Figure skating costume advice | Golden Skate

Figure skating costume advice

Tokinekim

Spectator
Hi

This is a question for those who have competed - when wearing a figure skating dress during practice and competitions, I noticed that I tend to sweat through the dress so the torso area becomes splotchy in certain areas. Previously when this happened to a dark blue dress, I figured the dress was not well-made, but thereafter I bought a dark pink dress from a different retailer and the same issue is happening. It is too late for me to change dress now (eg to a black dress).

Any solutions?

Thanks!

Elija

On the Ice
Are you sweating prior to competing or while competing? I would have thought the rink was cold enough to prevent too much sweating while on the ice, but if it’s before maybe avoid wearing the dress for too long before competing (or avoid warming up in it). If you want to switch to a black dress, there’s no reason you can’t do that any time.

Tokinekim

Spectator
Are you sweating prior to competing or while competing? I would have thought the rink was cold enough to prevent too much sweating while on the ice, but if it’s before maybe avoid wearing the dress for too long before competing (or avoid warming up in it). If you want to switch to a black dress, there’s no reason you can’t do that any time.
Hi Elija

It happens only when I start skating. I have always been fortunate enough to not have to layer up during practice sessions. I can easily go onto the ice with a crop top.

I can't change dresses because my competition is in a month. And frankly my budget does not allow for me to acquire a new costume.

loveohio

Rinkside
Make sure you are buying dresses that have a full proper lining; this will help to absorb sweat. Many dresses are made of 2 layers - the colored lycra and a nude lining. Some makers (Brad Griffies definitely, and some others) construct most of their dresses with 3 layers - nude lining, colored lycra, and outer layer of colored mesh.

To help your current situation, you could purchase a nude dance foundation to wear underneath. They're basically flesh-colored leotards with either nude or clear straps, and some brands are double-layered, with a lining; some have extra bust support. That could help absorb sweat before it gets to your dress. Look on www.discountdance.com under the catagory Undergarments.

Elija

On the Ice
Hi Elija

It happens only when I start skating. I have always been fortunate enough to not have to layer up during practice sessions. I can easily go onto the ice with a crop top.

I can't change dresses because my competition is in a month. And frankly my budget does not allow for me to acquire a new costume.
Sorry, I misread that as you asking about switching to a black dress!

The only other think I can think of is wearing a moisture wicking sports bra under your dress if the cut allows for it or sewing a moisture wicking fabric into the lining of the front of the dress. The suggestion anbove about the liner under the dress may also work, again depending on the cut, as long as it doesn’t make you too warm and exacerbate the issue.

Tokinekim

Spectator
Thanks loveohio and Elija! I really appreciate your input on this.

The dresses i bought were from LK and Iconic, both of which are as well-made as dresses can be, so clearly I'm the problem it's me.