Edea 'e-guard' vs. Rockerz | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Edea 'e-guard' vs. Rockerz

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
The retailer most of us go to here is selling them for C$57.98 for the "plain" colors and C$89.98 for the sparkle and ombre colors. I could not justify more than C$30 extra dollars on the ombre in a time where we are cutting costs, although they are beautiful and would have been something I'd consider for birthday/holiday gift if the timing had coincided. I think this retailer pretty much has a monopoly on the local market in the Toronto area, but it may be cheaper in the US and there may be less price difference between the two in the US. The Rockerz are sold for C$24.99 each (about $50 total for a pair) at the same retailer. I guess not a huge difference between the Rockerz and the plain e-Guards, but then I considered the Rockerz to be expensive to begin with when you can get regular skate guards for about 15 bucks.
I know what store you’re talking about. 🤣 not sure when they’ll have a sale but when they do that’s when I’ll buy the ombre ones.

Elija

On the Ice
Huge difference here too depending on colours. The rainbow ones are $80, ombré are about $70 and plain are only $42 (all in NZD).

Arwen17

Final Flight
I think they need to lower their prices a little and give us more color options like Rockerz has, but other than that, I like them. The benefit of not having to have new guards cut for each blade change is nice.
My blades are 10" so that is very close to the upper limit that e-guards support. I had to really make an effort to get them to stretch enough to fit on the blades, but I think they will stretch out over time and it will get easier.

christy

On the Ice
I'm interested to know if anyone has used them on Matrix blades? I tried the Rockerz and they scratched the Matrix blades really badly so I'm worried that the Edea ones will do the same, or they won't be wide enough to stay on.

christy

On the Ice
The retailer most of us go to here is selling them for C$57.98 for the "plain" colors and C$89.98 for the sparkle and ombre colors. I could not justify more than C$30 extra dollars on the ombre in a time where we are cutting costs, although they are beautiful and would have been something I'd consider for birthday/holiday gift if the timing had coincided. I think this retailer pretty much has a monopoly on the local market in the Toronto area, but it may be cheaper in the US and there may be less price difference between the two in the US. The Rockerz are sold for C$24.99 each (about $50 total for a pair) at the same retailer. I guess not a huge difference between the Rockerz and the plain e-Guards, but then I considered the Rockerz to be expensive to begin with when you can get regular skate guards for about 15 bucks.
Those Canadian prices are just ridiculous. It's just two bits of moulded plastic, so no way is $90 justifiable. That's several hours of ice or a couple of lessons.

Elija

On the Ice
I'm interested to know if anyone has used them on Matrix blades? I tried the Rockerz and they scratched the Matrix blades really badly so I'm worried that the Edea ones will do the same, or they won't be wide enough to stay on.
They’re really soft, so can’t imagine they would scratch anything. They’re bendy and rubbery if that makes sense, not hard plastic like most other guards.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's odd about the Rockerz, I used to have Matrix blades and never had a problem with mine with those. Anyway, the Edea ones should be fine with them, they're softer more pliable material.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
My daughter uses them on Matrix blades. She has no problem with scratching. Her blades are on the larger side of the range and they did seem to stretch so that they are easier to take on and off. She likes that the ice drains from the blade and it’s easier to dry them. My reasoning for getting them for her was the way the blade rests inside. Supposedly the edges don’t rest on the guard an a small center portion supports the blade within the hollow. Hopefully preserving the edges. She needed them when she got new blades and boots, and not having to cut guards was very appealing. Lol.

Arwen17

Final Flight

Yeah, the rockerz scratched (rubbed) my matrix blades color off as well. I've switched to Gold Seal blades now when I changed to the e-guards so I can't guarantee they won't rub the matrix blades, but I don't think they will. E-guards are very soft, much softer than the Rockerz' hard plastic, so they have a greater chance of not rubbing the color off the matrix blades.

Loopyloop

Spectator
I just received my pair of e-guards this week....ordered them from a pro shop in Sydney (Aus) as there is no one in Perth stocking them at present. I got the pink/fuscia ombré ones - cost $70 (AUS) for the pair. (that doesn’t include shipping). I absolutely love them....for me, I feel more secure when walking in them. And to be honest, I did buy them coz they’re new and cool.....and let’s face it - the pink/purple is pretty 😁......

Arwen17

Final Flight
I got the pink/purple too, but I wish I could have gotten blue/purple. I don't care for pink. Release more color options, Edea!

Also, watch out! I did the infamous step-onto-the-ice-in-your-skate-guards and fell hard onto my hip and have a massive bruise now, even through my pads. The e-guards are so much lighter in weight compared to Rockerz that I forgot I was wearing them! whoops!