GP/JGP Final cancelled for 2021-22 season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP/JGP Final cancelled for 2021-22 season

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Unfortunate, but really the only proper decision to make now.

I agree with holding Nationals, but really need to think twice about holding the other international events in this environment. And yes, that includes the Olympics.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Except putting it off to the end of the season for the juniors would have allowed the time to actually ensure safe conduct of the event and there would have been no rushing. With the final cancelled, JGP loses its main pay off. There are reasons why GP/JGP exists, because it has a different selection pool than the second half of the season competitions, allowing for a different dynamic and approach. Both halves of the season balance each other out. If the focus moves to only preserving JWC/Eu/4CC/WC at the expense of GP, then per country restrictions would become more limiting than inviting.

Seniors events are great, but there will be no seniors in a few years if junior division continues to lose international competitions.

Anyway, I feel for and worried the most about the junior skaters with all the cancellations.
i don't think seniors events are at risk because the juniors events were canceled this time around... btw... GPF is also canceled.. Skaters will focus on training and nationals and will be ready when competitions resume. If I were the parent of a 15 year old expected to travel all across the world to compete in these conditions, I would certainly not let that happen...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Juniors will still move up to Seniors, them missing a freaking competition or more this season won't change that.

I feel worse for the Seniors who had one more shot at a GPF medal before they retire, and will now lose that chance because of cancellations.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Juniors will still move up to Seniors, them missing a freaking competition or more this season won't change that.

I feel worse for the Seniors who had one more shot at a GPF medal before they retire, and will now lose that chance because of cancellations.
They have 3 more competitions this year, and Olympics, for better or worse, is their biggest thing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They have 3 more competitions this year, and Olympics, for better or worse, is their biggest thing.
And Juniors have a whole career in front of them. As a former elite myself trust me, it's worse when you know you are going to retire not when you're a junior.

Besides, not all seniors go to Olympics and 3 more competitions this year.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And Juniors have a whole career in front of them. As a former elite myself trust me, it's worse when you know you are going to retire not when you're a junior.

Besides, not all seniors go to Olympics and 3 more competitions this year.
Neither do all juniors go to JWC. I chose to feel for juniors 😅