Genuine figure skating friendships? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Genuine figure skating friendships?

Adjesusluvsu

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I feel like it’s not even worth putting on here because most people know it already, but I gotta put Yuzu and Javi there. I’ve never seen any kind of sports “rivalry” be such a supportive friendship. I think it’s rare for competitors to be deep friends, but I think Yuzu and Javi were. They had so much respect for the other. They even felt each other’s victories... anyway, I could go on more, but I probably should stop here! 🥰

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but I gotta put Yuzu and Javi there. I’ve never seen any kind of sports “rivalry” be such a supportive friendship.
That's because sadly, Josh and Jason's rivalry got cut short before either reached the height of their powers. 😭

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm not really sure that a genuine friendship is possible when there are many people and only one spot on top of the podium (or very few, in my case). It is possible to have respect for your opponents and even friendly interactions with some of them but I wouldn't call that "friendship".
I agree in as much as I think there is a difference of being 'mates' with your competitor, meaning they genuinely like each other and get on like a house on fire, even to the point of supporting each other in competition (e.g. Yuzu and Javi) and being 'real friends' in personal life, which entails a lot more of private interaction (Nam and Keegan, Klimov and Trankov or Klimov and Enbert).

It's a bit like in real life, the work mate/fellow student you enjoy a drink or share a hobby with and your best friends who are very close to you.
Mihal Brezina and Ondrej Hotarek, albeit no competitors on the ice, have a great personal friendship as well.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree in as much as I think there is a difference of being 'mates' with your competitor, meaning they genuinely like each other and get on like a house on fire, even to the point of supporting each other in competition (e.g. Yuzu and Javi) and being 'real friends' in personal life, which entails a lot more of personal interaction (Nam and Keegan, Klimov and Trankov or Klimov and Enbert).
I think this is very true.
For me, Aljona Savchenko and Meagan Duhamel are a great example of the first category, always supportive of each other (who can forget them at the 2018 Olympics!) and being openly happy when each other had success. They also often comment on each other's social media posts, whether being supportive/impressed by each other's skating or joking about their children appearing on the JGPs together when they're older.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu & Javi, Keegan & Nam, Michelle Kwan & Irina Slutskaya, Sean Rabbitt & Ricky Dornbush, Sean Rabbitt & Yaro Paniot (whom doesn't Sean get along with, :rofl:?)

I always got the sense that Todd & Elvis got along pretty well & certainly respected each other. I thought it was very touching how they interacted after Todd's 2002 Olympic free skate - Elvis was next to skate).

emmaleemochizuki

On the Ice
I actually just rewatched Zhenya's skate at the Olympics, and how Alina and Zhenya hugged each other straight after, I just don't think that was an act. Yes they were competitors on ice, but back home they train day in day out, and having had my own experience in gymnastics, those people that are competing against you they also understand you the most, they understand what is like to be at such an elite level, the difficulty you face, and it's not that unusual you become friends.

I think at the Channel One cup and leading up to it, the media deliberately scripted the drama, at the end of the day is a TV show, the more drama, the more viewers. And people love that kind of drama, to which I really don't understand.

Bringing up another Gymnastic reference. At 2008 Olympics Nastia and Shawn were against each other for the all around Gold. The media pressured them against each other, they were very good friends, but they were also teenagers, so very possibly got manipulated into the situation. For years after the Olympics they did not even talk to each other except an odd few times.

Now years from 2008, they are truly best friends. Shawn's channel featuring Nastia and vice versa is just so cute, and very genuine too. They wish the best for each other. Obviously the case is different, Nastia got the all around, Shawn got the balance beam gold too. But Zhenya will probably never make Olympic champion.

