Flip Jump | Golden Skate

Flip Jump

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
I need major help with my Flip jump. For some reason I have trouble recovering from the 3 turn entrance. I'm trying to "check" after the 3 turn, but I still keep rotating around on an inside edge (that's probably too deep) and it throws off the whole jump. And the same thing happens when I try it from a Mohawk entrance. I've tried just practicing 3 turns alone to try to make them straighter but it's not helping when I put the whole jump together. This problem is causing me to place my right toepick too far away (side to side) from my left leg because the left inside edge that's too curvy is causing my balance to be thrown off to the right side, or at least that's my analysis of what I think is happening.

A second problem I'm having with this jump and the Loop is that I frequently don't get all the way around on these jumps (I think that might be called under-rotated?). My toe pick often hits the ice for the landing when I'm only about 3/4ths of the way around from where I started the jump. I'm not sure why because I really try to bend my right leg before I jump. It is really discouraging because I will never have a chance of doing Axel, let alone doubles, if I can't land these all the way around. I don't know if the problem could be that maybe I'm focusing too much on the rotation and not the height? I say that because my body still rotates a lot when I land so I think my rotation is fine but perhaps not height? I can do these jumps off ice without any issue. Does anyone have any insight they can give me? Thank you

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I need major help with my Flip jump. For some reason I have trouble recovering from the 3 turn entrance. I'm trying to "check" after the 3 turn, but I still keep rotating around on an inside edge (that's probably too deep) and it throws off the whole jump. And the same thing happens when I try it from a Mohawk entrance. I've tried just practicing 3 turns alone to try to make them straighter but it's not helping when I put the whole jump together. This problem is causing me to place my right toepick too far away (side to side) from my left leg because the left inside edge that's too curvy is causing my balance to be thrown off to the right side, or at least that's my analysis of what I think is happening.

A second problem I'm having with this jump and the Loop is that I frequently don't get all the way around on these jumps (I think that might be called under-rotated?). My toe pick often hits the ice for the landing when I'm only about 3/4ths of the way around from where I started the jump. I'm not sure why because I really try to bend my right leg before I jump. It is really discouraging because I will never have a chance of doing Axel, let alone doubles, if I can't land these all the way around. I don't know if the problem could be that maybe I'm focusing too much on the rotation and not the height? I say that because my body still rotates a lot when I land so I think my rotation is fine but perhaps not height? I can do these jumps off ice without any issue. Does anyone have any insight they can give me? Thank you
What does your coach say? Also, is there anyone at your rink or nearby rink (coaches) that are certified in teaching jumps using the harness, because that may help you greatly.

There is a good on ice toe in and hop exercise that can get you the feeling for the explosiveness of the proper flip jump technique, I can elaborate later on that if you'd like.

Last edited:

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
What does your coach say? Also, is there anyone at your rink or nearby rink (coaches) that are certified in teaching jumps using the harness, because that may help you greatly.

There is a good on ice toe in and hop exercise that can get you the feeling for the explosiveness of the proper flip jump technique, I can elaborate later on that if you'd like.
He said I should try doing the jump without the entrance, like just from moving backwards and once I'm comfortable with that, then add either the 3 turn or Mohawk entrance back in later. I practiced a lot of them like that but then when I added the entrance back in, I was back to the same issue. There are some coaches that use the harness for jumps, I can definitely try to look into that! I've never tried the Flip on the harness before.

I would love for you to elaborate on the exercise you're talking about. Do you know if it's on You Tube?

Thank you for your help

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Try practicing the three turn to the toe in without jumping and keeping it on a straight line (this may even be similar to the exercise Ic3Rabbit was talking about). Also if your rink has hockey lines, practice the jump on the line.

Alyssa Skates

Spectator
Try practicing the three turn to the toe in without jumping and keeping it on a straight line (this may even be similar to the exercise Ic3Rabbit was talking about). Also if your rink has hockey lines, practice the jump on the line.
I will try to do them on one of the hockey lines, that's a good idea. Hopefully having a line to guide me will force me to keep the turn straighter. Thank you.