Edea pianos for a beginner skater? | Golden Skate

Edea pianos for a beginner skater?

sofiaskates101

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new skater weighing 60kgs (132lbs) and I'm working on singles (already have sal, toeloop and waltz). I'm considering switching to edea pianos, as they look so cool; and, I want a pair of skates that would last a long, long time. I currently skate in edea overtures.

I've heard you can't overboot in edea, because all the bend comes from the tounge, however, I don't know whether it's a good option for me. BUT, I really really really really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY want them.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks in advance :>

Elija

On the Ice
No, no, no. Don’t buy skates just because of how they look. Get fitted and get the right boot for you. May or may not be edea. I wouldn’t get any higher than chorus for now if you choose to stay with edea. While it is harder to overboot with edea than other brands, it is definitely not impossible, and you will likely find it hard to bend and have them hinder your skating. Also, skates are not meant to last a really long time as you seem to want - if they are lasting years on end, they’re likely too stiff.

Friday

Rinkside
Hi everyone,

I'm a (relatively) new skater weighing 60kgs (132lbs) and I'm working on singles (already have sal, toeloop and waltz). I'm considering switching to edea pianos, as they look so cool; and, I want a pair of skates that would last a long, long time. I currently skate in edea overtures.

I've heard you can't overboot in edea, because all the bend comes from the tounge, however, I don't know whether it's a good option for me. BUT, I really really really really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY want them.

Any thoughts or tips?

Realistically speaking, skaters who wear pianos jump higher triples, quads.
So you will probably never NEVER need that stiffness.
Furthermore, you should never buy boots for their look. Newbies do that.
You as someone who jumps already singles should know that the interior is far more important the the exterior of a boot.
In the end it's your decision, but please know: you can definetly overboot in Edea (as easily as in other boots) and boots aren't meant to last a long, long time.

So maybe rethink what you want, and if you don't desire healthy, pain free feet and ankles more.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,

<<Any thoughts or tips?>>

<<Emphasis added>> Buy them. Put them in a display case on your nightstand, where you can admire them. But get fitted for a proper pair of boots to skate in.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts or tips?

Yeah, the not over booting is a myth. Have a kid at our rink with doubles through 2Lz going through shin splints and ankle issues from being over booted in Edeas. You don't even have a loop yet, much less working on Axel/double jumps. Pianos are rated for triples and quads. You will regret it as it *WILL* and truly hinder your progress, no matter how cool you think they look. (Personally, they look like clown shoes to me, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the look of skates other than the color)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If you’re interested in boots that have a bit more flair than traditional boots, there are a lot of great options from all the manufacturers that would be more appropriate for your level - e.g. the Jackson Synergy Elite, the Reidell Vega, the Risport RF3 Pro or Royal Pro. I can’t say for sure how well any one of these boots would work for you - a fitter would be able to help with that - but they’re all lightweight boots with more modern styling that may suit your taste without being overly stiff and extremely expensive like the Pianos would be for you at this stage.

Then you can put the money you saved towards the blades!! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No. You don't now or probably EVER need Pianos. We don't buy skates b/c they look "So cool!"
Others have said most of what I usually advise, but have you ever had a proper skate fitting with a professional figure skating fitter?!
If not, get to one ASAP and they will let you know what boots and brands work w/ your feet and needs on the ice at this time, so that you have the appropriate boots/blades to train for as long as you wish instead of crippling yourself from the get go.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Edea Pianos don't look the least bit cool on people who aren't jumping higher triples and quads. If you want to hinder your progress in skating, buy and wear them. If you want to actually skate to your best ability, get properly fitted for the right make, model and level of boot.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Edea Pianos don't look the least bit cool on people who aren't jumping higher triples and quads. If you want to hinder your progress in skating, buy and wear them. If you want to actually skate to your best ability, get properly fitted for the right make, model and level of boot.
When I see people wearing Pianos and can’t even do basic edges and step sequences it’s like WHYYYYY?? I’ve even seen people buy Pianos after being in an entry level boot but could even bend their knees/ankles in rec skates. I just don’t understand why people get high level boots that will actually hinder their progress.

sofiaskates101

Spectator
No. You don't now or probably EVER need Pianos. We don't buy skates b/c they look "So cool!"
Others have said most of what I usually advise, but have you ever had a proper skate fitting with a professional figure skating fitter?!
If not, get to one ASAP and they will let you know what boots and brands work w/ your feet and needs on the ice at this time, so that you have the appropriate boots/blades to train for as long as you wish instead of crippling yourself from the get go.

Good luck!
I went to a proper skate shop to get fitted for overtures, but I really want pianos... They're so cool

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I went to a proper skate shop to get fitted for overtures, but I really want pianos... They're so cool
Really? Where did you go? We could tell you if it's reputable or not.
You don't need pianos b/c they'll injure you at this point.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts or tips?

I started in Edea Concerto. I went to the only official Edea dealer and professional figure skates fitter in this country (Ice Space in Higashi Kanagawa Station, Yokohama, Japan) to get fitted and since I was previously a skier, she recommended that I get Edea Concerto. She won't recommend anything less for someone who's an athlete in another sport (I'm 163 cm, 51 kg) and used to footwear with lots of stiffness and ankle support. I went through those Concerto really, really quickly.
I continue with Edea Concerto but thinking of upgrading soon to either Ice Flys or Piano, per my coaches and skates fitter's recommendation since they're my source to go when I want guidance on equipment because they know me best.