Still I don't understand why this sort of tension drama is necessary. Just let those girls be themselves, without all this media shit.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And one more in the Jason category, under the “personal friendship” category, he served as best man at the wedding of Grant Hochstein to Caroline Zhang. As well as Danny O’Shea in the wedding party. And Jason and Danny took Grant out for a boys weekend before his wedding.

to echo what was said about Sean, there is no one, in skating or on the planet, who Jason can’t be friends with:laugh:

khughes

On the Ice
I wonder if there's ever been a pairs skater or ice dancer whos dated a competitor. I swore I read about a case from a really long time ago but I might be making it up
I'm guessing you may be thinking of the mega ice dance Russian drama around '94! Maya Usova and her husband/partner, Alexandr Zhulin were the main competitors of Oksana Grishuk and Platov. Grishuk began an affair with Zhulin around the '94 Olympics which Grishuk won with Platov while wearing Zhulin's wedding ring around her neck (or something)! Usova and Zhulin got the silver (but the crowd only cared about Torvill and Dean, who clever Russian-favored judging condemned to the bronze.) The Russians could not look at each other at the awards, but they all hugged the Brits enthusiastically. It's funny to watch - I'm going to google it again, after writing this. Adding to the drama, the Russians had at one time shared a coach, who fired Grishuk, and Usova slammed Grishuk's head into a table at the restaurant, Spago (or something)! Then, the couples switched partners and the Usova/Platov combo beat Gruisuk/Zhulin at a competition. It was epic stuff that you couldn't make up! Someone else probably knows the outcome of all this. I know Grisuk moved to LA, thinking she might become the next Marilyn Monroe, and had to change her name in disgust because ignorant Americans kept thinking she was Oksana Baiul!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I always thought it was wonderful how superstars Yuzuru and Javier treated a young Nam Nguyen. Two big brothers pulling along the litttle guy. Keegan and Nam seem to be bros and welcomed Roman. Jason and EVgenia seemd to have a nice friendship. Gordeeva and G rinkov's friendship developed into l ove.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I may be wrong but it looked like Johnny Weir and Eugene Pluschenko were friends even during their competitive careers.

brakes

On the Ice
I think this is very true.
For me, Aljona Savchenko and Meagan Duhamel are a great example of the first category, always supportive of each other (who can forget them at the 2018 Olympics!) and being openly happy when each other had success. They also often comment on each other's social media posts, whether being supportive/impressed by each other's skating or joking about their children appearing on the JGPs together when they're older.
Interesting that Trankov consider Meagan Duhamel the most unpleasant rivals in his career. He brought up her name immediately, when asked about it in interview. I thought for a sec she is some kind of evil person. :pray::wink:

Also, Yulia Lipnitskaya and Elena Radionova. They've been rival since junior years, but they'd been going out sometimes (there are insta photos) and Yulia supported her publicly at competitions even before she ended her career. I remember her commentating some tourney with Lena and saying "Davai Lenka, zayka!" (Come on, Lenka, bunny!). They still hang out, now even in bigger numbers. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm guessing you may be thinking of the mega ice dance Russian drama around '94! Maya Usova and her husband/partner, Alexandr Zhulin were the main competitors of Oksana Grishuk and Platov. Grishuk began an affair with Zhulin around the '94 Olympics which Grishuk won with Platov while wearing Zhulin's wedding ring around her neck (or something)! Usova and Zhulin got the silver (but the crowd only cared about Torvill and Dean, who clever Russian-favored judging condemned to the bronze.) The Russians could not look at each other at the awards, but they all hugged the Brits enthusiastically. It's funny to watch - I'm going to google it again, after writing this. Adding to the drama, the Russians had at one time shared a coach, who fired Grishuk, and Usova slammed Grishuk's head into a table at the restaurant, Spago (or something)! Then, the couples switched partners and the Usova/Platov combo beat Gruisuk/Zhulin at a competition. It was epic stuff that you couldn't make up! Someone else probably knows the outcome of all this. I know Grisuk moved to LA, thinking she might become the next Marilyn Monroe, and had to change her name in disgust because ignorant Americans kept thinking she was Oksana Baiul!
:laugh: Ah, 90's ice dance was the best. Both newly formed teams competed and did shows on the North American Pro Circuit for years. Both Platov and Zhulin are coaches now.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Brian Orser more than once commented on the relationships of Javi and Yuzu. They do truly respect and support each other, and get along famously - yet they are not the type of friends who would hang together, go to get pizza or movies etc., because their life styles are completely different and I think it's quite accurate. IMO they are great teammates but I would stop short of classifying them as "genuine buddies".

Dogo

On the Ice
Adam Rippon & Mirai Nagasu, after going together through the journey to 2018 Olympics.

Madison Chock & Guillaume Cizeron, because have you seen them always playing and posing together after gala shows? 😍 Fashionable buddies goal!