Extremely low chrome relief on old new blades? (Gold Stars) | Golden Skate

Extremely low chrome relief on old new blades? (Gold Stars)

skate.nerd

Spectator
Hi all!

I bought some MK Gold Stars 8" on clearance so no returns.

FB users have helped me identify that the blades are probably from the 70s, because 80s blades onwards had more spin spot and side holes for temp mounting.

I currently have the same problems/questions:

1. The chrome relief is like 1mm, how much life is there in my brand new blades? Are they doomed after 3 sharpenings? How did old-timey people do it?

2. The heel life is only like 1/2". Is this considered flat? Will this blade skate more like a flatter blade like a pattern 99 or phantom?

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

I bought some MK Gold Stars 8" on clearance so no returns.

FB users have helped me identify that the blades are probably from the 70s, because 80s blades onwards had more spin spot and side holes for temp mounting.

I currently have the same problems/questions:

1. The chrome relief is like 1mm, how much life is there in my brand new blades? Are they doomed after 3 sharpenings? How did old-timey people do it?

2. The heel life is only like 1/2". Is this considered flat? Will this blade skate more like a flatter blade like a pattern 99 or phantom?

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

First of all, Pattern 99 and Phantom are not "flatter" blades. Secondly, I would never attempt to sharpen and skate on those.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This goes way back, so I'm not sure how good my memory is. The first pair of blades I ever purchased were MK Single Stars in the late 60's, followed by MK Professionals in the early 70's. I'm pretty sure if the chrome relief had been only ~1 mm or so, though, I would have remembered. I believe they were comparable to that of current blades. So if the chrome relief on beginner and intermediate MK blades of that era was much deeper (wider) than ~1 mm or so, I can't imagine the chrome relief on their advanced Gold Stars would be so shallow (narrow).

Just because there is an original MK hang tag doesn't mean it is new old stock. I think you have heavily used blades. ETA: Any evidence of scratches and nicks (other than shelf wear if they weren't wrapped up), perhaps buffed up? Can't tell from the photos for certain.

Last edited:

skate.nerd

Spectator
Update: MK called me personally! They were amazed that I got my hands on these blades and said that they're new and they look to be in great quality. They estimate they are about 25 years old. They said I should have no problems skating on them; the spin rocker is less pronounced than modern day gold stars but he said that the blades are still perfectly serviceable (and probably better made than modern blades since they were handcrafted back then)

So it's not exactly a modern Gold Star, but definitely a useable and pretty blade!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Update: MK called me personally! They were amazed that I got my hands on these blades and said that they're new and they look to be in great quality. They estimate they are about 25 years old. They said I should have no problems skating on them; the spin rocker is less pronounced than modern day gold stars but he said that the blades are still perfectly serviceable (and probably better made than modern blades since they were handcrafted back then)

So it's not exactly a modern Gold Star, but definitely a useable and pretty blade!
I'm glad to see your story has a happy ending. But just to confirm: the chrome relief is only about 1 mm or so deep?

skate.nerd

Spectator
I'm glad to see your story has a happy ending. But just to confirm: the chrome relief is only about 1 mm or so deep?
Yeah, the chrome relief is only about 1-2mm IRL. But the rep from MK who called me said it shouldn't pose any problem for sharpening. Unfortunately, since it was vintage, he couldn't tell me if it had modern Gold Star specs like being tapered etc and I'm personally too inexperienced to tell. (I'm trying not to bother my sharpener at the moment as his machine broke and he's very stressed)