Ekaterina Ryabova leaves Plushenko | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Ryabova leaves Plushenko

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I was no longer satisfied with the training conditions at the Plushenko Academy"

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
"I was no longer satisfied with the training conditions at the Plushenko Academy"

I don't know who Ryabova is and I don't read Russian. So what's to say about that :scratch2:

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't know who Ryabova is and I don't read Russian. So what's to say about that :scratch2:

Ryabova is a Russian born skater but she's always competed internationally for Azerbaijan, which is probably why you haven't heard of her. According to Google Translate she didn't go into detail about it except to say "I was no longer satisfied with the training conditions"....given the few things we've heard about changes to accommodate Trusova and Kostornaia training, I would imagine there's more we haven't heard about. But this was something that I wondered would happen - you have skaters get angry/annoyed with either disruptions to their training or that they see other skaters getting preferably treatment to them.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does the article say who she is going to?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Two participations at Europeans, one at worlds, GP assignments (incl. the Rostelecom 2019 and 2020). Probably the most recognized skater from the Academy before the "great shift". Some promising results in the past, but no development.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She seemed to be doing quite well under Volkov, it’s a shame that it didn’t work out. Pandemic probably played a role yet again.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
She seemed to be doing quite well under Volkov, it’s a shame that it didn’t work out. Pandemic probably played a role yet again.

She's shown promises in the 2018/19 season, then she skated her best at Rostelecom 2019, but since then no development IMO and the results were rather worse then better in comparison with the previous ones.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does the article say who she is going to?
Not at the moment. Just that she will train with parents for now.

Translation by Google:

Azerbaijani figure skater Yekaterina Ryabova explained her departure from the academy of two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko.

"Due to some organizational changes in the Academy of "Plushenko's Angels", I was no longer satisfied with the training conditions, so at the moment we parted ways with the academy. Now I will train with my parents on rented ice."

They parted with Alexander Volkov and Evgeny Plushenko without conflicts.

"In principle, I am not a conflict person and I am sincerely grateful to the coaches for their work," said Ryabova.

Ryabova joined Plushenko Academy in 2017. At the 2020 European Championships, the figure skater finished sixth. This season, she took 9th place at 2020 Rostelecom Cup.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Nothing much, except that it will mainly bait people who are interested in the Tutberidze-Plushenko coaching drama (even though Volkov's group is relatively autonomous compared to other coaching groups in the Plushenko academy).

I guess this was made into a separate thread to contain toxic discussion that might otherwise take up irrelevant space in either Ryabova's fan thread or the European ladies' thread. (It first popped up as always in the Russian ladies' thread, but obviously Ryabova doesn't represent Russia so that wasn't the right place either.)

Or maybe everyone will be normal and and wish Ekaterina luck with her coaching change. :unsure:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I hope she gets a new coach soon, cause I'm not a fan of "parents-coach". Where do you draw the line between parenting and coaching?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope she gets a new coach soon, cause I'm not a fan of "parents-coach". Where do you draw the line between parenting and coaching?
Well Rina was originally coached by her father, Alexei and he does indeed still coach (although it mostly seems to be younger kids), there's an Instagram here: https://instagram.com/ryabov_team so he has experience.

As far as parents coaching their kids there has been quite a few - Dmitriev Snr coaches/ed Dmitriev Jnr (although he hasn't been completing this season), Alexander and Nikolai Marjarov were/are coached by their parents.

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The best example of this relationship is probably Nastia Liukin and her father, who helped her to win OGM. So it is possible, and in Nastia’s case I think it actually played to her advantage in many ways: her father seemed really invested in her and was very good at strategically assuring her advantages were helping her score as much as possible.
Though, I think in Ekaterina’s case her father probably wanted her to be coached by Volkov, because he doesn’t necessarily have qualifications to coach a top level competitive skater himself.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
another angel slams the door :) sorry i just think it's funny to call your students angels... especially when it's bound to happen that it's not heaven for everyone there and some will just leave. when skaters leave cricket club, we can just say they jumped coaches:)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The best example of this relationship is probably Nastia Liukin and her father, who helped her to win OGM. So it is possible, and in Nastia’s case I think it actually played to her advantage in many ways: her father seemed really invested in her and was very good at strategically assuring her advantages were helping her score as much as possible.
Though, I think in Ekaterina’s case her father probably wanted her to be coached by Volkov, because he doesn’t necessarily have qualifications to coach a top level competitive skater himself.
Not sure if it’s comparable because Valeri was himself an elite gymnast winning 2 golds and 2 silvers in the 1988 Olympics. So to have that type of parent as a coach as well as Nastia’s natural talent, it definitely set her apart and set her up for her OGM and other Olympic medals.

I don’t know much about Ryabova’s dad though... former skater?