Grand Prix France cancelled | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix France cancelled

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Hiding in your room and canceling everything only stretches out the spread and causes profound economic and societal hardships that are life altering for many. Too many people let fear control them.
Couldn't have said it better.
What about all the people who will die of hunger/disease related to it because of the economic impact of all this hiding, like studies and analysis suggest? It's easy to be all for lockdowns and the like when you have the privilege to be in a first world country or to work from home.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about all the people who will die of hunger/disease related to it because of the economic impact of all this hiding, like studies and analysis suggest? It's easy to be all for lockdowns and the like when you have the privilege to be in a first world country or to work from home.
I'm so tired of hearing work from home. I know few people that are that lucky, and I'm not one of them. Retail, hotel, restaurants, manufacturing, warehouse and lower level office workers, etc are not lucky.

Flagstaff

Rinkside
I know that maybe i am the only one but i think it is not understandable at all. How French GP is different to held than Nebelhotn Trophy or Budapest?

At the time Nebelhorn and Budapest Trophies were held, Oberstdorf and Budapest were not C0vid hotspots as Grenoble is right now. Although it was not located in a hotpsot, Nebelhorn was held behind closed doors. A regular competition like Budapest Trophy or a Challenger Serie like Nebelhorn do not muster as many people as a GP.

What is the diffrence to held French Open tournament in Tennis or bicycle competition?

They are held outdoors.
In France they fit into the category of "professional sports", figure skating does not.
They generate huge amounts of money thru TV rights. Figure skating does not. Wealthy federations can provide a reasonably safe environment for their athletes with particular isolating structures like private cloackrooms, tunnels, etc. At Patinoire Pôle Sud in Grenoble, if the arena itself is wide and big, and would certainly have been empty of any audience other than medias, the backstage part (which is underground) is not. Cloakroms are small with no isolation possible. We step on each others each time we have to go down the stairs or walk around corridors/halls. The mixed zone is a tiny room, immediately crowded if there is more than 2 skaters in. It's all OK for a normal GP, we have seen much worse in other cities/countries, but with C0vid, it'd been very difficult to provide safety for everyone.

Last edited:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
For those posters suggesting just letting the virus run its course, consider this:
and if you're comfortable condemning part of your population to death for your own convenience.
You can still enforce to (and) wear a mask, have social distancing, and sanitary measures without lockdowns, cancellations, and therefore economic damage and other downsides. It's not "letting the virus run its course and condemning part of our population to death for our own convenience."
I could be here copy-paste-ing articles in favor of my point too, but I won't. Even immunologists have their opinions divided.

Flagstaff

Rinkside
The night curfew in France runs from 21:00 to 06:00 every night. Initially, the organizers of the French GP event initially moved the time schedules to finish off competitions by 21:00. I thought that was not good enough because skaters could be fined after 21:00 while they are going back to their hotels.

No, they could not have been fined. It is still possible to move along from a point A to a point B in Grenoble with a dispensation, and every single person competing or working around the competition would have had one. A GP doesn't involve only skaters, their entourage and I.S.U staff + medias, but also regular staff at the rink, volunteers, ice technicians and so on. These people were not going to sleep at the rink :) During GP, skaters are staying in a Mercure hotel downtown and are driven back and forth by private shuttles that would have been allowed to circulate too. All this was not the biggest problem, nor was the schedule that had been modified. The main reason for the cancelation is the impossibility to comply with some of the restrictions inside the rink + the fact the whole city is full of people positive to Covid-19. Most of them are not sick and are asymptomatic but they are contagious. No one felt like sending a skater or anyone else at home with the crud...

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Eli would not approve of some of the posts in this thread. Bella (the golden lab) would just be sad at the anti dog talk.
Oh no, please don't be sad Bella and Eli! All the kitties in this thread are very inclusive and wouldn't appreciate any anti-dog talk :pray:Anyway, so as not to derail this thread any further, I will take el henry's advice and start a pet avatar thread over in Le Café. Doggies, moggies, and all other pets (@Jeanie19: especially figure skating-loving bunnies) are welcome there.

