Elena Radionova announced her retirement. | Golden Skate

Elena Radionova announced her retirement.

brakes

On the Ice
2015 World bronze medalist, multiple GPF and GPs medalist, 2015 Russian National Champion and double World Junior Champion, Elena Radionova, has officially ended her career in figure skating.

I think she was fantastic performer and fiery competitor, her domination on junior level, phenomenal duel with Tuktamysheva in 2014/15 season and her amazing exhibitions will never be forgotten. Good luck in future endeavors, Lenok! ❤️

guisadop

Spectator
Country
Brazil
I was already expecting this, sadly. It was Radionova who got me into figure skating with one of her presentations in "All That Skate" or something like that. Let's be honest, she wasn't doing well in the last few years and is already relatively old in a sport dominated by 15 year-olds.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Very sad to see her retire. Elena was one of the skaters that first got me into skating way back in 2016. She had that kind of performance ability that just can't be taught and I always loved watching her. You could tell that she had so much passion for the sport and she loved what she was doing. I'll miss her!

Amei

Record Breaker
I was already expecting this, sadly. It was Radionova who got me into figure skating with one of her presentations in "All That Skate" or something like that. Let's be honest, she wasn't doing well in the last few years and is already relatively old in a sport dominated by 15 year-olds.

And she hadn't actually competed since the 17-18 season I believe.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Predictable.
She should have been an european champion. For me 2015-2016 was her best season in terms of performances, not results. She kept her jumps after a major growth spurt (not the best landings but that wasn't a new problem). She switched to Buyanova too late imo. Buyanova could politick only for one skater, Sotskova, who was there before. She still fought for the olympic team but despite a not so bad showing in GPs, she had definitely lost fed's favors and didn't perform well at Rusnats.
I knew that back injury and lack of motivation already ended her career before that announcement.
She can be proud of her career despite not making it to olympics. She got all the big medals.
My favorite EX:
Must be one of the most viewed figure skating videos.

Idiote

On the Ice
I had never seen any of her exhibition programs, watching a few right now and wow, she's awesome !! She looks a lot like Florence Pugh imo, so if there's ever a biopic on her career they already have the actress :)

Seruleane

Final Flight
Her interview from rsport is translated here:

It is a very interesting interview and she talks about Goncharenko, Buyanova, Denis Ten, Medvedeva, Zagitova, etc. I especially like where she discussed what she learned from each of her choreographers (Shae Lynn, Averbukh, Morozaov, etc). She definitely seems like someone who soaked up choreography like a sponge, and this is probably part of the reason why her programs were all so excellent IMO.

It's great to see Lena maturing into a very intelligent, well spoken young lady. I LOVED her skating and was an uber fan. She's the one who got me invested in the Russian ladies to begin with, and I don't think there will be another like her anytime soon.

Her zombie exhibition piece is a classic. Personally, I love the Whitney Houston one where she rolls on the ice. Only Lena could pull that off!

The skaters who she works with are so lucky to have her.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Maybe she can be the stunt double for Florence Pugh if the latter ever does a figure skating film. I wonder if it’s normal for the double to be prettier than the star though...

randomfan

Record Breaker
Elena was always such a joy to watch. Reading her interview was like a trip down memory lane for me too but as a fan, from her losing Euros to Liza and Evgenia, to the whole coaching change drama, and many others. I really appreciate how honest and mature she was in the interview, especially since some of the questions (were half of them even questions though??) would have been a bit tricky to answer. I'll surely miss her...:cry:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Elena is my favorite skater by far. We all knew this was coming... Yet for some reason the news still strikes me. I feel like getting wasted tonight and rewatching her journey in this sport.

If only they gave her that euro gold... maybe it wouldn't be as painful. :(

Gabby30

On the Ice
2015 World bronze medalist, multiple GPF and GPs medalist, 2015 Russian National Champion and double World Junior Champion, Elena Radionova, has officially ended her career in figure skating.

I think she was fantastic performer and fiery competitor, her domination on junior level, phenomenal duel with Tuktamysheva in 2014/15 season and her amazing exhibitions will never be forgotten. Good luck in future endeavors, Lenok! ❤️

I thought she already retired years ago :unsure: