Finding a Coach as an Adult | Golden Skate

Finding a Coach as an Adult

mercybuckets

Rinkside
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered somewhere, I did a quick search and I didn't see anything.

I'm a 26 year old beginning skater. I'm currently in Adult LTS, basically retaking it because I was off ice for a year+ due to covid and I also moved. Prior to covid I was doing figure skating bridge (Adult Pre-Bronze) The session is almost over and based on prior conversations, I think they're gonna recommend getting a private coach but how do you even go about doing that?

Also, the rink where I'm doing LTS is close(ish) to my house but very hockey focused. There is a tiny group of young figure skaters (maybe 8-10 of them?) and literally one other person in my LTS that wants to do figure skating. My last rink was also hockey focused but not to this extent! There is a very nice figure skating rink with a good reputation that's further away. Should I be looking there for coaches?

I have literally never had private lessons in anything so I have no idea where to start. Do you just find people online and email them?

Last edited:

Girlbird

On the Ice
Other than word of mouth, most figure skating clubs have websites where they list their coaches and contact info. It's going to take some effort on your part of contacting the coaches and ask if they are taking on students.

My experience is that most coaches are more reachable by phone than e-mail, especially if they are older.

Explain that you're an adult skater, where you are at, and what your immediate goals are (to have fun and learn and progress? To test and compete? What discipline(s) are you interested in Etc). Usually you can do a trial lesson or two, and if it feels like a good fit, go from there. Everyone is different and has a different learning/teaching style so it's just a matter of finding something that feels good.

Remember, you are an adult and it is your skating 'career' - so you get to decide what you want out of it. It's good to find a coach that really enjoys working with adult skaters and you're going to be able to sense that by their enthusiasm and dedication to you. Be upfront about what your schedule and commitment level is like too. Are you going to want take a lesson once a week? twice a month?

If at any point you don't feel as if it's the right fit, you can have a conversation about it. Just be open and honest, and don't go behind your coach's back about finding a new coach. This stuff happens all the time, and they should be able to handle it - I imagine it can be tricky, but a good coach wnats you to succeed. They may even have a recommendation for you! Always ask your 'primary' coach about taking additional lessons from another coach as well (like maybe you want to try ice dance or work on something specific with a different coach you know) - it's just good etiquette.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
All of the above!

If you can observe the coaches working with adults in a LTS class, you should be able to spot which ones actually enjoy teaching adults. Some do, some don't. I've found that the younger coaches can sometimes struggle to relate to adults, although that's by no means always the case as some are excellent from the start. In your position, I'd be looking at a rink further away but with a good reputation for figure skating rather than hockey. Good luck!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are you in Massachusetts by any chance (wondering because I saw your post about seeing Max at Cranberry)? If so, both SCOB and CFSC have coaches that are absolutely wonderful with adults. From what I have heard, ice flow with Elin Schran is a real treat and she's at both of those clubs. CFSC has synchro for adults and SCOB has TOI for adults. None of the hockey clubs are worth your time if you are in Mass. You'll improve better with less days skating at a club with good coaches than with more ice at a hockey club. Ignore this advice if you're not from Mass, though.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
^^ If you're in MA I can send you some clubs/coaches with adult skaters depending on your location. I've done Elin's ice flow weekly for over a year (haven't now due to moving locations) and it's very supportive class, focusing on you just enjoying yourself. She has it set up so anyone can do the moves - from complete beginners to advanced skaters.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd like to add the option of doing practice without a coach at the rink close to you and lessons at the figure skating rink once every week or every two weeks if you would like to drive less and practice more.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd like to add the option of doing practice without a coach at the rink close to you and lessons at the figure skating rink once every week or every two weeks if you would like to drive less and practice more.
Further to the above, if you find suitable coaches at more distant rinks, ask them whether they can give you private lessons at your closer rink. That will depend on many variables, e.g., where the coach lives or works, available ice time at your rink, your schedule, the coaches' schedules, and your rink's policy on coaches and private lessons. Doesn't hurt to ask.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Further to the above, if you find suitable coaches at more distant rinks, ask them whether they can give you private lessons at your closer rink. That will depend on many variables, e.g., where the coach lives or works, available ice time at your rink, your schedule, the coaches' schedules, and your rink's policy on coaches and private lessons. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Yes. So many coaches are already driving from rink to rink all day anyway, so many will be able to do this.