Back on topic: I am especially disappointed not to see Miriam and Severin at IdF. I missed them at Nebelhorn, where most of the other Austrian National team members competed, but figured their programs were probably not ready yet. Now I am not sure if they will compete this season at all :cry:

Country
Norway

So we should just ignore the fact that hospital beds are filling up again with Covid-19 patients? Hospitals several places in Europe are again struggling, it could even get worse because people are tired of measures and most countries don´t want to go back to full lockdown. In the Czech Republic they are starting to build a field hospital in Prague now.

We are back to situation where we have to flatten the curve because of hospitals are being filled up with patiens. It doesn´t really matter if the young once doesn´t really get sick or if they are having the mild cases. When they get the virus they can transmit it to others and it leads to a more uncontrolled spread and in the end it reaches the more vulnerable groups. This is what causes the health care to collapse. When the health system collapses, it also affects all other patiens being treated for other things as well.

France have had mild measures for a long time, but the numbers are just getting worse and so are the number of people being admitted to the hospital. Because of that they have come to the situation where more strict measures in necessary. I doubt they really wanted to do this unless the situation wasn´t critical. I fully support the decision to cancel GP.

Lockdowns or not, the economic is suffering anyways. There are studies also about how lockdowns works and that they can be better for the economics. Lockdowns in shorter periods effectively slow the infection, and makes it´s possible to come back to a more normal life faster, instead of choosing measures which makes the pandemic last much longer. And by the last approach, which are based much on recommendations and the individuals self-efforts, it´s much harder to get the wished effect and when the situation gets bad enough lockdowns have to be done anyway.

Last edited:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
when the situation gets bad enough lockdowns have to be done anyway.
And then we have Sweden, and I think also Belarus.
People can say Sweden has little population or whatever, but percentages are per population number there and in any part of the world.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many people have to work during the lockdown, so that doesn't work that good either. My husband and I go to work and grocery shop once a week, that's it. Very little socializing. There is not one answer for this pandemic.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Right. I'm tired of people on this forum trying to imply that we're some kind of monsters who don't care about other people's lives for our convenience just because we don't agree with cancellations and other measures relating to the world situation right now. Just saying.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
You can still enforce to (and) wear a mask, have social distancing [...]
Just curious: how do you enforce masks when you have people telling you 'I have a heart/respiratory disease, I can't breathe in it'? I hear it almost every time I ask a person on the bus to kindly put on a mask(!) or cover their nose. I am quite afraid of these people with whom I have to spend about 15 minutes in a cramped space which is long enough to get infected, and the driver doesn't give a hoot about it. Never seen a policeman on my bus either. I am terrified every day I need to commute (fortunately not every workday) - not for myself but for my family in which there are high risk group people.

Country
Norway
And then we have Sweden, and I think also Belarus.
People can say Sweden has little population or whatever, but percentages are per population number there and in any part of the world.

Interesting that you should mention Sweden. In Norway we don´t consider Swedens strategy to have worked very well. Sweden choose to not have strict measures in the beginning of the pandemic, Norway and the rest of the nordic countries were "closed down" (not as strict as other countries) from mid March and carefully started to open again about one month later. Sweden have almost have 6000 deaths (58,6 per 100,000 inhabitants), Norway 278 (5,2 per inhabitants). Sweden is the country with the 12. highest mortality rate due to corona in the world. The mortality rate is eleven times higher than Norway.

In Norway we had the numbers under control long before summer, first in August Sweden numbers dropped to "safe levels".

And the consequences of the economics? Sweden is doing worse. They had the most decline in the economic compared to Norway, Denmark and Finland.

Now Sweden is the country in Scandinavia which have the fastes growing rate of new cases. So they are not done.

