Evgenia Medvedeva appointed 'ambassador' for Team Russia at Tokyo 2020 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva appointed 'ambassador' for Team Russia at Tokyo 2020

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist

Fluture

Record Breaker
But the question is, does this confirm that two of the 4A won't be on the World's team?

Actually, because of comments like this a member of the leadership of the Moscow figure skating federation had to publicly announce that this role as an ambassador had nothing to do with Zhenya's position on the national team and that she's not being favored whatsoever and will only be judged on her skating alone. So, please just stop with these comments, they're not true and just some stupid conspiracies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actually, because of comments like this a member of the leadership of the Moscow figure skating federation had to publicly announce that this role as an ambassador had nothing to do with Zhenya's position on the national team and that she's not being favored whatsoever and will only be judged on her skating alone. So, please just stop with these comments, they're not true and just some stupid conspiracies.

I don't think it suggests a conspiracy to ask that question. The Russian Fed went out of its way to give her more opportunities to get on the World team last season than they would have given anyone else. She certainly earned those opportunities from her past results and contributions to the sport, and made the most of the assignment by medaling at Worlds, but I think it's hard to argue that she wasn't shown favoritism.

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't think it suggests a conspiracy to ask that question. The Russian Fed went out of its way to give her more opportunities to get on the World team last season than they would have given anyone else. She certainly earned those opportunities from her past results and contributions to the sport, and made the most of the assignment by medaling at Worlds, but I think it's hard to argue that she wasn't shown favoritism.

Not just Evgenia but Tuktamysheva as well, granted Tuktamysheva was given the opportunity based on being ill, Evgenia not so much. But last year I feel was an 'off' year for the Russian ladies in that they had a couple of skaters fall off performance-wise that put them in a position to have a less than desired top 3 age-eligible ladies for Europeans/Worlds. That is less likely to be a problem in the coming years with the 3A being age-eligible.

KiraraChin

Medalist
*sigh*

Can we get back to topic, please?

Like I said, this has nothing to do with Worlds team choice, not past, nor future.

Lachinka

Spectator
Well deserved! I hope this means the officials recognize her not only as an extraordinary skater but a person who is able to represent their country (or figure skating as a whole) in large matters.... leaving the door open to be a member of ISU eventually... possibly...

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Well deserved! I hope this means the officials recognize her not only as an extraordinary skater but a person who is able to represent their country (or figure skating as a whole) in large matters.... leaving the door open to be a member of ISU eventually... possibly...

Agree. Zhenya for ISU president? :p :D one can dream

KiraraChin

Medalist

Actually the president of the Russian Olympic Committee said exactly this. He said that Zhenya is greatly respected by the leaders of other international sports organisations, not only as an outstanding athlete, but also as a great person and diplomat.

Lachinka

Spectator
Agree. Zhenya for ISU president? :p :D one can dream

So, dear Mr Lakernik, would you please kindly stand up and give your ISU chair to the rightful queen? (He's a vice president but that will do for now, she needs her 40minutes session to work on her quad :D Judging by Lakernik's last statement, he's going a bit... off the road...) :scratch2::laugh: