European Skating 2021-22 Season | Golden Skate

European Skating 2021-22 Season

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
And there's so many more skaters in Europe. For example: Loena Hendrickx, Eva-Lotta Kiibus, Olga Mikutina, Josefin Taljegard, Lindsay van Zundert, Alexia Paganini, Daniel Grassl, Matteo Rizzo, Kevin Amoz, Morisi Kvitelashvili, Deniss Vasiljevs, Nicolaj Majorov, Michal Brezina, Gabriëlle Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron, Lilah Fear/Lewis Gibson, Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri, Sara Hurtado/Khyrill Kaliavin. Olivia Smart/Adrian Diaz, Nicole della Monica/Matteo Guarise, Annika Hocke/Robert Kunkel, Minerva Fabienne Hasse/Nolan Seegert, Miriam Ziegler/Severin Kiever, Elizaveta Zhuk/Martin Bidar......I can go on.

Good idea @Skatesocs !

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I think Georgia will make the Team Event :cheer2: But will it be Urushadze or Gubanova for their sole woman? Does Gubanova have Georgian citizenship?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Josefin Taljegard. She should be at the Olympics. I don't care one whit that her technical score is less than some others. But I want to watch her, enjoy her skating even when I don't particularly like the music. She is fantastic. Please Swedish OC let her come. Who cares that she won't get a medal? She'll make the whole audience erupt with happiness. Isn't that worth something too?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Josefin Taljegard. She should be at the Olympics. I don't care one whit that her technical score is less than some others. But I want to watch her, enjoy her skating even when I don't particularly like the music. She is fantastic. Please Swedish OC let her come. Who cares that she won't get a medal? She'll make the whole audience erupt with happiness. Isn't that worth something too?
Josefin is a great entertainer, I enjoy her a lot and she would be a perfect contender for the olympics. But let’s not forget that there are four senior women on the Swedish national team:

Matilda Algotsson

Emelie Ling

Josefin Taljegård

Anita Östlund

I’m sure an injury-free Anita can challenge Josefin. And we don’t know what form Matilda and Emilie are in. Last season they didn’t compete much, if at all. Emilie is signed up for jgp cup of Austria. She is 18 years old. If she shows promise she might have that ’one for the future’ spot. But then she needs a senior competition. Don't think she ever competed as a senior internationally?

The tough requirements for Swedish olympians affect athletes from other sports as well, summer and winter. There were lots of complaints this summer about great athletes being left at home. This got lots of attention and support for the athletes. They were from more popular sports than figure skating, like swimming and athletics. But the result is that the Swedish olympic committee(SOK) is going to look into how they should change their selection process.

SOK’s boss Peter Reinebo self-critical: ’There are things to do’ (in Swedish)

Summery:
Now strict ’possible 8th place’ or ’young and promising’ are the criterias.

From this winter they will be better at giving information to each sport's federations individually. Not just written information of the rules on their web pages. There will also be verbal communication with the responsible people for each sport.

I’m sure the requirements will still be tough though. I imagine there’s a big cost for each athlete including coaches, travel, boarding, clothes and all. But maybe the Swedish skating federation(SKF) will now have a better chance to explain how hard this sport is. In particular for a skater from a small nation. And hopefully convince them how fabulous that 15th place Josefin got at worlds 2021 was.

So let’s hope for the best; one woman and one man from Sweden in Beijing. I think it’s unnecessary to criticize SOK until there is a definite decision.

Not saying that you did that ladyjane. You were begging them (y)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Josefin is a great entertainer, I enjoy her a lot and she would be a perfect contender for the olympics. But let’s not forget that there are four senior women on the Swedish national team:

Matilda Algotsson

Emelie Ling

Josefin Taljegård

Anita Östlund

I’m sure an injury-free Anita can challenge Josefin. And we don’t know what form Matilda and Emilie are in. Last season they didn’t compete much, if at all. Emilie is signed up for jgp cup of Austria. She is 18 years old. If she shows promise she might have that ’one for the future’ spot. But then she needs a senior competition. Don't think she ever competed as a senior internationally?

The tough requirements for Swedish olympians affect athletes from other sports as well, summer and winter. There were lots of complaints this summer about great athletes being left at home. This got lots of attention and support for the athletes. They were from more popular sports than figure skating, like swimming and athletics. But the result is that the Swedish olympic committee(SOK) is going to look into how they should change their selection process.

SOK’s boss Peter Reinebo self-critical: ’There are things to do’ (in Swedish)

Summery:
Now strict ’possible 8th place’ or ’young and promising’ are the criterias.

From this winter they will be better at giving information to each sport's federations individually. Not just written information of the rules on their web pages. There will also be verbal communication with the responsible people for each sport.

I’m sure the requirements will still be tough though. I imagine there’s a big cost for each athlete including coaches, travel, boarding, clothes and all. But maybe the Swedish skating federation(SKF) will now have a better chance to explain how hard this sport is. In particular for a skater from a small nation. And hopefully convince them how fabulous that 15th place Josefin got at worlds 2021 was.

So let’s hope for the best; one woman and one man from Sweden in Beijing. I think it’s unnecessary to criticize SOK until there is a definite decision.

Not saying that you did that ladyjane. You were begging them (y)
I am sure it all has to do with funding. A lot of Swedish athletes are good in other winter sports so there will be many Swedes in Beijing. So I guess the SOK are looking at medal chances. And let's face it, Josefin and Nikolaj will never get an Olympic medal and a top 10 place seems also very unlikely. FS is more segregated that way compared to other sports. Compare that to like Alpine skiing, where a skier ranked 30-40 in the world might have a good day and snitch a bronze.

As FS is quite small in Sweden, I don't think the SOK even has any knowledge of the sport. But I am sure they would be surprised if they find out that there are hundreds of fans around the world that want to see Josefin and Nikolaj! Maybe that is the way to sway them...;)

Last edited:

Tingeling

Rinkside
Alexander and Nikolaj's mother said in an interview that they had offered to pay all the expenses for Alexander's trip to Pyeongchang out of their own pocket, but he still wasn't allowed to go, so it's not a money issue but a public image one.

It's both. The SOK is underfunded and arguably spending their money unwisely as well. They cannot afford to send everyone who qualifies, at least not without draining their savings account, so to speak. Which is exactly what they've had to do in the past, even with these strict selection criteria. For instance, they used funds allocated for talent development to pay for the Rio Olympics. So basically sacrificing the future for the present.

But you're right, I think it's mainly a matter of principle. Allowing someone to go at their own expense would set a dangerous precedent.

DenissVFan

Medalist
It's both. The SOK is underfunded and arguably spending their money unwisely as well. They cannot afford to send everyone who qualifies, at least not without draining their savings account, so to speak. Which is exactly what they've had to do in the past, even with these strict selection criteria. For instance, they used funds allocated for talent development to pay for the Rio Olympics. So basically sacrificing the future for the present.

But you're right, I think it's mainly a matter of principle. Allowing someone to go at their own expense would set a dangerous precedent.
That is all very sad because there are plenty of much poorer countries who are happy to send their athletes to the Olympics, no matter their placement. In skating that's for example Mexico. If every country had the same approach as Sweden, there wouldn't really be Olympics to speak of.

Tingeling

Rinkside
That is all very sad because there are plenty of much poorer countries who are happy to send their athletes to the Olympics, no matter their placement. In skating that's for example Mexico. If every country had the same approach as Sweden, there wouldn't really be Olympics to speak of.

It's infuriating and totally goes against the Olympic spirit 😞

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What kind of nonsense is this?

If you are in a sport and your athlete qualifies for the Olympics, you find a way to have them go. Otherwise, why are you even participating in an Olympic sport?

It‘s not like Sweden is a poor country. And if the athlete themselves are offering to pay to go on their own dime, what’s the excuse for not letting them?

DenissVFan

Medalist
EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AT THE 2022 OWG:

(In order of spots and then in alphabetical order.)

Countries with spots in 4 disciplines:

Russia / ROC: 3 women, 3 men, 3 pairs, 3 ID couples = 12 spots

Czech Republic: 1 woman, 1 man, 1 pair, 1 ID couple = 4 spots

Georgia: 1 woman, 1 man, 1 pair, 1 ID couple = 4 spots

Countries with spots in 3 disciplines:

Italy: 2 men, 2 pairs, 1 ID couple = 5 spots

Germany: 1 woman, 1 pair, 1 ID couple = 3 spots

Ukraine: 1 woman, 1 man, 1 ID couple = 3 spots

Countries with spots in 2 disciplines:

France: 2 men, 1 ID couple = 3 spots

Austria: 1 woman, 1 pair = 2 spots

Azerbaijan: 1 woman, 1 man = 2 spots

Belarus: 1 woman, 1 man = 2 spots

Spain: 1 pair* (potential citizenship issues?), 1 ID couple = 2 spots

Estonia: 1 woman, 1 man = 2 spots

Finland: 1 woman, 1 ID couple = 2 spots

Great Britain: 1 woman, 1 ID couple = 2 spots

Israel: 1 man, 1 pair = 2 spots

Poland: 1 woman, 1 ID couple = 2 spots

Switzerland: 1 woman, 1 man = 2 spots

Sweden: 1 woman**, 1 man*** (both pending the decision of the SOC) = 2 spots

Countries with spots in 1 discipline:

Armenia: 1 ID couple = 1 spot

Belgium: 1 woman = 1 spot

Bulgaria: 1 woman = 1 spot

Hungary: 1 pair = 1 spot

Latvia: 1 man = 1 spot

Lithuania: 1 ID couple**** (potential citizenship issues?) = 1 spot

the Netherlands: 1 woman = 1 spot

*next in line for Spain’s pairs’ spot: (China), Belarus

**next in line for Sweden’s women’s spot: Italy

***next in line for Sweden’s men’s spot: Turkey

****next in line for Lithuania’s ID spot: Hungary

(European member states that currently have no Olympic spots: Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Moldova, North Macedonia, Monaco, Norway, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey.)

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Israel: 1 man, 1 pair* (potential citizenship issues?) = 2 spots
The Israel Olympic Committee posted on Instagram congratulating the pair and stating that this will be Krasnapolski's 3rd Olympics, so it sounds like there are no citizenship issues. It also mentioned that Kops lived and studied in Israel before teaming up with Krasnapolski: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUPLWVUItM1/

Reactions: ana