Grand Prix France cancelled | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix France cancelled

Flagstaff

Rinkside
Does that concern the local governments, which the original post was referring to? I don't think that helps their tax coffers at all.
I don't think so but I don't live in Nevada... I assume the only thing that could have brought money to the governing bodies coffers would have been an audience. Tickets sales are usually the only money which is distributed locally.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Zanadude: I meant sporting events in general. Governments want them to run. They want us to go to work. Shut downs and lock downs are no governments first choices because they need the tax revenue.

Skate Canada would have been a big money maker for Ottawa (tickets, hotels, hospitality) and I'm sure, under normal circumstances, the government would have wanted it to run without restrictions.

I don't think anyone here expected the 2nd wave to hit so quickly. But the goal has always been to keep the schools open and people going to work and every other event is sacrificial on that alter.

Last edited:

Sabine

On the Ice
Zanadude: I meant sporting events in general. Governments want them to run. They want us to go to work. Shut downs and lock downs are no governments first choices because they need the tax revenue.

Skate Canada would have been a big money maker for Ottawa (tickets, hotels, hospitality) and I'm sure, under normal circumstances, the government would have wanted it to run without restrictions.

I don't think anyone here expected the 2nd wave to hit so quickly. But the goal has always been to keep the schools open and people going to work and every other event is sacrificial on that alter.
There are a lot of people who make their money with sporting events. They want to do their job as well as others. It is not that this is unnecessary. So cut off spectators if you need to, but run the events (maybe in areas with a lesser population than in big cities). I feel so sorry for these young people who have dedicated their childhood and youth to the sport and are not able to fulfil their dreams. They have a job as well. It must be so hard to practice for a competition and then...nothing. And how are you able to motivate yourself to work for the next possibility you don't even know if it will take place. Competition is an essential part of sport, online competitions are not equal, so no option at all. I'm sure it is not easy to find ways to get permission to run events of the local authorities, but other sports have shown ist is possible and I hope they'll find ways to give the athletes what they need.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There are a lot of people who make their money with sporting events. They want to do their job as well as others. It is not that this is unnecessary. So cut off spectators if you need to, but run the events (maybe in areas with a lesser population than in big cities). I feel so sorry for these young people who have dedicated their childhood and youth to the sport and are not able to fulfil their dreams. They have a job as well. It must be so hard to practice for a competition and then...nothing. And how are you able to motivate yourself to work for the next possibility you don't even know if it will take place. Competition is an essential part of sport, online competitions are not equal, so no option at all. I'm sure it is not easy to find ways to get permission to run events of the local authorities, but other sports have shown ist is possible and I hope they'll find ways to give the athletes what they need.
Yes. I understand the impact on people who rely on sporting events to make a living. It is very sad. The problems are, as I see it, travel and the fact that if they allow this event to run smaller events will also want to be allowed to run and they probably don't have the infrastructure to insure safety protocols are followed.
Toronto and Montreal have been very hard hit and most of the skaters are coming from those locations. There are also quarantine implications.
Smaller tournaments like peewee hockey, curling would also have to be allowed to run and are they equipped to safely run their competitions.

Our chief medical officer just today said that there are multiple outbreaks that can be attributed to sports teams (hockey I think). It's a problem here because so many of these things are run by volunteers or parents and there is a limit to how much extra work you can ask your volunteers to do. I used to run a scout group and had to manage volunteers. There is limit to what you can ask and when you think of all the extra protocols I doubt you'd get compliance.

