Grand Prix France cancelled | Golden Skate

Grand Prix France cancelled

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
The ISU was informed of the cancellation of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Internationaux de France, that was scheduled to take place from November 13-15, 2020 in Grenoble (FRA).

Following the announcement from the French President Emmanuel Macron on October 14, 2020 to put in place a curfew in the Grenoble area and in consultation with the City of Grenoble, the FFSG made the difficult decision to cancel the event. They closely monitored the health authorities position on COVID-19 but given the evolution of the health crisis and their prudence for the health and safety of the athletes, coaches, officials, and volunteers, the appropriate course of action was for the FFSG to cancel the event.

The ISU regrets that the hosting of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Internationaux de France is no longer viable and thanks the FFSG for their continued effort and support.

Source:
https://isu.org/isu-news/news/125-g...ationaux-de-france-cancelled?templateParam=15

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
too bad, but inevitable.

all over Europe, positive test results are daily breaking records, and hospitalisations are on a sharp increase

people are more and more indifferent of keeping themselves and other people safe

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I am bummed by this announcement though I understand and support the reasoning behind it. The pandemic will likely get worse during the cold months before it gets better again. Covid could rob a whole generation of figure skaters of their big championship medals. Just imagine if worlds would have to be cancelled again this season, there goes another chance for Sasha, Anna and Aliona. Who would have thought two years ago, that none of these girls would ever be world champion? Next year there will be the likes of Kamila, Dasha, and many other up and coming Juniors to contend with.
Please don't get me wrong, cancelling big events is the only sensible thing to do right now, still it makes me feel kind of melancholy to think of all the wasted chances for these girls and guys who trained for years to reach their prime and now are deprived of their chance to win the big ones.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aww, that’s sad. Also was looking forward to it, but given the situation, it is unlikely that many other competitions will go ahead.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Understandable - I've been following the Covid numbers in the European countries, and there really is nothing to be optimistic about. They're on the rise - sometimes exponentially - all around. France is terribly stricken. It's still a bummer though because I was really looking forward to this event.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
add rising social unrest, terrorist threats ...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am bummed by this announcement though I understand and support the reasoning behind it. The pandemic will likely get worse during the cold months before it gets better again. Covid could rob a whole generation of figure skaters of their big championship medals. Just imagine if worlds would have to be cancelled again this season, there goes another chance for Sasha, Anna and Aliona.

Most skaters we consider very successful had their strongest results over a two year period. Kristi, Oksana, and Tara would have no World or Olympic medals if they lost their two strongest seasons, while Yuna Kim would have just one World title and one Olympic medal.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Does anyone else keep hearing Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" when they see these threads?

This was expected. I do wonder about the other ones.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I know that maybe i am the only one but i think it is not understandable at all. How French GP is different to held than Nebelhotn Trophy or Budapest? What is the diffrence to held French Open tournament in Tennis or bicycle competition? I know that ISU already bought tickets to teams and they even changed the timetables to be ready earlier. So i really dont understand! Poor skaters, coaches, parents.... i must say that i an really happy that next Worlds will be organized by swedish! They have different view to this flue....and i support it with two hands!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Off topic, but did you notice the disproportionally high amount of people with cat pictures as their avatars in this thread? Currently three cats (four if you count ladyjane's two) versus just two skaters :laugh:

At one time we had a thread in LeCafe for everyone with cat avatars. When I first joined GS, I had one of my kitties as an avatar before switching to Toller so I participated. Another thread could be started ;)

Back to the topic at hand, so bummed. No Deniss. No Kévin. And of course, in other news, no Jason.

I understand why, just sorry not to see my favs.:cry:

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dogs rule and cats drool. :=) Trying to keep my sense of humor. So sad about IdF. Also had been scheduled to leave tomorrow for Skate America. 😢

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Off topic, but did you notice the disproportionally high amount of people with cat pictures as their avatars in this thread? Currently three cats (four if you count ladyjane's two) versus just two skaters :laugh:

I wasn't going to post in here after what happened in the Canadian thread, but I feel it is my duty to even up the numbers by adding two more skaters! :)

I know that maybe i am the only one but i think it is not understandable at all. How French GP is different to held than Nebelhotn Trophy or Budapest? What is the diffrence to held French Open tournament in Tennis or bicycle competition? I know that ISU already bought tickets to teams and they even changed the timetables to be ready earlier. So i really dont understand! Poor skaters, coaches, parents.... i must say that i an really happy that next Worlds will be organized by swedish! They have different view to this flue....and i support it with two hands!

I'm not sure where you are, but things are getting worse every day in Europe. Northern Ireland, where I am, went into a "circuit breaker" lockdown on Friday.

I for one was amazed that any of the sporting events you mentioned were allowed to happen.

As for Sweden, the reason that they are doing things differently is for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is the way the virus behaves. The virus spreads faster in densely populated areas. Sweden isn't densely populated; it is a big country with a small population. So, it is harder for it to spread there than it is in other European countries, which are far more densely populated.

Then there is the attitudes of the people. A few weeks ago, a local investigative programme interviewed a woman from NI who lives in Sweden. And she explained that there is no need to bring in laws there to make people socially distance, as they tend to keep the required distance apart normally. Plus, Swedes generally do what they are asked. So, the government doesn't need to force the people to do things by bringing in laws; they just need to ask them nicely to do them. And that is certainly not the case in other parts of Europe!

CaroLiza_fan