Gilles and Poirier discuss 2019-20 Programs | Golden Skate

Gilles and Poirier discuss 2019-20 Programs

Ted strikes again. What an insightful interview.

This team always manages to come up with something totally unique and unexpected. I can't wait to see what they do with the classic Torvill and Dean piece. The use of lyrics should give it a fresh look right off the bat. "Big and in your face" as Paul puts it.

For the free, they will have a challenge to top Vincent. "Relationships that don't work out" is a tricky theme, but if anyone can pull it off with subtly and grace it is these two. It was an interesting comment by Paul that they had to work around the problem that there is no change of tempo in the Joni Mitchell song.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was an interesting comment by Paul that they had to work around the problem that there is no change of tempo in the the Joni Mitchelle song.

I'm very interested in seeing how they work this. The song, as it stands, isn't getting me excited yet, so I'm anxious to see their version!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am glad they are continuing this route of 'programs for the people', taking these 'ordinary' life issues, often not-so-glamorous & artsy, as inspiration and leading theme fir their programs.

Last season, they proved that material with deep meaning, layers of emotions, making a story of someone else our story to relate & relive is a worthy concept to take upon and challenge themselves with. I like that they are making these aims, challenges fir themselves, but not compromising over creativity, discovery & proving their point as a team.

I am not like a big fan of Joni Mitchell's music, but I like to get back to this particular song & its lyrics from time to time - to think & reflect on how irregular life & all things in it are; after last season, how personally attached I became to Vincent FD, I am ready to get attached again.

I think that pushing for customized arrangement of the music yet again will help them in tempo change issue, adding that personified touch & signature over the program and how we will see it, not only through the song's shape we know/can hear on YT etc.

Impromptu

On the Ice
I'm also curious about which version(s) of the song they will use and where the customized orchestrations will fit in. Mitchell's original version was accompanied with an acoustic guitar with a relatively slow tempo. Then over 30 years later, she re-recorded it with a full orchestration, and an even slower tempo, and sung in a lower tone of voice. If they use both versions, the contrast could be fascinating (and fit thematically).

Or maybe they'll throw in the peppier Judy Collins version (more people might be familiar with that one).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me three to see how they can pull this one off; none of the versions strike me as very ice dancey, but then, neither did Don McLean.

Amazing how this young team keeps going back to the 60s and 70s for music:)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm also curious about which version(s) of the song they will use and where the customized orchestrations will fit in.
They said in the interview that the new music is in the beginning, I believe, meant to serve as a prelude to "Both Sides Now".

Marjorie just posted a video snippet of the program on her Instagram where you can hear the music (and more briefly see the choreography, before the focus switches to Piper's new dog, heh).

I'm also curious about which version(s) of the song they will use and where the customized orchestrations will fit in. Mitchell's original version was accompanied with an acoustic guitar with a relatively slow tempo. Then over 30 years later, she re-recorded it with a full orchestration, and an even slower tempo, and sung in a lower tone of voice. If they use both versions, the contrast could be fascinating (and fit thematically).

That would be really cool, to use both versions somehow. Listening to both, the effect is that the old Joni Mitchell really has seen life from both sides now, while the young Joni makes you want to say, "You'll see."

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Is everybody's mind blown? :D Mine is!

Actually they've done Ella Fitzgerald and Alison Moyet so well already, that I am sure they can handle this free with the due sophistication too. They are really aiming to become the class of ice dance.

Oooh can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait

rain

Record Breaker
Mack and Mabel is a gutsy choice, as this is a Torvill and Dean classic. But I think it could be really great for them, and be different. I doubt anyone else is going to choose it for the rhythm dance.

I love Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell. I'm really looking forward to how they use the song. I always look forward to seeing this team's new programs, and this year I'm especially enthused. I really hope they can move up this year. I think they deserve to. The originality of their material, time after time, should count for something. An astonishing number of my favourite ice dance programs are from them, considering this is a team that's never been on the world podium.

Impromptu

On the Ice
They said in the interview that the new music is in the beginning, I believe, meant to serve as a prelude to "Both Sides Now".

Marjorie just posted a video snippet of the program on her Instagram where you can hear the music (and more briefly see the choreography, before the focus switches to Piper's new dog, heh).

Thanks! That's the Mitchell's full orchestration re-recorded version from 2000 (2001?).

Thanks! That's the Mitchell's full orchestration re-recorded version from 2000 (2001?).

I can't wait!

If they had gone with the 1970s version the theme could have been, "Oh well, a boyfriend is like a Greyhound bus. If you miss one, another will be along directly."

This one is actually riskier, IMHO.

The music at the beginning -- does anyone know what that is? I assume they did not hire an orchestra and compose something original. (That would be too cool -- not to mention expensive.)

Artemisa

Final Flight
I loved them ... They are one of few pairs who are originals ... who cares what music ... they make any program unique:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am very nervous about them using Mack & Mabel because the T&D is one of my top dances of all time. That, when it was nearly 40 years ago :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEgunvUYVg

This is from Europeans 1982.

I am glad they are using lyrics though. That will set their version apart in a good way from the T&D.

Thanks to Ted for a great interview!! :love:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I am very nervous about them using Mack & Mabel because the T&D is one of my top dances of all time. That, when it was nearly 40 years ago :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEgunvUYVg

This is from Europeans 1982.

I am glad they are using lyrics though. That will set their version apart in a good way from the T&D.

Thanks to Ted for a great interview!! :love:

OMG that's amazing to watch! Thanks, doris! And as you say, even more amazing to think it was 40 years ago...