I think it's hard to judge your situation by only an online post, so I think you should speak to your coaches, ask for their recommendations, go visit your local official Edea dealer and talk to him/her, and then make a decision.

I don't think that boots can last a really, long, long, long time unless you are a recreational skater who only goes skating once in a while, but if you're going to practice everyday, coach private sessions + group sessions etc etc they won't last a long, long, long time. Again, I think your coaches + fitters are the best qualified to recommend skates since they work with you and know you best. You should share with them you'd love to get the Pianos and ask them what they think.

I also think they're VERY, VERY cool and beautiful but when the time comes to upgrade my Concertos, I'll try on the Ice Flys and the Pianos and ask my coaches and fitter what they think it's best. If they say it's the Ice Flys (one of my coaches said it shoudl be my next upgrade but that was a while ago) then I will comply and buy the Ice Flys.... but I might just get the Pianos too, even if it's just to look at them at home, away from the rink :D

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I started in Edea Concerto. I went to the only official Edea dealer and professional figure skates fitter in this country (Ice Space in Higashi Kanagawa Station, Yokohama, Japan) to get fitted and since I was previously a skier, she recommended that I get Edea Concerto. She won't recommend anything less for someone who's an athlete in another sport (I'm 163 cm, 51 kg) and used to footwear with lots of stiffness and ankle support. I went through those Concerto really, really quickly.
I continue with Edea Concerto but thinking of upgrading soon to either Ice Flys or Piano, per my coaches and skates fitter's recommendation since they're my source to go when I want guidance on equipment because they know me best.

I think it's hard to judge your situation by only an online post, so I think you should speak to your coaches, ask for their recommendations, go visit your local official Edea dealer and talk to him/her, and then make a decision.

I don't think that boots can last a really, long, long, long time unless you are a recreational skater who only goes skating once in a while, but if you're going to practice everyday, coach private sessions + group sessions etc etc they won't last a long, long, long time. Again, I think your coaches + fitters are the best qualified to recommend skates since they work with you and know you best. You should share with them you'd love to get the Pianos and ask them what they think.

I also think they're VERY, VERY cool and beautiful but when the time comes to upgrade my Concertos, I'll try on the Ice Flys and the Pianos and ask my coaches and fitter what they think it's best. If they say it's the Ice Flys (one of my coaches said it shoudl be my next upgrade but that was a while ago) then I will comply and buy the Ice Flys.... but I might just get the Pianos too, even if it's just to look at them at home, away from the rink :D
No no, this is how people get the wrong skates and get hurt.
She stated her stats and that she's doing singles. She does NOT need Pianos that people doing Quads at the most elite level of the sport wear. Also, many coaches have not a clue what they are talking about when it comes to suggesting proper skates to their skaters especially at the lower levels of the sport.
There are some exceptions to the rule with boot fittings but she does not have any of those needs to fill that exception.

christy

On the Ice
Seriously, take the advice of the skaters on here who are saying you'd be massively overbooted, and could end up injured. If you only want them for the aesthetic, and can afford it, then buy a pair and pop them on display so you can look at them. Face it, if you wear them to skate in they will get scratched and dinged, and won't look as pretty!!

Elija

On the Ice
Seriously, take the advice of the skaters on here who are saying you'd be massively overbooted, and could end up injured. If you only want them for the aesthetic, and can afford it, then buy a pair and pop them on display so you can look at them. Face it, if you wear them to skate in they will get scratched and dinged, and won't look as pretty!!
Haha yes that too - if you want them to stay pretty they won’t. Because of the mesh, edeas get gross pretty quick unfortunately. I just got new boots and my old ones (which were pianos) look almost brown in comparison 😂

Mimi2789

Rinkside
At my usual rink mostly everyone goes to a super old school and highly respected fitter who won't put someone in an Ice Fly or Piano unless they're kids working on triples or older teens/adults working on at least advanced doubles. And even then he will refuse to put skaters in any Edea period if they have an incompatible foot. It's very uncommon to see a skater on a freestyle session in an Edea, let alone an Ice Fly or Piano. I skate at another rink a couple times a month though, and the fitter that everyone uses there puts everyone in Ice Flies and Pianos. There are literally ~110lb adult beginners working on three turns and forwards edges in Ice Flies with revs, and teens in Pianos learning half flips. It looks ridiculous and is honestly somewhat embarrassing! I understand that there are some situations where larger beginner adult skaters may be appropriately booted in Pianos, but it doesn't sound like that's you. There is really nothing "cool" about buying an over-priced, inappropriately advanced boot for the aesthetics. Not to mention you will probably hate wearing them because they will be hideously stiff and uncomfortable for you!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
if you have the money to shell out on Pianos, you probably have the money to work with a boot brand to custom make you a pair of skates that look similar to the Pianos but are more appropriate for your level.
This. ^^^^

Or honestly, buy the skates the fit your level and spend that money on lessons and ice time to get better. Or buy the pianos and also save up for the physical therapy you're going to need because you're most likely going to wreck yourself.

I get it, it SUCKS when you see a pair of shoes that look super cool but aren't a good fit for you. I too, think pianos (especially with rhinestones) look amazing. But Edeas aren't a good fit for my feet, so it's never going to happen.