Flip Jump Help | Golden Skate

Flip Jump Help

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello. I am trying to learn the Flip Jump but I am having trouble understanding the jump. The way that they explained the jump in my class is to pick back with your right foot and then bring the left foot back towards the right foot/"draw your feet together" but I'm confused as to whether the jump is primarily off of the left foot or off the right toepick foot. Or am I supposed to be jumping off of both feet? I've looked at some videos online and most people say that the jump is off of the left foot and the right foot is just a helper but I've also seen people say the opposite...that you're jumping off your right toepick foot. And to me it seems like when you draw your feet back, you're going to be transferring most of your weight back to the right foot so it seems more like you'd primarily be jumping off your right foot but I don't really know? Maybe either way is okay and perhaps I'm over analyzing the jump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Have you done a loop jump with both feet on the ice? It should feel very similar except with the right foot having a toe in instead of the whole blade. The jump is mostly off your right toe.

As always, ask your coach. They should know what corrections to give you because they've seen you do it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello. I am trying to learn the Flip Jump but I am having trouble understanding the jump. The way that they explained the jump in my class is to pick back with your right foot and then bring the left foot back towards the right foot/"draw your feet together" but I'm confused as to whether the jump is primarily off of the left foot or off the right toepick foot. Or am I supposed to be jumping off of both feet? I've looked at some videos online and most people say that the jump is off of the left foot and the right foot is just a helper but I've also seen people say the opposite...that you're jumping off your right toepick foot. And to me it seems like when you draw your feet back, you're going to be transferring most of your weight back to the right foot so it seems more like you'd primarily be jumping off your right foot but I don't really know? Maybe either way is okay and perhaps I'm over analyzing the jump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Always ask your coach.

But maybe this will help in addition: The Flip's a toe jump that takes off from a back inside edge and lands on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. It's executed with assistance from the toe of the free foot/leg.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Honestly I'm gonna say it depends on what technique you use.
In any case it is a toe assisted jump, but some people push power up from the pick, some prerotate and go to the forward from right foot, some people draw back left foot and draw power from this.
I'd need to see a technical video to see what sort of technique your coach teaches.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Have you done a loop jump with both feet on the ice? It should feel very similar except with the right foot having a toe in instead of the whole blade. The jump is mostly off your right toe.

As always, ask your coach. They should know what corrections to give you because they've seen you do it.
I can do a loop jump. I'll try to think of the flip like a loop, maybe this will help because my loop is pretty good but not great. Thank you.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Always ask your coach.

But maybe this will help in addition: The Flip's a toe jump that takes off from a back inside edge and lands on the back outside edge of the opposite foot. It's executed with assistance from the toe of the free foot/leg.
Okay so it sounds like the toe doesn't do too much, that it's just kind of a helper that adds a little bit of power and height but that most of the power is from the skate foot. Thank you.

Last edited:

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Honestly I'm gonna say it depends on what technique you use.
In any case it is a toe assisted jump, but some people push power up from the pick, some prerotate and go to the forward from right foot, some people draw back left foot and draw power from this.
I'd need to see a technical video to see what sort of technique your coach teaches.
Yeah I couldn't find a standard set answer to this question online so I think you're absolutely right that some skaters use one technique and others use another. That explains why some people say it's off the right foot and others say its off the left. I guess I can try both and see which one works better for me. Thank you.