before, not rockerz).

Have had the e-guards a few weeks now and am really liking them. They feel much sturdier for walking around in. I have 9” blades and they fit well, although you do have to pull a bit harder than with guards with a spring. I imagine people with bigger feet might find this more of an issue than me since my blades are on the small end of range they supposedly fit.

In terms of cost, I actually found the plain ones to be about $10 cheaper than rockerz. You buy them individually too, so can choose two different colours. The ombré ones are beautiful but definitely pricey.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In terms of cost, I actually found the plain ones to be about $10 cheaper than rockerz. You buy them individually too, so can choose two different colours. The ombré ones are beautiful but definitely pricey.

You buy them individually? So the $69 for the ombre I'm looking at is only for one guard???

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Wait wait wait--you have to purchase each guard on their own? They don't come sold as a pair? I spend a good amount of time at the rink in between coaching/training so I'm thinking these might be a good investment for me (and I'm glad to see those of you who have tried them like them!!), but if both guards cost $39 each, that is a bit steep lol.

Modus_vivendi

Spectator
Wait wait wait--you have to purchase each guard on their own? They don't come sold as a pair? I spend a good amount of time at the rink in between coaching/training so I'm thinking these might be a good investment for me (and I'm glad to see those of you who have tried them like them!!), but if both guards cost $39 each, that is a bit steep lol.
Sounds odd to me, mine were about $40 for a pair (plain, not ombré).

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@sashavis - I have posted the price question on Amazon as it's unclear to me. I'll reply back when I get an answer but someone here will likely respond quicker.

Edited: The answers I received from Amazon purchasers said that the price is for a PAIR.

Last edited:

Elija

On the Ice
@sashavis - I have posted the price question on Amazon as it's unclear to me. I'll reply back when I get an answer but someone here will likely respond quicker.

Edited: The answers I received from Amazon purchasers said that the price is for a PAIR.
I think it depends where you buy them. The ombré and other special colour ones come as a pair. But the plain ones (where I bought them from anyway) were sold individually so you could mix and match colours. In USD they would have been about $14 each, so less than $30 for a pair, which is less than rockerz.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
The retailer most of us go to here is selling them for C$57.98 for the "plain" colors and C$89.98 for the sparkle and ombre colors. I could not justify more than C$30 extra dollars on the ombre in a time where we are cutting costs, although they are beautiful and would have been something I'd consider for birthday/holiday gift if the timing had coincided. I think this retailer pretty much has a monopoly on the local market in the Toronto area, but it may be cheaper in the US and there may be less price difference between the two in the US. The Rockerz are sold for C$24.99 each (about $50 total for a pair) at the same retailer. I guess not a huge difference between the Rockerz and the plain e-Guards, but then I considered the Rockerz to be expensive to begin with when you can get regular skate guards for about 15 bucks.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think it depends where you buy them. The ombré and other special colour ones come as a pair. But the plain ones (where I bought them from anyway) were sold individually so you could mix and match colours. In USD they would have been about $14 each, so less than $30 for a pair, which is less than rockerz.
I got my ombre ones as a set for 39 dollars. The single coloured ones were cheaper.