GP Meeting 6/30 postponed to Mid-July | Golden Skate

GP Meeting 6/30 postponed to Mid-July

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Per Phil Hersh, the GP selection meeting scheduled to start tomorrow has had to be rescheduled to mid July because a venue for the final GP event hasn't been finalized.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Apparently Espoo won the bid for Rostelecom, beating out Estonia, but they can't find an alternate CoC venue so it will likely be either one of the other host countries or Estonia

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Apparently Espoo won the bid for Rostelecom, beating out Estonia, but they can't find an alternate CoC venue so it will likely be either one of the other host countries or Estonia
Fingers crossed for it going to Vegas. The Orleans is a good setup & the location makes as much sense as Europe. And the CofC Nov date wouldn't detract from SA.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU was hoping for an Asian replacement, but hasn't had any takers. Korea declined.

Did Phil report on this, or is this news from somewhere else?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can understand the lack of interest in hosting: pairs field is very depleted, no 2022 OGMs on the circuit...

Actually, this would be a great time for Korea to host, as their skaters have great chances at medals. My understanding is that South Korea has never stepped up for an Asian GP, no matter what kind of field was skating.

Still looking for confirmation that they actually were asked and declined, though (not saying it's not out there, just that I am looking for it. :) )

Amei

Record Breaker
Actually, this would be a great time for Korea to host, as their skaters have great chances at medals. My understanding is that South Korea has never stepped up for an Asian GP, no matter what kind of field was skating.

Still looking for confirmation that they actually were asked and declined, though (not saying it's not out there, just that I am looking for it. :) )

Might be a decent time in terms of getting medals, but part of hosting (for any country, I wasn't specifically talking S. Korea) is a financial cost, they would be looking at their ability to recoup costs - sure some local fans might show but depleted fields and lack of name recognition for athletes can really hurt getting attendance and/or tv viewership.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Might be a decent time in terms of getting medals, but part of hosting (for any country, I wasn't specifically talking S. Korea) is a financial cost, they would be looking at their ability to recoup costs - sure some local fans might show but depleted fields and lack of name recognition for athletes can really hurt getting attendance and/or tv viewership.
Cha is popular in South Korea and they have several good ladies. I think it would be great for them. If not, Estonia deserves it with all they did in the current season.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Who isn't there? Many pairs? Russian ladies?

Korean TV and sponsorship does not depend on pairs or on Russian ladies. Nor does attendance at their events.

This would be a wonderful way to highlight the accomplished Korean skaters, but from what I understand as an outsider, they do not do a good job promoting their own skaters.

With all due respect to our friends who would like Vegas, I do hope that wherever the sixth GP is scheduled, it's not the US. Spread the wealth. :)

Amei

Record Breaker
Who isn't there? Many pairs? Russian ladies?

Korean TV and sponsorship does not depend on pairs or on Russian ladies. Nor does attendance at their events.

This would be a wonderful way to highlight the accomplished Korean skaters, but from what I understand as an outsider, they do not do a good job promoting their own skaters.

With all due respect to our friends who would like Vegas, I do hope that wherever the sixth GP is scheduled, it's not the US. Spread the wealth. :)

Well considering the ISU has had to move back the GP announcements signifies there is some kind of problem.

And who's not on the GP circuit based off memory: none of the pairs Olympic podium, none of the ice dance podium, 2 of the 3 from the ladies podium, 1 of the ladies podium finishers from worlds, the OGM for men. Multiple other seeded skaters that aren't going to be on the circuit. Pairs I've seen remarks concerned that they might not have enough teams with the minimums to fill out the field.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
South Korea didn't even make a bid for the CoC event. It well may be a financial problem, as South Korea lost their major sponsor right after the Olympics.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ISU was hoping for an Asian replacement, but hasn't had any takers. Korea declined.
Petition for Sydney to get it!

According to the Australian Figure Skating Fed they were blindsided by the loss of the 4CCs.

Our entry rules are pretty lenient now so nobody is going to be locked down. As long as you test negative to the 'Rona and have a vaccination certificate you can come in.

Justice for Down Under Figure Skating Fans!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Petition for Sydney to get it!

According to the Australian Figure Skating Fed they were blindsided by the loss of the 4CCs.

Our entry rules are pretty lenient now so nobody is going to be locked down. As long as you test negative to the 'Rona and have a vaccination certificate you can come in.

Justice for Down Under Figure Skating Fans!

That is way better idea than Vegas. Closer to the Asian feds than any other option that appears open.

Cup of Australia:hap10:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mildly surprised that Taiwan didn't pick up CoC.

They've hosted 4CC, right?

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Well considering the ISU has had to move back the GP announcements signifies there is some kind of problem.

And who's not on the GP circuit based off memory: none of the pairs Olympic podium, none of the ice dance podium, 2 of the 3 from the ladies podium, 1 of the ladies podium finishers from worlds, the OGM for men. Multiple other seeded skaters that aren't going to be on the circuit. Pairs I've seen remarks concerned that they might not have enough teams with the minimums to fill out the field.
Oh, boy. That must be the weakest GP field ever. :slink: As a pair enthusiast, I´m only looking forward for Russian competitions next season :(

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is way better idea than Vegas. Closer to the Asian feds than any other option that appears open.

Cup of Australia:hap10:
In the thread about 4CCs, I had suggested Sydney for CofC as a bit of a makeup.
I suggested Vegas in this thread only because it seems that anything closer to Asia already has been ruled out. A choice of Sydney wouldn’t require the GP meeting to be moved to mid-July.

Status
Not open for further replies.