Flip and Lutz issues | Golden Skate

Flip and Lutz issues

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my flip and lutz and was wondering if you might have some tips to fix the issue: I don't transfer my whole weight onto my left foot (I'm a lefty) and end up either jumping from both feet, just from my right foot or in most cases popping the jump. I'm not sure if it's a mental block or not but I just can't seem to do it. It usually works better when I do my entries slower but as soon as I build up speed I'm back at square one. I've always had this problem but it's gotten progressively worse over time. I've already tried different entries and lots of off ice practice but so far nothing has helped. My coach thought i might be leaning too far forward and also "sitting down" instead of standing upright before doing the jump but after fixing those problems I still can't transfer my weight properly. What am I missing?

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Do you practice half flip and lutz? Doing the kind where you hop on to the foot you picked with and then glide out (as opposed to the split jump style going to the opposite foot) helped me a lot with my takeoff.

Reactions: TQB

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Do you practice half flip and lutz? Doing the kind where you hop on to the foot you picked with and then glide out (as opposed to the split jump style going to the opposite foot) helped me a lot with my takeoff.
I did try that when first learning the jumps but haven't really done it since. Thank you for the suggestion I'll defnintely give it a go!

celia

Rinkside
You can also just practice the weight transfer. Do the jump setup, pick in, then transfer to your picking foot and jump up without turning at all. Land on same foot in a landing position. Also practice loop jumps as these are from the same foot as your picking foot and the air position is the same.

Vicki7

On the Ice
What does your coach suggest? This isn’t something that needs the input of a coach.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
My coach is really supportive, she has me do different drills off and on ice and it does get better but as soon a I start builing up speed before the jump I just forget everything I learnt and I'm back to where I was before. It's quite strange because off ice I don't have the problem of transferring weight at all but on the ice I just can't do it properly. Also when I pick into the ice before I jump I struggle with really pulling back with my left leg so maybe that's part of the problem.
I've been doing all I can to sort this out but as soon as I think I've finally cracked it I can't do it anymore so I thought I might as well come on here and see what you all think.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my flip and lutz and was wondering if you might have some tips to fix the issue: I don't transfer my whole weight onto my left foot (I'm a lefty) and end up either jumping from both feet, just from my right foot or in most cases popping the jump. I'm not sure if it's a mental block or not but I just can't seem to do it. It usually works better when I do my entries slower but as soon as I build up speed I'm back at square one. I've always had this problem but it's gotten progressively worse over time. I've already tried different entries and lots of off ice practice but so far nothing has helped. My coach thought i might be leaning too far forward and also "sitting down" instead of standing upright before doing the jump but after fixing those problems I still can't transfer my weight properly. What am I missing?
Focus to lifting the right foot to "h" position. If you've been taught a prerotation technique, this is a must.
But even those (like Kolyada, Hanyu and Boyang) still hit some sort of "h" position with minimal prerotation.