Sweden have the highest mortality rates, and the severest economic downturn from the Scandinavian countries. The only reason Sweden is looking good on a European level, is that there are so many countries doing far worse. It´s also a big misunderstanding that Sweden is doing so great "without" measures, which has been used as an argument for not using lockdown. Sweden had the same consistent measures since March, until 2 weeks ago, for example only meetings with 50 people, regardless of event, and no visitors in nursing home and also other set off basic rules.

Going into the second possible wave now, the Swedish government doesn´t necessary think that the earlier approach will do now and they consider more strict measures. For now they start with just recommendations, but already today the have strongly recommended Uppsala to not use public transportation, use home office, not meet anybody social outside your household, not have any social gatherings. They are advising only to have small numbers of people at work space and sport arenas and so on. This aren´t ban, but the new recommendations aren´t far from a lockdown.

In Norway we general have very few restrictions now, because the ones we are using are working. And we also use stricter restrictions where it´s necessary. For example in the capital now, face mask is required in public transporation and bars have to close early.

We among some other countries, are we use a pro-active strategy, we rather intervene too early than too late, so we don´t have the need for long-lasting lockdowns. For now. The measures we had earlier in March was necessary then, to get control over the situation, to get knowledge of the virus and measures, to procure PPI.

But if the situation changes, more strict measures would be necessary. It is important to point out that one countrys measures will not work for others. And obviously a lot of countries in Europe now can´t control the spread with most basic measures, and therefor lockdowns are necessary to get the situation under control.

As for Belarus, I don´t have any knowledge of the measures or situation there.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
For those posters suggesting just letting the virus run its course, consider this:
and if you're comfortable condemning part of your population to death for your own convenience.
I have news for you. We are all condemned to death from the day we are born. The key is to make the most of what time you get. Taking the best years of a young persons life is the biggest crime here. Most of the pro lockdown crowd has already had their fun or are incapable of enjoying themselves in social settings. The overwhelming majority of deaths are over 70 with multiple comorbidities. That is called dying of old age. Again, fear is the real enemy here. On top of that, hiding is counterproductive, it extends the duration of the pandemic. Until your immune system fights it off you will be vulnerable, and the virus isn't going anywhere until then.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Just curious: how do you enforce masks when you have people telling you 'I have a heart/respiratory disease, I can't breathe in it'? I hear it almost every time I ask a person on the bus to kindly put on a mask(!) or cover their nose. I am quite afraid of these people with whom I have to spend about 15 minutes in a cramped space which is long enough to get infected, and the driver doesn't give a hoot about it. Never seen a policeman on my bus either. I am terrified every day I need to commute (fortunately not every workday) - not for myself but for my family in which there are high risk group people.
So you're saying we should all stay locked inside our homes and cancel everything because there are people not following the law? Where I'm from they're fining people left and right if they don't wear masks. And, from what I'm able to observe, most are wearing them, 99%.
People get COVID from private parties at home and such, not a sport event like a GP this year. For real now.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have news for you. We are all condemned to death from the day we are born. The key is to make the most of what time you get. Taking the best years of a young persons life is the biggest crime here. Most of the pro lockdown crowd has already had their fun or are incapable of enjoying themselves in social settings. The overwhelming majority of deaths are over 70 with multiple comorbidities. That is called dying of old age. Again, fear is the real enemy here. On top of that, hiding is counterproductive, it extends the duration of the pandemic. Until your immune system fights it off you will be vulnerable, and the virus isn't going anywhere until then.
Holy Cow Dude.. you just said the quiet part out loud.

As someone who is likely in your "you should die for my social life" group (not because of age but because a compromised immune system) I'm going to say it to you: It's pretty callous that you seem to think the life of someone who is older or disabled is worth less than the life of a young healthy person.

Frankly I'm actually horrified by this opinion. My dad is 83 and has dementia. His life is precious. It is precious to me and to my step mother. Just because someone is old or sick does not mean they should give up their lives so you can watch a goddamn skating event. What kind of messed up crap is that?