General Information: Olympic Figure Skating Individual Events | Golden Skate

General Information: Olympic Figure Skating Individual Events

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022 Winter Olympic Games will be held February 4-20, 2022, in Beijing, China. The venue for Figure Skating will be the Capital Indoor Stadium. All four disciplines will take part : 30 participants in the singles events (ladies and men), 19 pair teams, and 23 ice dance teams. The selection of representatives is at the national governing body's discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Olympic committee announced their procedures for next winter.

Among them:
  • All athletes and Games participants who are fully vaccinated will enter the closed-loop management system upon arrival. Games participants who are not fully vaccinated will have to serve a 21-day quarantine upon arrival in Beijing.
Also, daily testing and tickets will only be sold to Chinese residents.

“Tickets will be sold exclusively to spectators residing in China’s mainland, who meet the requirements of the COVID-19 countermeasures.”

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some more info about the vaccination policy. Vaccines have to be recognised by WHO or related international organisations or approved officially by the countries or regions concerned.

FAejrokWUAEvzTs

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There has been some discussion about the schedule, especially about the Pairs being last - which is unusual but not unexpected with Pairs being China's best discipline so far. There also has been some discussion about the men's part in the Team event, that event being pretty close to the individual men's event and how that should be handled. I would refer to the US, Russian, and Japanese men's threads for more info (though I must warn you: there's a lot to read through with regard to strategies, skaters' choices and so on).

Ella339

On the Ice
There has been some discussion about the schedule, especially about the Pairs being last - which is unusual but not unexpected with Pairs being China's best discipline so far. There also has been some discussion about the men's part in the Team event, that event being pretty close to the individual men's event and how that should be handled. I would refer to the US, Russian, and Japanese men's threads for more info (though I must warn you: there's a lot to read through with regard to strategies, skaters' choices and so on).
I had missed all that, I'll try catching up when time allows. Thank you! :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait, is Beijing 12 or 13 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time? I'm trying to write down the times so I can be sure I can watch it live when I can.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
I am no catastrophist, but has the IOC figured out if everything is still good to go for the Olympics next year? I mean, if Cup of China and GPF were cancelled, who's to say Beijing won't be rescheduled, much less cancelled? Is there a back-up plan?

pearly

Record Breaker
Olympics are such a big task to organize that there is no back-up plan. Either it goes ahead or it's postponed/canceled. It can't be moved at this point.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If anyone have seen a schedule for different timezones, could you kindly share?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Along with a short statement about spectators on ABC news, they said China would be imposing new travel restrictions for athletes. That is all they said.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
The tweet doesn't say "no spectators." Spectators will be present, it's just that tickets won't be sold to the general public. It seems they are being given away to companies.

Essentially correct. Normally the local Olympic Committee will give a certain number of tickets to corporate sponsors, who then distribute them to their employees, affiliates, etc. However, if what happened in 2008 happens in 2022, many of those distributed tickets will end up not being used. And the sponsors will only get a part of would have been the total ticket allotment. In other words, the tickets that would have gone to the public sale are likely just not going to be distributed at all.

While it's too early to tell what the spectator count at the figure skating venue will be, suffice it to say that it will be relatively sparse, with both numbers of tickets limited and likely physical dispertion of the spectators throughout the arena. The venue, Capital Indoor Stadium, seats approx 18,000, but my guess is that permitted attendance will not be over 20% of that capacity. The figure skating, as with most of the other sports at these Games, are going to be largely a television event even in Beijing.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What about media people? How many can come? Commentators? Rules for them? Reports on the athletes are highlights of the games for us at home.

Ella339

On the Ice
A new schedule came out today: "With the approval of the International Olympic Committee(IOC), Beijing Organising Committee for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games released the final version competition schedule."
Only one big change at first glance: there is now a day between the Men's FS in the team event and the SP in the individual event. :)