I wish Skate Canada and the French GP were happening but I trust our medical officers and that they are doing what is necessary to protect our vulnerable population and keep most businesses and schools open.

jesslv74

Rinkside
Whoa, I had no idea that Grand Prix events (or any for that matter) were being held this year. I used to be subscribed to a figure skating pass on NBC Sports Gold that aired all of the events, but it has since been changed. That is how I got notified as to when events were going to take place, but it has since been changed. I just happened to find out about the events when I got this forum's email updates. How can I find out about upcoming events?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
People seem to not realize that you can't hide from a virus. They don't just disappear and we don't have cures for viruses. Flu comes back every year. Eventually your immune system has to defeat it. Fortunately a healthy immune system is effective against Covid. It is devastating for immune compromised people, but actually less dangerous than some flus to healthy people, particularly the young. In regards to Japan, the reason they have low number of positive tests is because they do not test very much compared to other countries. The difference is that Japan has very few deaths because their elderly are generally thin and healthy, unlike the US where obesity is widespread. Hiding in your room and canceling everything only stretches out the spread and causes profound economic and societal hardships that are life altering for many. Too many people let fear control them.

I'm not so sure we can make generalizations about this current virus. There have been plenty of reported cases of healthy people taken down. Whether or not their immune systems were vulnerable at the time or not is probably unknown. There's so much we don't know about this virus.

As I said in another thread, I think the sport's leadership should be taking this opportunity to rethink a lot of issues in the sport, including how competitions are put together and covered. There's no way to predict that business as usual will ever be our normal again. In other words, brainstorm new solutions and back-up plans and contingencies. Work together and bring many fresh voices and creative expertise on board. Stop thinking that things as we were used to will ever be the same again.

Sports commentators on NBC were talking recently about horse racing and how the Triple Crown scheduling was turned on its head due to the pandemic. And now there is talk of maybe rethinking the scheduling because nothing about the horses or the industry is the same as it was during the late 19th and early 20th centuries when the Triple Crown had its initial beginnings (though it wasn't known by that name in the beginning). Horses are bred differently today and its not good for them to compete in grueling races two weeks apart (Kentucky Derby and Preakness). That's why so many trainers & owners tend to have their horses skip the Preakness. And it's also why winning the Triple Crown was extremely elusive over several decades before the recent wins of Justify and American Pharoah. Possibly, and hopefully, the industry might move the Preakness to the end of May, and move the Belmont to the end of June or early July. It would be so much better for the horses of today and in turn for that sport.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hopefully, Skate America manages to keep everyone safe. The bubble protocols are very strict and are most likely only possible to implement at a venue like this where you have both the hotel and arena in one place. There are dedicated elevator doors that only open up at the skaters' floor then straight to the arena etc. The hotel floor is dedicated to officials only.

It's probably the only way you can keep people completely isolated. Bubbles (someone mentioned the NBA) can be effective but these measures are expensive and it would be difficult for all organizing countries to pull this off.

I haven't heard specifics about the safety precautions being taken, but I heard in general that U.S. figure skating made plans ahead of time with safety in mind for Skate America in Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing this information about the 'bubbles' and other precautions.

I too pray everyone stays safe. I think it was a good idea that U.S. figure skating got a jump start on virtual competitions during the summer, to see what works and what doesn't in moving forward. Apparently, the fed has also been working behind-the-scenes to figure out the best way to put in-person competitions together that can keep participants safe and still allow skaters to compete. It's important for everyone to be safe, but it's also necessary to keep skaters motivated and able to stay engaged and hopeful. We don't know how long the pandemic battle will continue, so safe solutions for pushing forward in new ways with former activities is very important. It's essential for every sport, every field of endeavor, every individual, and of course for the health of our domestic and global economies.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I am watching a gymnastics competition now, and every 10 minutes there are announcements being made about keeping distance in the stands, wearing masks in the stands, off the carpet etc.. Already twice there has been a warning issued the competition will be stopped when people disobey the rules.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I haven't heard specifics about the safety precautions being taken, but I heard in general that U.S. figure skating made plans ahead of time with safety in mind for Skate America in Las Vegas. ...

Wait, what?

You had started a thread to ask about Skate America safety protocols, and specifics have been discussed in your thread since two weeks ago.

Too bad that you have not been paying attention to your own thread. :(

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure we can make generalizations about this current virus. There have been plenty of reported cases of healthy people taken down. Whether or not their immune systems were vulnerable at the time or not is probably unknown. There's so much we don't know about this virus.

plenty of healthy people die from the garden variety flu every year.

Joekaz

On the Ice

As I said in another thread, I think the sport's leadership should be taking this opportunity to rethink a lot of issues in the sport, including how competitions are put together and covered. There's no way to predict that business as usual will ever be our normal again. In other words, brainstorm new solutions and back-up plans and contingencies. Work together and bring many fresh voices and creative expertise on board. Stop thinking that things as we were used to will ever be the same again.

Sports commentators on NBC were talking recently about horse racing and how the Triple Crown scheduling was turned on its head due to the pandemic. And now there is talk of maybe rethinking the scheduling because nothing about the horses or the industry is the same as it was during the late 19th and early 20th centuries when the Triple Crown had its initial beginnings (though it wasn't known by that name in the beginning). Horses are bred differently today and its not good for them to compete in grueling races two weeks apart (Kentucky Derby and Preakness). That's why so many trainers & owners tend to have their horses skip the Preakness. And it's also why winning the Triple Crown was extremely elusive over several decades before the recent wins of Justify and American Pharoah. Possibly, and hopefully, the industry might move the Preakness to the end of May, and move the Belmont to the end of June or early July. It would be so much better for the horses of today and in turn for that sport.
We dont need to rely on anecdotal evidence or generalizations. We have statistics that tell us the average age of death with it is older than life expectancy, and the overwhelming majority of them have multiple comorbidities. And those same stats tell us the flu is much more deadly to children than this is. We should get on with living like normal, because to the overwhelming majority of people the risk of death is normal. People can take precautions if they wish. But stop destroying the economy and society, includind sporting events that people have trained their entire lives for and who only have a very short time to compete.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wait, what?

You had started a thread to ask about Skate America safety protocols, and specifics have been discussed in your thread since two weeks ago.

Too bad that you have not been paying attention to your own thread. :(

You're right. I haven't been coming here everyday. Too busy. Life is very different these days, and there's a lot of activities competing for my time. Thanks for reminding me that I started that thread. I completely forgot!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
We dont need to rely on anecdotal evidence or generalizations. We have statistics that tell us the average age of death with it is older than life expectancy, and the overwhelming majority of them have multiple comorbidities. And those same stats tell us the flu is much more deadly to children than this is. We should get on with living like normal, because to the overwhelming majority of people the risk of death is normal. People can take precautions if they wish. But stop destroying the economy and society, includind sporting events that people have trained their entire lives for and who only have a very short time to compete.

Well I'm definitely not an expert on everything, nor have I been keeping up with all of the statistics and literature. No matter what, it's clear that authorities are still working hard at trying to figure out the most productive, safe and beneficial ways to battle this virus. My previous comments about 'generalizations,' is in direct response to your prior post that in my limited knowledge view appears to be making generalizations, and in a way that almost downplays the far-reaching impacts and effects of the current pandemic. Just as your bolded comments above do the same. We are still in the midst of what is an unpredictable and unprecedented storm.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
plenty of healthy people die from the garden variety flu every year.

Tell that to Amanda Kloots, wife of former Broadway star, Nick Cordero. And shout it out to all the many other surviving family members around the world who share similar COVID-related grieving traumas.

Amei

Record Breaker
Tell that to Amanda Kloots, wife of former Broadway star, Nick Cordero. And shout it out to all the many other surviving family members around the world who share similar COVID-related grieving traumas.

I didn't say anything to belittle anyone who died from COVID; but pointed out that your comment about "There have been plenty of reported cases of healthy people taken down" is not something unique about COVID-19, its something that happens with the garden variety flu every year. Last year there was a 31 or 34 year old personal trainer in Texas, who by all accounts was a healthy person, died after coming down with the seasonal flu. So trying to use "Covid takes down healthy people" as a reason for shutting down the global economy is a poor reason in my opinion.

My mother had a coworker earlier this year that left the office because she felt bad and went and got tested for COVID-19 and it came back positive - the woman who sits right beside her and shares office equipment with her and wasn't wearing a mask never felt ill and in the 2 times she went and got tested (as she had been around someone that did have it) never got a positive test result. If this was as much of a violent, superbug boogeyman that the media portrays it as then my mother should have had a second coworker test positive for the virus. By the way the first coworker that had it is a diabetic that historically takes little care of her diabetes and she was totally fine after 3 days.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I didn't say anything to belittle anyone who died from COVID; but pointed out that your comment about "There have been plenty of reported cases of healthy people taken down" is not something unique about COVID-19, its something that happens with the garden variety flu every year. Last year there was a 31 or 34 year old personal trainer in Texas, who by all accounts was a healthy person, died after coming down with the seasonal flu. So trying to use "Covid takes down healthy people" as a reason for shutting down the global economy is a poor reason in my opinion.

But who is doing what you said in your bolded comment above? I don't think anyone is "trying to use COVID as a reason" for the necessity of the lockdowns that we've experienced. The lockdowns were instituted to slow the rapid spread of the pandemic. To "flatten the curve," as health officials phrased that necessary measure. I don't think there's any question that the shutdowns helped flatten the curve and save lives, despite the tremendous sacrifices and the terrible disruption to our economies across the U.S. and the world.

More accurately, COVID is 'using us' to wreak its havoc. As medical professional and researchers work hard to develop a vaccine, our individual and collective ongoing challenge is to find safe ways to continue living and connecting with each other, and changing the way we think and view the world.

Country
Norway

My mother had a coworker earlier this year that left the office because she felt bad and went and got tested for COVID-19 and it came back positive - the woman who sits right beside her and shares office equipment with her and wasn't wearing a mask never felt ill and in the 2 times she went and got tested (as she had been around someone that did have it) never got a positive test result. If this was as much of a violent, superbug boogeyman that the media portrays it as then my mother should have had a second coworker test positive for the virus. By the way the first coworker that had it is a diabetic that historically takes little care of her diabetes and she was totally fine after 3 days.
You know, examples of young people dying of seasonal flu, is not a relevant argument at all. Intensive unit in hospitals don´t get overflod by flu patiens every year, having to worry about having enough ventilators or if the hospitals even have beds spaces for very sick people who needs oxygen to help breath or medicine. Seasonal flu can also be very dangerous for young people, but at least we got a vaccine for that. Is there anybody denying that flu can be dangerous? It has never been the case.

At age of 26 I got a really bad virus and got really sick for several weeks. It led to myocarditis, the virus infected my heart and if you are very unlucky you could die of it. I was admitted to the hospital, I had reduced heart pump function, a lot of ventricular palpitations and could´nt even go to the bathroom without my pulse reaching the roof. I´m fine now, but I might have scar tissue in my heart.

I´m not using this experience as an argument that Covid-19 isn´t dangerous just because I got very sick by another virus, and because many at same age has a mild version of Covid-19. I would still not use it as an argument if I were to get Covid-19 and I would have milder case then the virus that gave me myocarditis. For me it´s just a proof that no matter age you can get unlucky, and you should respect viruses. If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I would have changed the circumstances which gave me the virus, because for months it effected me both mentally and physical and for me it´s far better to have a healthy body and live with som restrictions, then to have to go trough the same again. It´s simply not worth the risk.

One example of co-worker who didn´t get infected of a virus is not a proof that the virus isn´t that contagious at all. There are plenty of research about how contagious the virus is. First of all there are different mutations, and some are more contagious than others. And some people are simply more contagious then others. There are also some people who never test positive/get´s the virus for some reasons. Blood type might have something to say. But those cases a very rare, and you can´t know how contagious you are. Yesterday alone it was reported 472 000 new cases in the world. Almost a half million new cases in 24 hours, with different measures all over the world. If it wasn´t for all the measures this would just be top of the iceberg.

Last edited: