Evgenia Medvedeva appointed 'ambassador' for Team Russia at Tokyo 2020 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva appointed 'ambassador' for Team Russia at Tokyo 2020

KiraraChin

Medalist
Olympic silver medallist Evgenia Medvedeva has been named an 'ambassador' for Team Russia at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) president Stanislav Pozdnyakov made the announcement at a press conference on Tuesday in Moscow.

The country had been prevented from competing under its own flag at PyeongChang 2018, where Medvedeva won silver as an 'Olympic Athlete from Russia'.

"As you remember in the end of February [2018], the Russian Olympic Team was fully restored and can now compete in Tokyo 2020 under a Russian flag," Pozdnyakov said.

"Evgenia is one of the reasons why this happened. She attended a few meetings and played an important role.

"You cannot not notice diplomatic efforts that Evgenia has shown. For us it seems to be a reasonable decision to choose Evgenia as our official Tokyo 2020 ambassador. The main role of the Ambassador of the Olympic team is to support and be with the team."

ROC Media Relations Officer Konstantin Vybornov added: "Evgenia stood in front of IOC at the meeting using her diplomatic skills. Speaking about athlete courage, this was it. She took a huge responsibility. Performing in front of a lot of people in a crisis situation is a huge responsibility."

Full story here: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/amp/evgenia-medvedeva-ambassador-russia-tokyo-2020/

Huge and very well deserved recognition, and how cool that we'll see a figure skater as part of the Russian delegation at the Olympic Summer Games!

ETA: Medvedeva on new season, quads, and Tokyo 2020 https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/v...medvedeva-on-new-season-quads-and-tokyo-2020/ (video interview with Zhenya by the Olympic Channel)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Med! She will be a great Ambassador, well deserved honor!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love this young woman and I'm so happy for her. I've given flowers to several skaters over the years and I hope to see her in person some day.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
It's great that a winter sport athlete has received such recognition from the summer disciplines. Congratulations! I'm sure she'll be an excellent ambassador.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
She's just the loveliest young woman and I'm so happy for her :) To be able to have the opportunity to be involved with the summer games after the unfortunate situation for team Russia during the last winter games is exactly what she deserves, since she played a role in the athletes being able to compete. And it's in Japan, a great love of hers. Side note.. she looked so beautiful at the press conference. Congrats Zhenya :)

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m happy for her. This is so deserved. Last year she made a speech to IOC trying to help her teammates be allowed to go to the Olympics, even though she wasn‘t even sure whether she‘d be healthy enough to compete herself. She was diplomatic and well-spoken and I think it‘s nice that they reward her now with this role as an ambassador for everything she‘s done for her country.

asingingwife

Rinkside
I think this is great especially after the hard time she had with training in Canada. I hope she continues to skate competitively for a long time to come but it's also obvious that she can have a place in figure skating afterwards. Bright future ahead.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never follow the summer Olympics. I will be in 2020. I'm so happy for Evgenia. :)

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
They couldn't have picked a better ambassador. Proud of Zhenya! :hap10:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Zhenya:hap10:

And I usually try not to be too shallow;), but I have to join everyone else on this: no one rocks a red pantsuit and stilettos like Zhenya. I'm impressed.:)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Great for Evgenia! She looks amazing. But the question is, does this confirm that two of the 4A won't be on the World's team?

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Great for Evgenia! She looks amazing. But the question is, does this confirm that two of the 4A won't be on the World's team?
What are you talking about?

I know what you're suggesting and it's bogus. I'm tired of these kinds of comments ffs.

KiraraChin

Medalist
This has nothing to do with the Worlds' team.

Coming back to the topic, you can find some of her quotes from the press conference in this thread: https://twitter.com/MedvedevaNation/status/1166775904774889473

Also, since you all asked :biggrin: here's another look at her outfit:
https://twitter.com/MedvedevaNation/status/1166306726955630592
:luv17: