GP Scores Question | Golden Skate

GP Scores Question

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I have a question that has been on my mind and I don't see a logical explanation:

If the panel of judges at a GP event is composed of people from different countries each, why are skaters who skate on home ice expected to score more than on foreign ice? Do international judges go: "Oh, we're in (example) France and this skater is from France, so I'll be generous..."
Is this really a thing, because if so, I find it very peculiar. 🙂
I get it at last year's GPs when not all judges could travel and the diversity in regions was not there, but at a normal GP season, I don't really get it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I have a question that has been on my mind and I don't see a logical explanation:

If the panel of judges at a GP event is composed of people from different countries each, why are skaters who skate on home ice expected to score more than on foreign ice? Do international judges go: "Oh, we're in (example) France and this skater is from France, so I'll be generous..."
Is this really a thing, because if so, I find it very peculiar. 🙂
I get it at last year's GPs when not all judges could travel and the diversity in regions was not there, but at a normal GP season, I don't really get it.
It's just the way how things work in sport. It is not that judges will always and purposely judge in a favor of home athletes, but in some situations when judges are not sure about their decisions, which are happening in a sport game/performance, they will give home athletes/team benefit of a doubt. I guess it's a thank you for the host country for organizing competition and give them a job :biggrin: It is also the fact that audience is involved in a game/performance and by cheering more/being more involved in their home athletes can make judges to boost their scores/judge in their favor in uncertain situations.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
It is not that judges will always and purposely judge in a favor of home athletes,
This is what I also think.
And the big cheering is something to be expected by everyone. It happens to non-local athletes who are very popular as well. Someone like Yuzuru Hanyu can be cheered the same or even more than a local athlete for example. But I guess with skaters like Hanyu or Chen the judging in uncertain situations is in favor of the skater by default, no matter the location, based on reputation alone.