Gold seal revolution blade length?!? | Golden Skate

Gold seal revolution blade length?!?

Modus_vivendi

Spectator
Hi!
New to the forum but have lurked for quite a while, finding answers to virtually all my questions, which is pretty great!
However, have searched quite extensively and not been able to find an answer to the following:
Are Gold seal revolutions supposed to have a shorter actual blade length for a given/nominal blade size? I recently changed my regular GS's for a pair of revolutions, both blades being size 8.75. While skating, I noticed that the blade felt shorter, which I initially ascribed to getting used to them. However, once I actually measured the blades, there's almost a whole centimetre difference in length (26,5 vs 27,3 cm) measured from just behind the drag toe pick to the end of the blade. I've looked on the JW website but can't find anything about the revolutions being shorter.
Anyone have any info on this, would be much appreciated!
Other than the shortness, and possibly a (perhaps imaginary) slight reduction in speed/ glide, I really like the revs.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry to disappoint, but I've not handled a traditional and a Rev GS side by side. In my experience, Wilson is slow in responding to email. You should get in touch with the shop that sold them to you. If you're in luck, they might have the two models in the same size and do a comparison measurement for you. If not, they should be able to get their distributor to do that.

The reason I suggest you do this is to find out whether the difference in length is a manufacturing defect [in which case, you want them swapped out pronto] or by design [in which case, Wilson is being sneaky by shaving off the tail on the Rev to save weight; but, since one of the distinguishing features of the GS is its long tail, you should have a legitimate carp and see if you can get it swapped for the traditional, if that's the case ... unless the lighter weight is more important than the longer tail for you, and you're willing to accept it as is].

Modus_vivendi

Spectator
Sorry to disappoint, but I've not handled a traditional and a Rev GS side by side. In my experience, Wilson is slow in responding to email. You should get in touch with the shop that sold them to you. If you're in luck, they might have the two models in the same size and do a comparison measurement for you. If not, they should be able to get their distributor to do that.

The reason I suggest you do this is to find out whether the difference in length is a manufacturing defect [in which case, you want them swapped out pronto] or by design [in which case, Wilson is being sneaky by shaving off the tail on the Rev to save weight; but, since one of the distinguishing features of the GS is its long tail, you should have a legitimate carp and see if you can get it swapped for the traditional, if that's the case ... unless the lighter weight is more important than the longer tail for you, and you're willing to accept it as is].
Thank you very much for taking your time! I'll get in touch with my tech and see what they say. It'd be a bit disappointing if they were trying to shave off weight by chopping the tail but otoh, that doesn't sound entirely unreasonable, read in another thread that the revs seem to have a smaller surface for sharpening than the traditional traditional GSs

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you very much for taking your time! I'll get in touch with my tech and see what they say. It'd be a bit disappointing if they were trying to shave off weight by chopping the tail but otoh, that doesn't sound entirely unreasonable, read in another thread that the revs seem to have a smaller surface for sharpening than the traditional traditional GSs
Yes, please report back what you find. I'd be very interested. Let's not speculate for now. But, to me, chopping off the tail by a cm would be entirely unreasonable; in particular, skaters like you who already have experience with the traditional GS (in contrast to skaters who are switching from an entirely different blade) would have a right to be outraged.

I have the Paramount version of the GS, complete with long tail. When I'm drilling on back maneuvers, my coach always shouts out, "Lean back! You have a long blade! Use all of it!" I'd be really ticked if I swapped blades to what I thought was a nominal equivalent, leaned back ... and flopped over because the tail was a cm shorter.

Modus_vivendi

Spectator
Ok, my tech is still waiting to hear back from JW but a friend who also recently switched from regular P99s to Revolutions noticed that although the new blades are 9.75, they're only a mm or so longer than her old blades which are size 9.5.
So I guess the solution to this would be to size up 1 if changing from conventional JWs to revs... 😬😬
To me it seems a bit strange that the shortened blade length isn't mentioned anywhere...